• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charmy's 2015 HOUSTON MONEY SHOW REPORT w/Lots of Pics!

8 posts in this topic

Sorry this show report was delayed, I’ve been trying to prepare for Christmas before I leave for the Las Vegas show tomorrow and have gotten behind. So this report will be a little brief as well.

I left for the airport Wednesday morning, and even though I often had the TSA Precheck logo on my boarding passes, I understand the government is doing away with the random assigning of the TSA Precheck. So I applied and received my own number and now all my boarding passes should have the TSA Precheck logo - it makes it easier to get through security (the lines are much shorter and you don’t have to remove shoes, jackets, or computers from your bag). I sailed through security with 2 hours to spare before my flight so I grabbed a yummy cup of coffee and listened to my audio book while waiting to board my flight.

IMG_4166_zpswpuntfwp.jpg

IMG_4162_zpslrozwpuw.jpg

It was a beautiful sunny morning as we flew out of Orange County

IMG_4168_zps1ucihpvw.jpg

IMG_4169_zpscolawo8y.jpg

IMG_4173_zpso1mzhxp8.jpg

A few uneventful hours later we were descending into Houston!

IMG_4175_zpsxgo4cgyk.jpg

IMG_4176_zps3dazhsfu.jpg

IMG_4178_zps7dqwkvlb.jpg

IMG_4179_zps9yuwfxkd.jpg

IMG_4184_zpsyj02zpuz.jpg

I checked into my hotel and noticed I had a view of the convention center out my window. Unfortunately, I discovered that there was construction along the entire front of the building! I thought to myself that this doesn’t bode well for an active show to have the entrance to the convention center obstructed.

IMG_4185_zps5rx8fvpc.jpg

Same view at night

IMG_4202_zpskpgtwpoe.jpg

The surrounding buildings of Houston

IMG_4193_zpszmlfoe6h.jpg

Same view at dusk

IMG_4199_zps3rtq8jms.jpg

And at night

IMG_4201_zps1oyrmmc0.jpg

After settling in, I went down to the bar for some wine and an early dinner. I noticed once again that the lobby had the wonderful life-sized chocolate characters on display.

IMG_4253_zpsx5mxwcqk.jpg

IMG_4195_zpsaku2zsfo.jpg

Set up was bright and early Thursday morning and the public was let in at 1pm, but the floor never got that crowded. I was able to buy several coins, most of which I forgot to photograph before I integrated them into my inventory. But here are a few of my newps, including this tough to find 1922 No D in PCGS AU58!

Coins_zpsrs7j9nrc.jpg

1922%20No%20D%20obv_zpsfic6bmce.jpg

1922%20No%20D%20rev_zpsozdm3k98.jpg

After the show on Thursday, we walked the few blocks to Vic & Anthony’s Steak house for dinner. It was a gorgeous evening, with lots of pretty Christmas lights and decorations all around.

1922%20No%20D%20rev_zpsozdm3k98.jpg

IMG_4207_zpsvmg2i4sw.jpg

IMG_4208_zpsjxhfcly8.jpg

IMG_4209_zpsja3xq29s.jpg

IMG_4210_zpsnwvg4tdq.jpg

IMG_4222_zpskjmdfwzh.jpg

IMG_4226_zpsespmjdkj.jpg

IMG_4229_zpsxmh6b47z.jpg

At the restaurant, we ran into fellow dealers Greg and Rose Pasman.

IMG_4220_zps2dewv4p3.jpg

IMG_4212_zpsftylzavs.jpg

We ordered a wonderful wine from one of my most favorite vineyards – Del Dotto!

IMG_4215_zpsgskdmdwn.jpg

Even though Vic & Anthony’s is a famous steakhouse, I decided on a somewhat more heart-healthy seafood dish and had their Gulf Red Snapper dish in Sherry lobster sauce. It was absolutely delicious!

IMG_4217_zps2cthtia2.jpg

IMG_4218_zpsm6l1qzj5.jpg

After dinner, we headed back to the hotel where we ran into some of our dealer friends in the lounge.

Rick Snow, Greg Hannigan, Chris McCawley, and me!

IMG_4231_zps84qvhgw1.jpg

Friday seemed to pick up and there was more public on the floor. One of my Houston forum buddies stopped by to say hi!

IMG_4244_zpsgjwlggqv.jpg

And my favorite adorable Houston YN also stopped by again!

Spacehayduke

IMG_4245_zpsp9mhovhp.jpg

The Buffalo Brothers!

IMG_4249_zpslol6qsnr.jpg

The PCGS Folks

IMG_4250_zpsqb0swvh1.jpg

I noticed Heritage was holding their auctions inside the a blocked off area of the bourse floor

IMG_4248_zpsxgc4ipgj.jpg

I know this photo makes the show look empty and it was by the time I took this picture since it was late in the day and the bourse had thinned out quite a bit.

IMG_4246_zpsenl2p65f.jpg

IMG_4247_zpsywq6nibs.jpg

I had brought my own bottle of wine to the show, another one of my favorite Napa vineyards!

IMG_4251_zpsluq9b7la.jpg

After the show on Friday, we went to our favorite Houston Mexican restaurant, El Tiempo Cantina, which is always packed, especially on a Friday night!

IMG_4262_zpsn8sqmoni.jpg

IMG_4254_zpspyywhzi5.jpg

We were looking forward to their very tasty margaritas and most excellent Mexican dishes

IMG_4256_zpszwgopt5l.jpg

I had their enchiladas while one of my dinner companions had ribs and quail!

IMG_4257_zpso1vmrb4q.jpg

IMG_4258_zpscxrjb3x8.jpg

This is a beautifully carved buffalo in the lobby

IMG_4261_zpscwxlr7oc.jpg

Saturday began slow, but picked up after a while. We had heard that the Houston economy was bad due to large layoffs as a result of the falling gas prices. And, as I mentioned earlier, with the construction in front of the convention center, many people said they had a very slow show. I was a little worried myself since sales had been very slow the past couple days, but I was grateful that I had some decent sales on Saturday. But soon it was time to pack up and head to the airport for my trek home.

Bye-bye Houston until next year….

IMG_4264_zpsolh0rndd.jpg

IMG_4265_zpsjwiawuhk.jpg

IMG_4266_zpsx66geifb.jpg

Hello Orange County!

IMG_4268_zpsj8urlca6.jpg

And adorable Penny!

IMG_4272_zpsvrwpoawm.jpg

Who just couldn’t resist climbing and hanging out in our as yet undecorated Christmas tree!

IMG_4280_zps58pfdh4g.jpg

Next up: The Las Vegas Westgate show (this weekend), and of course the FUN show in Tampa in January. Until then, from my family to yours, I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

IMG_4304_zpshwmq2xt4.jpg