• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$5,000 / month posted by Augustus

8 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

$5,000 / month

I have taken on a few challenges that only a few collectors have managed to complete. Those challenges include building top sets for Modern Canadian Commemorative coins. Being one of the most prolific Mints in the World, this challenge has become a $5,000 per month expenditure (investment). Just to stay current on these sets will easily set you back $2000-$2500 a month. This has everything to do with the sheer volume of coins that the Mint produces annually.

In the case of the S$20 series, I truly believe only 3 of us will ever complete this set. About 315 coins reside in this set, with many of the rarer issues selling for almost $1000 each. The cost to complete this set with top grade coins is about $60,000, with about a dozen issues that are nearly impossible to find or are already residing in the greatest collections. If you are up for a challenge, a really daunting and frustrating challenge, and are blessed with a great deal of disposable income, then you should attempt the Canada S$20 Commemorative set! My hat is off to Dan, Dave, Paul and Ali who have devoted vast amounts of time and resources into building the registry and the greatest sets there within.

17411.jpg

See more journals by Augustus

Wow! I thought the US Mint produced a ridiculous number of non-circulating coins, but it looks like Canada has taken it to another level. 50+ designs per year???

You have quite a challenge ahead of you, and I wish you success in your search for all of these variations (and the budget to pursue them). If I had $5,000 a month to work with, I'd probably go after a set of $20 Saint Gaudens, Seated dollars or Charlotte gold.

The Canadian Mint is not a government agency anymore. It is a "Crown Corporation" that functions as a cash cow.

Wow! I thought the US Mint produced a ridiculous number of non-circulating coins, but it looks like Canada has taken it to another level. 50+ designs per year???

Its marketing, plain and simple to separate people from their money. And in making this comment, I am not singling out Canadian NCLT but apply it to most NCLT generally.

I find the larger count sets more interesting and meet more collectors while I'm building them. The short sets just come and go.

Keep up the great set!! :grin:

I like things more in the middle. These 2-5 coin modern sets that people collect in MS70 mostly just make me sad - it's more a financial decision/purchase than a collecting journey. A lot of the 50+ coin sets are juat too daunting for me given current time and funding limits. But I'mreally excited to try to build up the rest of a 140 year old 11 coin gold set.

Only $5,000? Sadly I am now retired and will not be able to keep up with this volume. On the $20 Proof coins, look at the increase over the last several years of the quantity of varieties issued:

2010 - 8

2011 - 11

2012 - 16

2013 - 35

2014 - 66

2015 - 65

2016 - 34

It looks like with only 4 months into 2016, they will easily outpace last years quantity. I'm passing on a lot of different sets I have been building in the past, just to keep up with the Canadian issues. Even those I've had to narrow down as the volume for the $10 and other denominations continue to rise as well. Still, it has been a lot of fun and enjoyment over the countless years I've been doing this. :)