• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oh my, just saw a TV commercial for 'Tarn-Away' tarnish remover......

8 posts in this topic

and during the demonstrations, someone is shown rubbing a tarnished Morgan with a tarn-away soaked rag. The resulting coin shown being all polished and very shiny. Well, shiny coins are good right ?

Paul

I think Tarn-x is a little more concentrated than E-Z-Est and therefore does even more damage. But it is the same substance.

TARN-X TARNISH REMOVER - COMPOSITION /INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS

(From manufacturer's OSHA product safety sheet.)

1. Water

2. Calcined Kaolin Clay

3. Sodium Citrate

4. Polyoxyethylene Sorbitan Monooleate

5. Disodium Capryloamphodiprorpionate

6. Gluconic Acid

7. Methanol

Dips containing acidified thiourea:

Connoisseurs Silver Jewelry Cleaner

Ellanar Dip Instant Silver Cleaner

Empire's Instant Tarnish Remover

Goddard's Silver Dip

Hagerty Silver Dip

Medallion Care Tarnish Treatment

Midas Silver Tarnish-Off

ShineBrite Silver Dip

Tarn-X

Weiman Instant Tarnish Remover

Wright's Instant Tarnish Remover

Dip not containing acidified thiourea but produces the same results:

SilverMate

I think Tarn-x is a little more concentrated than E-Z-Est and therefore does even more damage. But it is the same substance.

agreed- I knew a lot of old time dealers when I was growing up who used them interchangeably, but you could always tell which ones used it full strength because the coins turned a dull off-white with diminished mint luster. Tarn-x is so efficient because it isn't dilute. What is really so surprising is how many of these over-dipped beasts there are in straight graded slabs these days when they are rather obvious.

The silver chloride (white stuff) can be converted to silver sulfide which will then "tone" to acceptable colors.