• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$$$ Plastic

25 posts in this topic

WOW!! :o

Almost speechless. :tonofbricks:

The phrases:

"caveat emptor'

'Be careful out there'

and

'be afraid....be very afraid'

come immediately to mind. :P

To be real honest, and I'm sure I'll be the only one who says it, but definately not the only one who thinks it, But I wish I was the one who found this in the 65 holder and bought as a potential upgrade... Score for someone.

That's the buyer I was talking about. ... I bet he is happy regardless of whether he does or does not know that someone made 6500 on this one coin.

This seems to happen alot with Franklins. CU had a thread where Tomaska (whoever he is) is mentioned.

https://forums.collectors.com/messageview.aspx?catid=26&threadid=937859&STARTPAGE=1

$300 to $18,500 jump in value ? 60-fold increase ? INSANITY, as Estelle Costanza once said ! (tsk)

Given the in MS65FBL slabs these days I'm not surprised at how someone has gotten older MS65FBL's to upgrade. Still, the price issue is ridiculous.

The $6,800 paid was certainly a price most collectors would scoff at. I haven't

been able to find a value on a 1951 MS66+ FBL Franklin. MS66 is apprx $640

and $17,000 for MS67.....huge jump! $2,000+ may be a reasonable asking price

...add $4,500 for the toning and you've got a "Everest", heh.

http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/pricesms/fnkhlvbl/prices61.shtml

Another winning price paid for a Benjamen.....

http://www.goldbergcoins.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/36/lot/76994/

Hmmmm...seems to me that the coin and its value are the same -- only the desire of the buyer has changed.

What will the future bring....?

Given the in MS65FBL slabs these days I'm not surprised at how someone has gotten older MS65FBL's to upgrade. Still, the price issue is ridiculous.

I'm unfamiliar with Franklins...why the huge price jumps for a 1-grade increase ? It's not like the coins are sought out by Heavy Hitters like Saints or Morgans or Caped Busts.

That link I provided I think one coin went from $300 to $18,000 with a 1 1/2 grade upgrade.

I haven't been able to find a value on a 1951 MS66+ FBL Franklin. MS66 is apprx $640 and $17,000 for MS67.....huge jump! $2,000+ may be a reasonable asking price...add $4,500 for the toning and you've got a "Everest", heh.

Wow...unreal.... hm

Another one of these coins that "may not be marketable in an NGC holder".

PCGS MS 66+ FBL designation puts it among the finer known pieces. Lets not blame PCGS but how about cult like mentality people that only buy PCGS coins because that slab says P-C-G-S on the label. I cross my PCGS purchases to NGC because the holder is superior in my opinion. My coins don't care what holder they are in, they just like to be looked at !

Also in an Anacs or Icg slab the coin would be worth a tiny fraction of the PCGS 66+ coin. Same coin, only difference is the perception of a high market. Maybe one of those hundred plus million lottery winners is chasing these... lol

I had trouble with trying to convince myself $200 for a Franklin half in the first auction is reasonable let alone the re-grade...but that's just me. :devil:

jom

Another one of these coins that "may not be marketable in an NGC holder".

PCGS MS 66+ FBL designation puts it among the finer known pieces. Lets not blame PCGS but how about cult like mentality people that only buy PCGS coins because that slab says P-C-G-S on the label. I cross my PCGS purchases to NGC because the holder is superior in my opinion. My coins don't care what holder they are in, they just like to be looked at !

^^

To me the OP coin is not visually appealing. (Maybe it looks better in hand) I probably wouldn't have paid $50 for it. I hope the new owner is happy with his $6K albatross. ("have you seen my new Franklin? I've got the nicest number around! Even comes with a coin.")

Another one of these coins that "may not be marketable in an NGC holder". PCGS MS 66+ FBL designation puts it among the finer known pieces. Lets not blame PCGS but how about cult like mentality people that only buy PCGS coins because that slab says P-C-G-S on the label. I cross my PCGS purchases to NGC because the holder is superior in my opinion. My coins don't care what holder they are in, they just like to be looked at !

I am sure the same coin in an NGC sells at a discount....but 'not marketable' ?

How much is the same coin worth in an NGC ? I'd be suprised if more than 10-15% cheaper.

NGC coin value means nothing even in comparison to PCGS value when these buyers are involved. When I said "not marketable in NGC holder" I was quoting a major PCGS only dealer who was referring to Newman coins crossed from NGC to PCGS as "not marketable in NGC holder". This Franklin would also fit in that group wouldn't it ? I certainly don't agree with this philosophy as it is damaging the hobby immensely.