• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016 Will Be My Last Year posted by Augustus

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

All sets will have a 2016 end date

First let me say, that my 10 year journey into the NGC Registry Sets has been both fun and exciting. In addition to building some of the greatest Canadian Commemorative Silver coin sets, I have also made many friends and battled many competitors.

As with most journeys, a destination is reached at some point. Mine is the year 2016, the end date of all my Canada Commemorative sets. The Royal Canadian Mint has upped the number of coins released per year in my active sets to almost 200. At about $200 per coin (Canadian funds), you are looking at $40,000 annually just to stay current.

This level of spending (investing?) is not sustainable, and keeping up has become almost stressful. I will end all my active sets in 2016. No coins in my sets will be added with a 2017 date or beyond.

That being said, I intend to keep upgrading sets and staying active on the registry with new submissions and updates. I really enjoy it here! The registry is a pile of fun!

So check out my sets and have fun! Josh

17474.jpg

See more journals by Augustus

I made the same decision about 10 years ago with USMint products. I have a couple of crates full of US commemoratives from the 80's and 90's, but each year it seemed like they released more coins than the year before, and a lot of what they released didn't seem worth commemorating. 200+ issues a year is, in my opinion, gouging the customers.

Good luck completing / improving the sets you continue to work on, and have fun along the way - that's what collecting is all about!

200+ issues a year is, in my opinion, gouging the customers.

Good luck completing / improving the sets you continue to work on, and have fun along the way - that's what collecting is all about!

+1 (thumbs u

Good luck in all of your decisions and pursuits.

Maybe the OP could start a classics set. hm

Money better spent at $40K per year imho.

It looks like NGC is scaling back on the $20 Canada Proof set as well, or rather breaking it up. They now have 1985 - 2016, and a new set 2016 - Date. I wonder if the sheer volume of $20 releases has reached the limit of what NGC can fit in one Registry Set, lol.

Since I have already scaled back at the end of last year from other countries I was collecting, I will probably follow suit on Canada coins as well, thinking of just doing the $20 going forward, still undecided. Trying to keep up with the volume has been a bit stressful, taking away from enjoying the hobby and competition.