• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oh my! Gold is up $58.90 in the past two hours

31 posts in this topic

The Brexit vote likely being "Leave" will make for a very interesting roller-coaster of a Friday for markets. I'm very surprised Britain voters voted the way they did...you can't save them from themselves I guess. (shrug)

So I will fix it for you Mr. Mc. Sheer stupidity for the isolationist vote. That is NOT politics, it is simply common sense. No marriage is perfect. But the economic ramifications for us all is huge. They have 2 years to revote and get this right. Expect everything you own now to have less value, except gold and silver bullion. Not good for the world for sure and not good for numismatics.

Best, HT

So I will fix it for you Mr. Mc. Sheer stupidity for the isolationist vote. That is NOT politics, it is simply common sense. No marriage is perfect. But the economic ramifications for us all is huge. They have 2 years to revote and get this right. Expect everything you own now to have less value, except gold and silver bullion. Not good for the world for sure and not good for numismatics.

Best, HT

Yes, Politics. Move to the WC. Try it there. :foryou:

Best, HT

Reported. No politics allowed, by anybody. :rulez:

The Brexit vote likely being "Leave" will make for a very interesting roller-coaster of a Friday for markets. (shrug)

Fixed that for you. No politics.

You are welcome. (thumbs u

Get a grip Mr.McKnowNothing. There was NOTHING blatantly political in my post. Why don't you go troll elsewhere?

The people voted. I can respect that. "Immigration" carried the day. I'm London 6 times a year for the past 25 years. Their immigration problem is real and has been progressively getting worse.

mark

Expect everything you own now to have less value, except gold and silver bullion. Not good for the world for sure and not good for numismatics.

Best, HT

Strongly disagree, and a possibly myopic overview.

Rather than the world being put into a large blender and whipped on high, instead we may have a trend emerging where you have descendants within each country taking pride in their individual country history, and want to preserve it all the more.

Coin collecting is all about preservation of history.

For me personally, I feel my "numismatic stock" just went up.

My collectable gold coins resonate louder today than they did yesterday.

The people voted. I can respect that. "Immigration" carried the day. I'm London 6 times a year for the past 25 years. Their immigration problem is real and has been progressively getting worse. mark

Sounds like some other places that we're all familiar with.......

Paul

Spain and the Netherlands are also considering votes to leave the union. The more that leave the fewer to bail out Greece. Greece could be cut adrift. In a few years we may see the end of the Euro and the return of the individual country currencies. (There tied it in to numismatics)

Expect everything you own now to have less value, except gold and silver bullion. Not good for the world for sure and not good for numismatics.

Best, HT

Rather than the world being put into a large blender and whipped on high, instead we may have a trend emerging where you have descendants within each country taking pride in their individual country history, and want to preserve it all the more.

The Brexit vote doesn't have anything to do with numismatics. Whether it turns out to be a positive or negative for coin "investors" is an entirely different consideration. If the value of anyone's collection declines, too bad. That is life.

Best, HT

amen to that.

Best, HT

amen to that.

No religion either

mark

Best, HT

amen to that.

No religion either

mark

Religion is quite OK to discuss on the Boards. Only Politics and GW are not allowed, according to Mods.

The people voted. I can respect that. "Immigration" carried the day. I'm London 6 times a year for the past 25 years. Their immigration problem is real and has been progressively getting worse.

mark

Many people do not understand what the influx of Muslim refugees from the Middle East might mean to western civilization and culture. You can call me a bigot until you are a blue in the face, but I have a right NOT to want to live under system of religion that demands my support of it. People deserve to be left alone to follow their faith as they see fit.

Immigration needs be an orderly and controlled process. I am not against immigration, but I am against open borders, that's what they have in the EU.

mark

Many people do not understand what the influx of Muslim refugees from the Middle East might mean to western civilization and culture. You can call me a bigot until you are a blue in the face, but I have a right NOT to want to live under system of religion that demands my support of it. People deserve to be left alone to follow their faith as they see fit.

Immigration needs be an orderly and controlled process. I am not against immigration, but I am against open borders, that's what they have in the EU.

Don't say I didn't warn everybody. The Mods just wiped out the WC thread. I would not rule out strikes/warnings. But, it is up to you....and the Mods.

mark

Very well stated sir. Why wont our voted in representatives say that ?

I'm not selling any silver or any high end cameos I own because I don't need to and don't want to. Sooner or later Americans will understand what has happened in EU. Let us hope it's not later !

mark

The whole of Europe is in the same boat.

mark

The status quo lost; those with huge financial positions based on remain are in real trouble. Margin calls.

And just like in the 80s, margin calls lead to the sale of silver and gold.

mark

Don't say I didn't warn everybody. The Mods just wiped out the WC thread. I would not rule out strikes/warnings. But, it is up to you....and the Mods.

That's the WC thread?

mark

Best, HT

The Brexit vote doesn't have anything to do with numismatics. Whether it turns out to be a positive or negative for coin "investors" is an entirely different consideration. If the value of anyone's collection declines, too bad. That is life.

Actually, the Brexit Vote has a lot to do with numismatics. Directly, yes, I agree with you, it has nothing to do with numismatics. But indirectly it has a lot to do with it.

Slightly more than half of the Brits that voted, voted for more control of their heritage and legacy. And the reason for this is that they cherish what it is that defines what it means to grow up in the UK and to be a Britton. The muddle through against all odds mentality, the accent, the midday tea break, the rainy weather, Wimbledon, and other very English traditions, far beyond my limited understanding.

Numismatics involves heritage and legacy. It bridges the two.

Imagine if you will, the United States many years from now with a complete breakdown of its borders, currency, and laws. Essentially this would be like a world where South America, Central America (including Mexico), and even Canada would have all been blended together into one big mishmash. Where would the numismatic desire to own United States historic coins come from, then?

In the past, the desire has come from wanting to better understand US history, and to own a piece of it. But if the US is diminished because it eventually loses its way, by being "overrun" so to speak, then no one would care much about its historic coins and past culture. (This is already becoming commonplace today when the average person on the street is asked easy questions about US History, and doesn't have a clue about names, places, and events.) And its rich and vibrant numismatic treasures would also suffer similarly, dying off in some way.

Also, think for a minute what ISIS is doing to many of the archeological sites of the Middle East. They destroy them. It is a way of erasing the past. Once a country's monuments are destroyed, the country is just that much less than what it once was, and what it once stood for, and what was great about it.

So, the Brexit Vote is like a first step in preserving and retaining what it is that makes a nation what it once was, still is, and will remain going into the future. It is an identity. And numismatic collectors should find this very easy to appreciate.

A few months ago, when I was acquiring numismatic gold coins, a coworker of mine thought it to be complete folly when I showed him one. He was only interested in the actual gold metal content. He thought it to be somewhat interesting, but only as a passing thought, and anything spent on it beyond melt value was money thrown away. No way would he every spend his money on a US gold collectable if it meant paying more than melt. But he is an immigrant to the United States. He just doesn't care about US History. Another view of his is that he feels that a person should be able to live wherever they want. There should be no borders anywhere.

We would have classic arguments, but I have always been able to get along with him, and he with me, as long as we can say goodbye come 4:30pm. We're good friends because we have endured each other's company over many years. :grin:

mark

That's the WC thread?

mark

Maybe "WC" stands for the "Water Closet" thread. :)