• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

should these coins be conserved

15 posts in this topic

I have inherited a few coins that have been in a cardboard box for probably 50 years. They have environmental problems or in the case of the Trade dollar maybe it is just toning. Sorry for the terrible photos but for now that's the best I can do.I am thinking of getting these coins and some others graded and am wondering if they should also be conserved. Also - Hello to all , as I am a new member. Thanks

P.S. I apologize for terrible photos and will fix that soon

160151.jpg.603b7ac18832bf0e5fe562359e771f90.jpg

160152.jpg.6be8c07622f4116faf8e49c3150b4016.jpg

The 1955 doubled die might be worth a shot to see if a professional conserver can arrest the problem, given its value. The Trade Dollar is more than likely a lost cause. That black toning is into the skin and will always be there.

I would definitely send the 55 in to our hosts for conservation and grading. The trade dollar looks to need it also, but I wouldn't think it would be worth it unless it has a CC mintmark. I may be wrong as the pictures aren't good enough for me to see the details of it.

Black spots on the 1955 are copper oxide moving outward from a central point of corrosion. NGC can probably arrest the problem and make it look good enough to sell, but it will never be "its old self" again.

The Trade dollar looks more like moisture damage, but as Bill noted, it might be too deep into the surface silver alloy to be rescued. NGC can tell you if it can be saved.

If you send them off to be graded, definitely get them conserved. NGC (NCS) has done an excellent job with the coins I've sent to be conserved. The environmental damage looks to be into both coins' surface. Both are cool coins, nonetheless.

Welcome to the boards! I hope you develop an interest in numismatics through your inheritance.

I have inherited a few coins that have been in a cardboard box for probably 50 years. They have environmental problems or in the case of the Trade dollar maybe it is just toning. Sorry for the terrible photos but for now that's the best I can do.I am thinking of getting these coins and some others graded and am wondering if they should also be conserved. Also - Hello to all , as I am a new member. Thanks

P.S. I apologize for terrible photos and will fix that soon

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Like some of the members from another forum do, you have just earned the "You Suck Award" for that '55 Doubled Die. Once conserved by NCS, it will then be graded by NGC. Let's hope that NCS is successful and it can get a problem-free grade.

Chris

I'd conserve them both. The 55 DDO will more than pay for most of conservation on all the coins you got in that old box and more. Although usually well gotten by other means--Nice Inheritance.

Rick

I would send the 55 DDO in for sure. They might be able to help the looks of the Trade dollar a bit but I don't know if it's really worth the cost.

If it's a special coin to you because of where it came from, send it in as well.