• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GSA Soft Pack 1878-CC Dollar

13 posts in this topic

You have to remember who graded these coins. The government hired some college students, gave them a quick course in grading Morgan Dollars and turned them lose. Coins with toning or marks tended to end up in the "reject" circulated pile with bright smooth ones were "uncirculated." Pieces with a few too many marks like this one end up as "other Morgan dollars" or whatever they called the pieces that didn't make the grade for the GSA slabs.

I'd say the coin is Mint State, perhaps closer to MS-61 than 62. The marks are pretty deep in the field and on the cheek.

these usually are treated better than their non-CC mint cousins so I'll say you have a good shot at 63 and likely at least 62. Make sure you don't break it out of the pliofilm- they will grade it as is in case you weren't aware. Good luck with it and please let us know how it graded!

I will add that I have seen these sell for twice market for the grade given simply because there aren't a lot on the market that are graded in the original gov't packs. Also, this is not considered a common date so it is likely going to be worth at least five hundred dollars once graded even if it only grades 61 or 62.