• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1921 Peace.....

17 posts in this topic

I know the strike on these is sub-par, which makes it even harder.

I also realize judging by online pics makes it that much harder. I had it at 55, so I guess I'm somewhere in the neighborhood. Thanks all for your opinions!!! :grin:

You guys need to look at the luster under the toning. The coin is a near Mint State piece. There is a slight break in the mint frost on Ms. Liberty's cheek and neck. The eagle has a combination of minor bag marks, a slight rub and a less than perfect strike which is true for almost all 1921 Peace Dollars.

I agree that it is most likely AU-58. There does exist the possibility that it could be determined market acceptable at the lower end of MS. It is also not beyond the realm of possibility that it has been cleaned.

Here's some new pics that show the luster a bit better. When I bought it, I thought it may have been lightly cleaned because of the diminished luster compared to my other Peace Dollars. I wasn't sure if its common for '21s to have a different type of luster because of the high relief or not, just knew they had strike problems.

1921P2_zpseeyupzo3.jpg

1921PR2_zpslz68ogt4.jpg

I like your 2nd set of pictures better -

You will need a loupe for this, but is the darker area near the ear of the hair an area that was not completely struck r is that rub? Same for the reverse on the eagle on leg and above?

The bottom area of the wing above the D of DOLLAR, is that a scrape or mechanical damage?