• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Getting Glue off of Slabs

13 posts in this topic

Plastic polish.

If there's a lot of glue, getting it re-holdered might be best. (Check to see if the glue is water soluble.)

Plastic polish.

I haven't seen that one. But that one seems pretty safe for the surface of the slab.

There's not a lot of glue. But it's that sticker glue that when you try to rub it off with your finger, it gets all black.

I use Meguires PlastX on every slabbed coin that comes into my possession. It will remove sticker adhesive. Wax on/wax off about 3 cycles and most every scratch has been reduced.

There was a thread here or ATS where someone started with like 500 grit, then 1000 grit then 2000 grit sandpaper (then PlastX) and made a PCGS holder look like new. The NGC holders have a greater area so the level of work would be greater. Still, I just hate slabs that look terrible.

nah, but I did see that as one of the suggestions on a different forum. Goo Gone was another. which work best and won't damage the slab though?

Haven't tried Goo Gone but I've used WD-40 and it works great. No damage to the slab.

Goo Gone or WD-40 are both good suggestions. One caveat, keep them away from any seams or cracks in the slab. Capillary action will suck them into the slab and you won't be able to get it back out.

For removing sticker glue I would NOT suggest the plastic polishes. They do have solvents that will soften and help remove the sticker glue (Usually the same petroleum distillates that are in the Goo Gone and WD-40) but they also include abrasives that will also scratch the surface requiring you to go through the whole polishing process to remove those scratches.

Peanut butter works because the vegetable oil dissolves the glue, In fact any light vegetable oil or petroleum oil will work.

Peanut butter works because the vegetable oil dissolves the glue, In fact any light vegetable oil or petroleum oil will work.

I agree! Peanut butter is my emergency go-to for stubborn labels, although I use Goo Gone when I have many stickers to remove.

WD-40, peanut butter, or Goo Gone isn't always readily available. I've seen a few collectors and dealers use "nose grease"---they rub the side of their nose with their finger to pick up the oil on their skin and then rub the sticker glue with their finger. You may have to do it more than once but your skin oil will dissolve the glue. You can then polish the slab with a tissue, cotton cloth, shirt, etc to remove any residual oils. I know it sounds gross but it works and you probably have a few slabs in your collection that had this treatment.