• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I actually completed a set! posted by Walkerfan

11 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

100% done with my Date Set of Walkers

After six years of working on my Early Set and Date set; I finally finished my One Per Date Set. I lucked into a 1921-D and I had pondered buying it but the dealer's images looked like it had dull luster. The next day, in my office at work, I looked at the NGC images and the luster looked amazing for an early Walker. I couldn't get any work done, as that coin was on my mind. It also had a great strike and was problem free. I decided to buy it and called to make and offer, which was accepted by one of my favorite dealers.

The 2nd to last coin needed was one for the 1943 slot. This was the first time in my life that I bought a coin just because of the registry points. I wanted a 1943-S, b/c I try to buy the toughest mint marked coin in the highest grade that I can. But a 1943 P coin in 67 has 249 points more tan a 1943-S in 66, so I went with the 1943 P.

The last coin that I needed was 1934. I bought a sharp, lustrous 1934-D in MS 65 only to discover it had not one but TWO reeding marks on the reverse, which were distracting to me, so I flipped it and made $25 bucks. I noticed a 1934-D in MS 65 OGH, in a dealers website, that I had not bid on in a previous auction, but he had marked up 35% above the hammer price. I offered 15%, which was eventually accepted. It has a FULL strike (including the HEAD, which is super rare for the issue). It is fuller and sharper than the Cajun Collection OGH MS 66 that sold for $3800, although not quite as clean and lustrous but close.

My set grades no lower than MS 64, in which all of the 64s are in the early 1916-1933 years. The middle years and late years grade MS 65 through MS 67.

Also, 17 of 25 coins or 68% are the rarest mint marks for the year and 7 of 25 coins or 28% are second rarest for the year and 1 coin or 4% is the most common for the year but it is the highest graded (MS 67).

Thank you to all my board member friends who have stayed with me and helped me along the way and through the years---Bill Jones, Jom, Elbesaar (MFH ATS), Breakdown, Walkerguy21D (ATS), Dadams and many, many more that I am forgetting.

I also want to thank Jason Smith (DLRC) and Stuart & Vic (Bozarth Numismatics) for providing me with my last two coins for this set.

17092.jpg

See more journals by Walkerfan

Hey Walkerfan!

Congrats my friend, congrats!! What a great accomplishment! It's a great feeling to complete a set, though I have only completed one so far; Ottoman Empire nickel 20 Para coins. But even there, I'm still missing a non-competitive issue. That's a nice '21-D you picked up as well! That's a tough issue to find nice, and you selected an awesome example!

~Tom

Congratulations on your fantastic set! I started collecting Walkers in the 1960's when I was in high school (you could still get common dates in change). After close to 20 years building my certified set, I can appreciate all of the time and effort you put into your sets. I'll never be able to upgrade all of the early dates to MS but hope to eventually get to at least AU on the 1919's and 1921's.

You have also found a couple of really excellent dealers to work with. Several coins in my sets came from DLRC, a couple from Bozarth, and they are both a pleasure to work with.

Tom---Thanks a lot, my friend! It is a great feeling and I've been quite fortunate. Glad that you were able to complete a set, too. Thank you for the kind words about my key date coin.

CBC--Thank you! I started collecting Walkers raw around 20 years ago. Before that my dad introduced me to them as a child in the 1970s. I started my NGC Registry set in 2005. I think that your set was one of the sets that I used to dream about back then. I was dormant for about 4 years but made the commitment in 2009 to really get serious. I'm really glad that you like my set. It means a lot coming from you.

Absolutely fantastic! I am searching for several coins and I know how daunting it can be. This year my one foray into the SE was truncated by my wife deciding to get apendicitis in North Carolina just as I began a search in that area for a Bechtel mint goldie.

Great going

Brian

Wow....What a Nice collection. I think I like your 1917 WLH the best. Great color and sharpness of strike. I have not looked at a whole lot in the earlier dates, I am still up in the Late 30's and 40's, but that 17 looks sharper than any I can remember in that time period that I have seen to this point. It is hard to believe the best that got was 64, it looks gem to me in the picture.

I also loved your 1920. The sharpness of the head especially, the hair line on the liberty is freakishly sharp. Again congrats... (thumbs u

WalkerFan,

GREAT SET!!!

Some day I will complete a set. Hard to do with so many friends that collect and I give in to help out their sets too.

But then that is where all the fun is -- collecting with my friends. :)

Thanks, Kraig, so much for the kind words. I agree with you regarding the '17 S O coin. I bought it, as soon as I saw it. The separation is great and surfaces are clean and lustrous. I have seen many a MS 65 that look like garbage--flat and dull and they are big ticket coins. It is a really tough issue to find in nice shape. Glad you like the 20-D, too. It is also pretty sharp and it was the first coin that I picked up, when I got serious again and resumed back in 2009.

Hi Rick---Thanks, buddy. I am sure that you'll complete a set someday. Coin collecting wouldn't be the same without having friends to help and to share them with. Keep up the good work.

Thanks, Brian and Johnny. Brian--I hope that your wife is on the mend. Yes, the search can be daunting. I've had impossible coins just fall into my lap and, then other times, struggled with much more 'common' issues.

Congrats Walkerfan! I don't have a complete set yet, but in 2016, I am committing to working on and hopefully finishing my Peace Dollar set. I always seem to get side tracked by my Type set!