• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1932 Washington Quarter Submission Candidate

15 posts in this topic

I have a coupon from NGC for five free submissions that I received for my membership, and I was considering submitting this 1932 Washington Quarter. I took these pictures for your critique and opinion on whether this Quarter appears to be at least a MS65. That's my benchmark for sending in- I believe it is at least that but open for opinions on whether it appears < 65 or greater.

I used my phone to take these and found that I can zoom in to capture detail but there was a trade off with capturing color: couldn't get the color and detail together. It has beautiful blues and faint red on obverse and reverse. I'll try to capture color tomorrow and post- have better luck in natural light.

Thanks

Rich

162253.jpg.3ae1b78902f84de304b88ee05a216cdf.jpg

162254.jpg.3ace76ce7aba383565801730b36d1170.jpg

Now I'm not very good at being able to recognize a weak strike. So if someone is able to distinguish this as being a weak strike, this looks about AU to me. Not sure about a 65 even if it's a weak strike. Jmo.

I would say it is possible that it would 65, I don't think anyone will be able to say for certain based on your pics though. Why dont you submit and find out

Thanks for all opinions. Tricky stuff trying to photograph the color, luster, and sharp details of a coin. I agree, the previous pictures do look like the luster is subdued, and it might be < 65. I'll send it out Monday- never done this process either so learning curve all around. I have another '32 that has a few less nicks but color not there so I might just send both out.

Here's a few more pics; one of the obverse showing more color. I'd think this might help grade? The other pic following is the obverse is to show luster and I couldn't capture much else. The last picture shows luster on the reverse; but, a trade off once again with details and color.

Thanks

Rich

162258.jpg.6ffdd0a9378284f26964b85d897e1550.jpg

162259.jpg.4f28e5beb78db1db47b02b3c647db4e5.jpg

162260.jpg.9343b3e3c23f0f556d33dc71e856d1ec.jpg

I don't recommend submitting that coin five times....once should be enough. (W/o the haze you might get a point higher...but is that important?)

I don't recommend submitting that coin five times....once should be enough. (W/o the haze you might get a point higher...but is that important?)

lol

I wouldn't submit that 5 times in hopes of a higher grade- just one and done. Would be a waste IMO. I have 4 other free early birds with my membership to NGC so I'll be submitting 4 other different coins. I do have a '38 - D Walker in a PCI I'll be cracking out to be slabbed by NGC in the group.

I'd be ecstatic if I got a 65 grade; but would be happy anywhere between 63-65.

The coin in hand has very good luster and is bright on both reverse and obverse; but unfortunately the photo's do a poor job of capturing those attributes.

I'll be sure to post results for all when it grades.

The 1932 Quarter was put in system as "received" yesterday by NGC; along with the other four coins I submitted. Hopefully results will be available soon.

Kind of on pins and needles; as never submitted coins before. Hopefully my judgement doesn't render disappointment. Should be good learning experience either way.

One of my first submissions included a 1932 quarter, it had been unattractively toned and dipped out nicely grading 65 at PCGS. I see a lot of 65/66 coins with less than appealing toning for strong money. It is a great coin, was intended as a commem. 200 years after GW's birthday and became a workhorse of commerce.

Trying to "read" the somewhat dark images, the coin looks like it has nice original surfaces with nice color and decent luster. Unless there are marks on the coin not apparent in the photo, I would not be surprised if the coin gets a 65 or even a 66 if the luster is nice and full.

Hoping for a MS65 on the Washington but still waiting for judgement by NGC. My submissions are "Scheduled for Grading" at present and have been at that status past three business days. So hopefully soon! Two other submissions had toning and I hope it's natural so should be a good learning experience. I'll go out on a limb and list my other coins to be graded and my estimates:

1938-D Walking Liberty Half XF45

1880- S Morgan MS64PL Has nice rim toning

1949 Franklin Half MS66 FBL Purple toning covers obverse

1966 Kennedy Half Business Strike MS66

Rich

Results are in. None of the coins graded were AT, or, regarded as detailed; however my estimates on grades were off quite a bit. Part of this I'd credit to wishful thinking on my part, and inadequate experience in viewing enough examples in hand.

1932 graded at MS62

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/2689456-001/

No MS65- In hindsight; there were some hairlines in fields on this Quarter from being in a junk silver bin. Something I saw but didn't want to see, and thought maybe professionals would over look too. Nope!

1938-D Walking Liberty graded at AU-50

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/2689456-002/

This was a pleasant surprise. I cracked this one out of a PCI that graded XF-45. I thought this was spot on but wrong. I didn't think there was enough luster to qualify as AU grade but there was enough to be sufficient.

1880-S graded at MS64

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/2689456-003/

The grade was right but my thoughts of it being PL were skewed once again by wishful thinking. In hindsight; the obverse was PL- could read print a few inches away. The reverse was more semi-PL; didn't have the qualities as obverse.

1949 Franklin Half graded at MS63FBL

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/2689456-004/

Way off. I thought this had a chance at 66FBL as there appeared to be very, very few scrapes, and nicks. The toning in picture looks ugly; but, it is purple in hand and thought attractive IMO. The color probably subdued what I didn't see, or, perhaps the color hurt the grade?

1966 Kennedy Half graded at MS65

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/2689456-005/

Close to what I'd thought it would grade but not a MS66. I'll have to view high grade examples in hand to get a better idea of attributes. In hindsight; this does have a noticeable nick on Kennedy's cheek and probably what kept it grading higher.

In summary, good first experience. NGC was spot on with estimated turnaround time, and agree with grades in reflection.