• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Acquisition: '56 Toned Franklin

16 posts in this topic

I really like it except for the nasty scratches on lower shoulder / jacket

10% ms66

40% ms65

10% ms64

20% gen scratched

20% gen art toned

I really like it except for the nasty scratches on lower shoulder / jacket

10% ms66

40% ms65

10% ms64

20% gen scratched

20% gen art toned

It is straight-graded. I'm playing fair. :grin:

What made you think the coin would be in a scratched holder?

I only thought it a possibility of scratched - I can not tell the depth or length of the line above GOD on obverse or the stuff on the shoulder / arm

my probability revision since straight graded (I still am not sure on luster /eye appeal)

5% 67

20% 66

40% 65

30% 64

5% lower than 64

Unfortunately I'm not a fan. The grade is probably MS-65 on the holder, but my grade would be MS-64, and I would not be a buyer. Black spots "bug" me on silver, and this piece has a few them.

Don't get too upset at me. I know I'm in the minority here.

MS 66, it’s a nice coin. I would like it even more if it did not have those dark spots however they don’t bother me that much. I am not that picky.

I'd have bet ya $50 that coin wasn't straight graded. Those 1000 spots on the obverse scream dip residue.

I'd love to pick the graders minds on this one.

I'd have bet ya $50 that coin wasn't straight graded. Those 1000 spots on the obverse scream dip residue.

I'd take that bet... not saying I don't agree with you because that's exactly what could have caused those spots... but it wouldn't prevent a straight grade.

The spots aren't the prettiest.

The black spots aren't attractive.

The scratches on the bottom of the bust are distracting (although, I think they are more likely planchet roughness due to a weak strike - very common on Franklins).

None of these will prevent a straight grade - and none of them preclude a 66 grade by the TPG's (as much as I'd like to call it a 65).

I'm very curious what the actual grade is.

Interesting coin.

Looks dipped and colorfully residue re-toned to me.

I'll say 65 shot at 66.

Can't see the bell lines from the pix. They appear incomplete.

It has very good luster on both sides. The colors on the obverse are much darker than they appear.

I have another 1956 Franklin that looks very similar to this one in terms of coloration and spottiness. Might be how they toned in Mint Sets.

326617-1_zpstcodgmy8.jpg