• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mercury Dime Broken Nose

10 posts in this topic

Zero Premium, very common. I prefer my Mercury Dimes with ALL of their design elements well struck.

There is a 1954-S Roosevelt that is interesting where the Designer Initials have been completely polished away. When it first made it into the Cherrypicker's Guide, I cherrypicked one and sold it for a very nice profit.

I have a 1943S MS 65FB with a broken nose/bridge nose variety and wondering what it was worth??

Here is one selling on ebay not graded

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940-S-Mercury-Silver-Dime-Struck-Through-Grease-Broken-Nose-Error-Gem-BU-/181989490490?hash=item2a5f6b3f3a

The bridge of Liberty's nose has been polished away as the mint attempted to repair damage. This is not a mint error, it is a die state. This is a very common occurrence on S mint dimes, and adds no value.

I have a 1943S MS 65FB with a broken nose/bridge nose variety and wondering what it was worth??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940-S-Mercury-Silver-Dime-Struck-Through-Grease-Broken-Nose-Error-Gem-BU-/181989490490?hash=item2a5f6b3f3a

The bridge of Liberty's nose has been polished away as the mint attempted to repair damage. This is not a mint error, it is a die state. This is a very common occurrence on S mint dimes, and adds no value.

Isn't that the same thing that happened to the 3-Legged Buffalo? Even the 1922 No-D is the result of ultimately filing the D away.

"This is not a mint error, it is a die state." Good reminder!

[PS: In this case, the die state was California.] :)

Isn't that the same thing that happened to the 3-Legged Buffalo? Even the 1922 No-D is the result of ultimately filing the D away.

This is exactly what happened on one nickel die, in 1937, at the Denver Mint (also on a 1936-D). The missing nose bridge dimes are very common over a number of dates and dies, which makes them less of a curiosity to the marketplace; thus decreasing their value. This seems to be a time tested fact, as both of these come from the same time period, and both have been known for many years. Some would also argue the missing leg nickels are more dramatic.

There's nothing at all wrong with pointing it out and asking a modest premium to see what happens. However, I would recommend it be properly labeled as a die state variety.