• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2 cent piece

6 posts in this topic

I think it's an unc coin with great details. I don't see a stitch of luster so "details" might be the operative word. If luster is present and it's just the picture, MS 63 maybe?

At a glance I thought it was a proof because the photography details showed so much depth. Then I saw the die cracks.

It's covered in dust and has some corrosion on the right side of the shield. It needs a 2 minute bath in warm water IMO.

That should do no harm (no rubbing) obviously.

I think it's an unc coin with great details. I don't see a stitch of luster so "details" might be the operative word. If luster is present and it's just the picture, MS 63 maybe?

At a glance I thought it was a proof because the photography details showed so much depth. Then I saw the die cracks.

It's covered in dust and has some corrosion on the right side of the shield. It needs a 2 minute bath in warm water IMO.

That should do no harm (no rubbing) obviously.

This reply is for the owner as well as comments to your post.

I thought it a proof too, it is definitely a first strike if not a proof, and yes, even a proof could have a hairline die crack(s), I have seen enough in the three cent and five cent nickel series. I would grade it 65 BN because it shows no wear on the high points, and the high points are all there, these are not normally struck this deeply so it is a one in a thousand coin. I do see signs of luster and you are correct that it could have been tampered with, but without seeing it in hand I am assuming it wasn't. The only thing I can't agree with is putting a copper coin into water- copper will react with any impurities in the water, and even if you used distilled water there is the matter of drying it properly so that no spots or corrosion happen later. If necessary, I'd pay a professional to evaluate it and 'conserve' it properly. Nice coin, hope you got a good deal on it!