• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

50,000 State Quarters posted by Six Mile Rick

12 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Far more than I even imagined!!!

Friends,

It has been a while since my last submission. A few years ago I decided to build a modern set of State Quarters. Grabbing a large group of rolls I started the simple search to find MS67 coins in fresh mint rolls. I had been watching RollingCoins come up with so many whoppers for sale that I thought why not give it a try.

My first submission was a tough lesson on the series with MS64 to MS66 grades with a couple MS67's. Good study on overall strike and luster headed the second submission in a better grouping. My largest mistake was submitting coins I needed for empty slots instead of MS67 or better. The second submission had more MS67's than the first but now I was pulling PL's for grading. That was in 2014 and I was very happy to add the submission when it arrived home. In 2015 I spent my extra cash on sets that were already graded in the Lincoln series. I also purchased more state quarter rolls at the time to search for more additions to add in my grading box.

Finally in February I decided to get my membership updated so I could submit the stash of state quarters I had spent days on end searching for. I would say that overall I have searched 10 rolls for each mint mark in the set. Some date and mint mark have yet to even show a promise of MS66 or better. I sent in 86 quarters for this submission and will still have 8 coins needed after looking at over 50,000 different fresh minted coins in rolls.

I never knew how much was involved in finding the perfect coins that some of these type guys send in. I commend them all for the time they spend finding the great additions they offer us to add to our sets. The submission I sent in should be completed early next week and will be the grand finally ending of a larger than I imagined search.

Happy Coin Collecting,

Rick

17299.JPG

See more journals by Six Mile Rick

You are trying to find coins for your set. Some of the other guys are trying to find coins good enough to submit for selling.

The difference is, they look through the rolls and may have 50 rolls with none good enough, but 1 roll with 5-10, because they all came from the same machine, die pair and pressure settings...

The most important quarters to me in this submission that I sent this time are the last 36 on the list. They are the 2005 to 2008 coins. Not in mint sets, these rarely come up for sale in MS67 or finer. I have been searching every roll I can get for these dates and have a nice stash for the Kennedy and dollars as well.

The ultimate goal is to have the best 2005 to 2010 business strike sets I can build.

Prior to this post, I checked the mintages which seem to all be above 300 million for each SQ MM combination. Considering their recent vintage, the number of casual collectors for this series and the current population counts, I would find it very surprising if all of them are not a Judd R-1 with 1250+ in MS-67.

The PCGS counts are higher than NGC but the dates you listed are lower than the earlier ones. My suspicion (and this all it is) is that the earlier dates were probably saved and submitted in much larger numbers because the program was newer and the interest was greatest at that time. Later, casual collectors got tired of it and many others who started with it moved on to something else.

As for finding it graded for sale, given their low value, I would not expect to see it often. This is generally true of any coin, including the series I collect.

The most significant impediment to high grade circulation coins is handling. What comes out of the presses is extremely good and free of marks. Bags/rolls direct from the mints should be better than ones from banks, although rolls direct from Brinks and other coin sorting companies should be similar to the mint-supplied coins.

As for finding it graded for sale, given their low value, I would not expect to see it often. This is generally true of any coin, including the series I collect.

Very True!! And that is why I started searching rolls and getting them graded. So far I have done O-K and without the new submission added which will have 20 MS67's or better as doubles to sell or trade. Here is the set I have been working on.

Enjoy!! :)

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=181181

The most significant impediment to high grade circulation coins is handling. What comes out of the presses is extremely good and free of marks. Bags/rolls direct from the mints should be better than ones from banks, although rolls direct from Brinks and other coin sorting companies should be similar to the mint-supplied coins.

Roger --- Bags = No!! They are good for variety searching but high grade will not be in there. The bags are moved too much and the coins are reduced to MS64 and lower with too many friction marks. Mint rolls and Mint sets is the only way to find high graders.

Don,

My eyesight is still good. I was picky on the submission. I pulled out 36 coins right before I sent the submission and should do well overall.

Bud --- Thank You for the comment!!!

This was an awesome way to describe what you've gone through to put together your ultimate set, Rick!

I think I might have gone blind or permanently blurred vision viewing THAT many coins under a loupe!

Thank you so much for sharing!

Van