• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Numismatic pet peeves

80 posts in this topic

The marketing of coins with words like: Toned, Rainbow Toned, Monster Toned etc as

if to draw attention to attractive or positive qualities of a coin when it is just plain ugly

brown/black/sludge/terminal stuff.

Since I am building a 1950-1964 Toned Proof Set these days, that one is at the top

of my list but there are plenty of others. I will let others participate a bit before trying

to fill up the internet myself. ;)

Buyers at shows that spread their redbook, coins for sale, newspapers, food wrappers, inventory papers ect across the display cases of the dealer where they are sitting so I cannot see the coins in them...

The marketing of coins with words like: Toned, Rainbow Toned, Monster Toned etc as

if to draw attention to attractive or positive qualities of a coin when it is just plain ugly

There should be some sort of standardized agreement... toned means more than 1 color on the coin... rainbow means just that - ROYGBIV - or at least 4 of the colors included and monster should be reserved for one of kind toned coins...

There should be some sort of standardized agreement... toned means more than 1 color on the coin... rainbow means just that - ROYGBIV - or at least 4 of the colors included and monster should be reserved for one of kind toned coins...

This is not the first time you have advocated standardization of something that does not lend itself well to such labels. And by the way, a coin that is only one color can be just as toned as one that is multiple colors. So I already disagree with your above standardization. ;)

This is not the fist time you have advocated standardization of something that does not lend itself well to such labels. And by the way, a coin that is only one color can be just as toned as one that is multiple colors. So I already disagree with your above standardization. ;)

Here is a coin of mine that I consider to be attractively toned and it only has one color that is noteworthy/attractive. I think this coin is awesome and if I were selling it (I AM NOT), I would use multiple positive adjectives to describe it since it is so cool in hand. I doubt most people browsing auctions would complain about my adjectives even though it really only has one attractive color. I also have a Franklin half dollar that is very similar.

32818225_large.jpg

The U.S. Mint practice of creating "rarities" by limiting mintages which are sold to flippers who reap profits at other collectors' expense. Those who have time and luck to buy the coins during the first 10 or 20 minutes via the Mint website. Others are out of luck.

The mintages should set at something like 100,000, and the mint should sell coins to all those who want them.

This is not the fist time you have advocated standardization of something that does not lend itself well to such labels. And by the way, a coin that is only one color can be just as toned as one that is multiple colors. So I already disagree with your above standardization. ;)

Here is a coin of mine that I consider to be attractively toned and it only has one color that is noteworthy/attractive. I think this coin is awesome and if I were selling it (I AM NOT), I would use multiple positive adjectives to describe it since it is so cool in hand. I doubt most people browsing auctions would complain about my adjectives even though it really only has one attractive color. I also have a Franklin half dollar that is very similar.

32818225_large.jpg

TonerGuy didn't merely say that a coin should have more than one color to be labeled attractively toned. He said "There should be some sort of standardized agreementoned....toned means more than one color on the coin". Hopefully he meant to write something else, because toned is toned, regardless of how many (or few) colors are involved.

fist time....Freudian slip? :whee:

fist time....Freudian slip? :whee:

No, and corrected - thanks.

The U.S. Mint practice of creating "rarities" by limiting mintages which are sold to flippers who reap profits at other collectors' expense. Those who have time and luck to buy the coins during the first 10 or 20 minutes via the Mint website. Others are out of luck.

The mintages should set at something like 100,000, and the mint should sell coins to all those who want them.

I don't think the Mint should ever place a limit on the mintage of a coin. The Franklin Mint does this, and everyone in the numismatic community knows that they are nothing more than a rip-off.

Chris

Personally I do not care for problem coins in slabs. My LCS has been picked over which leaves only raw or details slabbed coins in his cases. It is very frustrating to someone like me who lives in a small town with limited options for finding coins.

Some of the production limits are in the enabling legislation and the mint cannot change these. Other limits are imposed by time and equipment, or the necessity to cut off orders based on year of production.

Ordering limits are an honest attempt to distribute coins as widely as practical.

Flippers succeed only when there are little fish to be eaten.

• Sellers selling AT coins as NT on eBay
  • Being the underbidder on Heritage/GreatCollection auctions to dealers who proceed to apply a 200% markup to the coin and list it on eBay
  • Having to avoid the NGC/PCGS BST forums for a week after a limited mint release because dozens of people crawl out of the woodwork to quick-flip at insane markups.

If you are looking for a white coin, and my description states "Toned," it is a great service to you, because you don't have to bother clicking on it. The same goes for calling a white coin "White."

The word "Toned" does not imply beautiful color, but "Beautiful Toning" might. Words already have meaning, if we chose to use them properly. That's where the ball is being dropped.

I don't think the Mint should ever place a limit on the mintage of a coin. The Franklin Mint does this, and everyone in the numismatic community knows that they are nothing more than a rip-off.

Sure as long as everyone signs an agreement to never complain when they coins/sets they buy from the mint immediately drop in the aftermarket to half their value and even thirty years later haven't returned to their issue price. (And why are you picking on the Franklin Mint? They haven't struck coins for almost 30 years now.)

The one that is foremost on my mind right now is when an Ebay seller floods Ebay with Artificially Toned garbage, referring to it as naturally toned. There is a guy on Ebay right now who has been doing this for a couple months but seems to have just taken it to a whole other level. .. the seller is "Edynamicmarketing", his stuff is so blatantly AT, yet he states in every listing that it's NT, and it all the same... all AT garbage. Does anyone know who this is? He is a clown and he needs help.... that's my current pet peeve.

I wish there was a way to block a sellers items from coming up in my search results. .. I'm sooooooo sick of looking at his junk..

Here is a coin of mine that I consider to be attractively toned and it only has one color that is noteworthy/attractive.

32818225_large.jpg

Ummmm actually that coin has 2 colors.. blue and violet... perhaps my monitor is off though...

This is not the first time you have advocated standardization of something that does not lend itself well to such labels. And by the way, a coin that is only one color can be just as toned as one that is multiple colors. So I already disagree with your above standardization. ;)

You are correct and Im not going to stop. As long as dealers control this situation newb collectors in the toned segment of the market will continue to be ripped off. Im getting tired of seeing the AT coins on Ebay, dealers marking their prices up based on blatant puffery or outright lies, and TPGs allowing blatantly questionable coins into their slabs.

I could have missed it but werent you on a committee with Laura from Legend that was working on something about doctoring ? Whatever happened with that ? Honestly I do not know.

All standardization can be objected to. Its the nature of drawing bright lines. Why can 18 year olds sign contracts, die in wars and vote but they cant drink until 21. It makes no sense to me, but we have decided for some reason we want people to be 21 until they can legally buy alcohol in this country. Its a bright line standardization that makes no sense to most.

The one that is foremost on my mind right now is when an Ebay seller floods Ebay with Artificially Toned garbage, referring to it as naturally toned. There is a guy on Ebay right now who has been doing this for a couple months but seems to have just taken it to a whole other level. .. the seller is "Edynamicmarketing", his stuff is so blatantly AT, yet he states in every listing that it's NT, and it all the same... all AT garbage. Does anyone know who this is? He is a clown and he needs help.... that's my current pet peeve.

I wish there was a way to block a sellers items from coming up in my search results. .. I'm sooooooo sick of looking at his junk..

+1 and he's getting better. As a doctor he is evolving. Some of this stuff is getting into PCGS plastic.

+1 and he's getting better. As a doctor he is evolving. Some of this stuff is getting into PCGS plastic.

Do you have an example?

Will add this one as more than likely AT...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-PCGS-PL65-Canada-1-Silver-Dollar-Type-2-Small-Beads-Blunt-5-Toned-10802-/272083318937?hash=item3f596df899:g:YhAAAOSwxN5WbYYO

and this one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-PCGS-MS62-Canada-1-Silver-Dollar-Type-3-Large-Beads-Blunt-5-Toned-10808-/281890847663?hash=item41a200fbaf:g:CuMAAOSwf-VWbZTM

and this one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-PCGS-MS63-Canada-1-Silver-Dollar-Type-2-Small-Beads-Blunt-5-Toned-10805-/281890798709?hash=item41a2003c75:g:kS4AAOSwxN5WbYf9

and this one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-PCGS-MS62-Canada-1-Silver-Dollar-Type-1-Small-Beads-Pointed-5-Toned-10804-/281890821886?hash=item41a20096fe:g:qG8AAOSwAKxWbYdZ

and this one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-PCGS-PL65-Canada-1-Silver-Dollar-Type-3-Large-Beads-Blunt-5-Toned-10810-/281890793080?hash=item41a2002678:g:UoQAAOSwnipWbZX0

and this one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-PCGS-MS63-Canada-1-Silver-Dollar-Type-1-Small-Beads-Pointed-5-Toned-10807-/272083350128?hash=item3f596e7270:g:~~sAAOSwnipWbYkm

and this one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-PCGS-PL65-Canada-1-Silver-Dollar-Type-1-Small-Beads-Pointed-5-Toned-10809-/272083279946?hash=item3f596d604a:g:KDAAAOSwAKxWbZVe

I could go on but I take it that you can see the pattern here -- like Ive stated in other threads PCGS has gotten lax on modern toners and appears they might have gotten lax on foreign toners as well.

He also has several common dates Morgans in PCGS plastic that have similar colors as these examples.

When an 800 lbs gorilla gets an exclusive deals from a mints, and grossly over price the coins because they are the only game in town.

hm The head scratcher is the issue was only 500 coins, so selling the coins at 25 times cost or 5 times cost was not going to remotely impact the companies bottom line.

However it was a clear indication what they think of their customers! "exploitable resources"

(thumbs u So I salute them, but its not with the thumb

I know this is the US Coin board but my ultimate pet peeve is when collectors place US coins on a pedestal over the coins of other nations. Great coins can come from anywhere!