• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Numismatic pet peeves

80 posts in this topic

Really Mark? Please tell me more about this. Sometime after I replied this thread earlier I got on Ebay and the guy has added 10 X's more then ever before. ... his stuff is blatantly Artificial. These are coins that don't even look good mind you, coins that he calls beautifully naturally toned.

I haven't done it in a long time, but I believe you can go to "refine your search" and use a minus sign, followed by the seller's Ebay name in your search box. That should prevent listings from that seller or those sellers from showing up.

Yes, you can. You must also check the box to search the title and the description to make it work.

My biggest pet peeve is a seller who attempts to deceive the buyer by either description, exaggeration, or forgiving pictures.

I also HATE that "90PL" sticker. I also remember seeing this "90" being placed in front of other designations. The person that is doing this useless stickering is probably a huge tool.

Really Mark? Please tell me more about this. Sometime after I replied this thread earlier I got on Ebay and the guy has added 10 X's more then ever before. ... his stuff is blatantly Artificial. These are coins that don't even look good mind you, coins that he calls beautifully naturally toned.

I do this with certain dates I do not want to see in my listings but for what he is saying you would type in -(Edynamicmarketing) in the search box. I did not know this could be done for sellers too, AT is not so much an issue in what I look for, just certain sellers that post hundreds of junk coins at the same time and flood the first 3-5 pages of search results, or scans of slabs I can't really tell what the coin looks like anyway.

My pet peeve is all the ebay listed as "estate find". Like I give a wooden nickel where you bought it from.

But, but, but... It is "fresh" to the market and choice material... :devil:

I'm sorry LogPotato - I couldn't resist and I do this only in jest.

I do this with certain dates I do not want to see in my listings but for what he is saying you would type in -(Edynamicmarketing) in the search box. I did not know this could be done for sellers too, AT is not so much an issue in what I look for, just certain sellers that post hundreds of junk coins at the same time and flood the first 3-5 pages of search results, or scans of slabs I can't really tell what the coin looks like anyway.

My pet peeve is all the ebay listed as "estate find". Like I give a wooden nickel where you bought it from.

But, but, but... It is "fresh" to the market and choice material... :devil:

I'm sorry LogPotato - I couldn't resist and I do this only in jest.

I edited my post, after trying what I typed above and it didn't remove the seller's listings, so I'm not sure how to remove those. Looks like it only works for search results.

I think I can add a couple others also.

People who start threads complaining about sellers on ebay asking too much for thier coins! It is thier property and they can ask what they want to.

Also, people who knock others that have low value coins graded. I think its ok to give advice that its not cost worthy instead of telling someone that they are wasting thier money. Its thier money.

Very well said.

I would have just edited to read "Any mention about ebay for any reason". :whee:

Well I don't see a problem with warning people about bad sellers and buyers. As long as its legitimate and not an unproven accusation.

Agreed. That is why there is an "ebay advice Thread" locked to the top by ARCH. (thumbs u

Use it or lose it..... :whee:

Using a - and the sellers name won't eliminate them from your searches even if you search both titles and descriptions because the sellers name is not part of either of those. (Unless he puts his name in one of them.) But loo to see if the seller you want to block uses a particular phrase in his descriptions (Many do trying to be "distinctive") and use the - with that. It probably won't get all of them but it may help.

Meanwhile, back to pet peeves -

1. Slabs that have any manner of unnecessary stickers placed on them

2. Slabs that have the residue from the same removed unnecessary stickers

3. Slabs that are scratched and scraped so much they look like they were dragged across the pavement

#3 bugs the c*ap out of me. For some reason there is always some sort of scratch right dead center of the slab. It make trying to evaluate (smaller coins especially) especially difficult. Then there are the scratched slabs of proof coins making it impossible to see whether the coin or slab is the issue. Luckily I don't collect proofs very often or this would drive me up the wall.

What do these people do with these slabs anyway? My only guess the problems occur due to being an auction lot or something....

jom

I believe these are coins that never should have been slabbed but once they do, said dealer scratches the slab to hide whatever problem said coin has.... I just can't figure out any other reason for what you are talking about. I see it way to often.

Using a - and the sellers name won't eliminate them from your searches even if you search both titles and descriptions because the sellers name is not part of either of those. (Unless he puts his name in one of them.) But loo to see if the seller you want to block uses a particular phrase in his descriptions (Many do trying to be "distinctive") and use the - with that. It probably won't get all of them but it may help.

I have used a minus sign, followed by the seller's name in a titles search and it has worked. There is a "seller" filter that can be applied.

People who have issues with eBay. It's a huge part of the market and it's here to stay. I've had far more positive experiences than negative ones, and it has allowed for me to track down pieces that would have otherwise been impossible.

People who fall to see world coins as a worthwhile pursuit.

Ethnocentric perspectives.

People who have issues with eBay. It's a huge part of the market and it's here to stay. I've had far more positive experiences than negative ones, and it has allowed for me to track down pieces that would have otherwise been impossible.

Not just +1 more like +1,000,000,000

I can honestly say I've never had an issue with Ebay ever. I'm buying/selling countless coins weekly and even daily. I've bought &sold thousands of coins via Ebay and the only issue ive ever had was a USPS issue and nothing to do with Ebay.

I am a full time coin dealer, buying/selling coins has been my sole source of income for 3+ years now, and without Ebay, none of that would have been anywhere near possible. I LOVE EBAY.

All the pessimists who have nothing but negative things to say about such a positive and valuable tool are doing themselves a great disservice.

I have two numismatic Pet Peeves.

The first is registry sets without photographs. The second is Doug (GDJMSP) on Cointalk, he drives me insane!

I can honestly say I've never had an issue with Ebay ever. I'm buying/selling countless coins weekly and even daily. I've bought &sold thousands of coins via Ebay and the only issue ive ever had was a USPS issue and nothing to do with Ebay.

I am a full time coin dealer, buying/selling coins has been my sole source of income for 3+ years now, and without Ebay, none of that would have been anywhere near possible. I LOVE EBAY.

All the pessimists who have nothing but negative things to say about such a positive and valuable tool are doing themselves a great disservice.

You're lucky that you haven't had to deal with any bottom feeders yet. Unfortunately, not all of us are that lucky. And with eBay's anti-seller policies, we are right to gripe. Forced frivolous returns on the seller's dime, you cannot leave negative feedback for a buyer regardless of how abusive, etc. Don't forget about the forced holiday return last year (2014) that was 30+ days (at least if you wanted to keep your top seller rating/fee perks). That affected my consignments last year and annoyed me among other things.

On December 22, 2015 at 12:16 PM, AHFreak said:

I wish there was a way to block a sellers items from coming up in my search results. .. I'm sooooooo sick of looking at his junk..

"Edynamicmarketing"-

I too wish I could block his listings ! They are horrible!

I hope NGC and PCGS do something about coins he is gassing AFTER they are holdered.

I was able to find out who the guy is after some research. I know his name and that he has been involved with fraud along with his wife. They had a debt collection agency before deciding to get into coins. He is a rotten apple and it is hurting those of us who collect toned coins, the NT ones! He really is a crook.

On 10/24/2017 at 6:28 AM, ciaorock said:

"Edynamicmarketing"-

I too wish I could block his listings ! They are horrible!

I hope NGC and PCGS do something about coins he is gassing AFTER they are holdered.

I was able to find out who the guy is after some research. I know his name and that he has been involved with fraud along with his wife. They had a debt collection agency before deciding to get into coins. He is a rotten apple and it is hurting those of us who collect toned coins, the NT ones! He really is a crook.

I’ve had his listings blocked as part of my search criteria for almost a year. So far his listings haven’t shown up. 

When I go to a dealer and want to buy a specific coin to find out that that coin Is at the top of the trend and is in short supply and is only available at a seriously higher price, only to go back to resell the coin to the same dealer to find the bottom has dropped out for that coin and it is worth less than half what I paid. Or it could be That I'm just a lousy negotiater.

Could be you have a poor sense of timing, or you are following the crowd.  If you go to buy something and it is at the top of the trend and high priced, buy something else.  If you suspect the dealer is trying to mislead you on the trends that should be fairly easy to check by checking other dealers or recent actual selling prices.  Some talking up or down trends is to be expected because the dealer has to be able to buy lower and sell higher to survive, but if they are way off the mark it may be best t find another dealer.