• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unopened Adventures?

12 posts in this topic

I'm curious to know if any of the members would please share any experiences with purchasing unopened GSA's, Redfields, bank wrapped rolls, and proof sets '50-'64.

I came across an advertisement in Coin World concerning unopened GSA's for $335, Redfields for $415, and original bank wrapped BU roll of Walking Liberty Halves for $850. Also, varying dollar amounts for unopened '50-'55 proof sets. Any luck? Are these offers ever worth the adventure?

I've never read any results on these types of purchases so curious.

Thanks,

Rich

Halves came from the mints in bags of $1,000. Rolls were assembled by bank tellers, bank machines and business owners preparing for a deposit.

'50 to '64 proof sets are easy to identify in mint cellophane through '54 then pliofilm '55 through '64. Do not open them. Leave those Ikes alone so I can cherry pick beautiful toned pieces. Sell Redfield coins back to whoever you bought them from and take the loss. Buy heavily contrasted Bicentennial Sets if you can find them. I found a nice '86 ASE on a card with REAL peripheral toning that NGC graded MS 69 years ago. Just rambling on. Sorry !

Recently, I have been going after US Proof sets on eBay listed as unopened. I have been shocked as to how cheap you can find these sets. So far, I have purchased 1960 - 1963 sets. I have been very pleased with the results. Needless to say, haven't been able to get them grades yet but projected values look very promising. Also, they are no longer "unopened". What is the use if your not going to enjoy them.

Tough bet on the unopened proof sets. A couple years ago I bought five 1964 proof sets that were sold as "unopened." I was curious and opened 1. Everything looked original, nothing special, and appeared unopened. The cardboard insert looked aged to envelop, original sealed cellophane was without disturbance; that is, without scuffs or marks.

However; there are many "new" envelopes that can be purchased on Ebay that are original specs for proof sets in the aforementioned years you encounter. This presents a serious curve-ball, and is why I ask this question for feedback. Scammers always probing for profit. Earlier unopened sets, singles, and rolls I hope others would provide feedback and knowledge.

The 1960 date proof sets that you purchased; I'm curious any small date?

Thanks,

Rich

When you say "unopened" are you referring to the box shipped in the mail or the envelopes?

None of the proof sets I bought starting in 1960 contained envelopes that were sealed, and they still aren't.

robec1347, I'm inquiring upon original, and unopened products straight from mint, or, bank. That is proof sets that were sealed the year minted, and had not seen light of day until opened presently by the buyer.

The question also includes original bank wrapped rolls, GSA's, and Redfields that have not been previously opened but have been sold as unopened for a premium.

I'm trying to get a read on what luck collectors have had with these unopened purchases. What did the purchases yield?

Rich

I bought my proof sets directly from the mint. Not one of the envelopes were sealed the first year I bought them (1960) or any year since. I question these so called " sealed" envelopes as being sealed from the mint. More likely the seller sealing them.

robec1347, I didn't realize this- I thought collectors from that era were just meticulously gifted when opening envelopes containing proof sets...at least that's what I thought when trying to open the '64 I bought. Maybe there's hope in finding a variety with these 4 other opened, and resealed proof sets. I bought these for $16 a set at a local pawn shop so not out unless contain something else....

I bought a few unopened GSA's and curiosity got the best of me after ten years. The first one I opened was the biggest dog I had even seen. I opened the second one and it was equally as beat up. I turned it over to look at the reverse and much to my surprise there was a sticker with a code on the back. I guess I got screwed. I really checked these boxes over well before keeping them and was satisfied that they had not been fooled with. Live and learn. I talked with a couple of dealers this year at FUN who deal in GSA dollars and they told me they would only pay $175-180 for unopened, the same as opened because so many have been screwed with. Buyer beware.

The only way envelope style or cello-pack proof sets 'have not been opened' (Maury Povich style voice) is to have the original box/envelope that the US Mint mailed them in, complete with sealing tape, address label, etc.

I did luck out on a couple of 64' sets where the Kennedy half dollar was the 'accented hair' variety, no cameos though, but a nice surprise. Who ever opened them previously was only looking for cameo contrast coins and not varieties.

Note: There have been early proof set boxes where the coins have been replaced by washers of the same size, approximating the same weight.