• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newest Toned Peace Pick-up....

43 posts in this topic

Almost 1/2 original BIN price doesn't necessarily have anything to do with whether it was bought at a good price. But it looks quite attractive and as long as you paid less than about $35, I think you're OK. :devil:

Almost 1/2 original BIN price doesn't necessarily have anything to do with whether it was bought at a good price. But it looks quite attractive and as long as you paid less than about $35, I think you're OK. :devil:

Ive tracked 63 public sales of * toned Peace $ for the past 8-9 years. (There are only 205 * Peace $ in existence) so I have a pretty good idea what these sell for. And yes I got it for $28.50. :headbang:

Yes, it is a Pi Peace.

A.K.A. a 314XXX-XXX Peace Dollar from the "Leather Pouch Hoard".

It doesnt have the 314 designation. It think it was cracked out and resubmitted. Pretty brave if you ask me... I do believe it is a Leather Pouch Hoard coin though... it has that look.

It doesnt have the 314 designation. It think it was cracked out and resubmitted. Pretty brave if you ask me... I do believe it is a Leather Pouch Hoard coin though... it has that look.

Wow, pretty brave indeed! Congrats on your pickup.

Sign me up for all colorfully toned MS graded Peace dollars, star or not, selling for $35 or less.Ill take them all sight unseen. $28 for that one is a gift.

Sign me up for all colorfully toned MS graded Peace dollars, star or not, selling for $35 or less.Ill take them all sight unseen. $28 for that one is a gift.

I was joking about the $35, I'm sure that the OP knew it and that he, too, was joking about the $28 price he paid.

I was joking about the $35, I'm sure that the OP knew it and that he, too, was joking about the $28 price he paid.

Well stranger things have happened. Unfortunately not enough to me. Hard enough seeing circulated bullion pieces for 28$ on ebay let alone something like that.

Though I have paid $25-$50 for raw toned Peace $ that have found their way into * designated holders...

There are scores out there waiting to be found... it just requires patience and perseverance and a lot of luck.

NGC only designates about 4-5 * toned Peace $ per year.

The auction, photos, the grade, and the original asking price (but not the sale price) are easily found by searching the auction site. In this case the premium paid for toning is likely quite significant, many multiples of what a white coin at the same numerical grade would sell for.

It's not a game for me, but the color is attractive and I'm sure the OP is happy with it.

What's the "*" for on this coin? The cheek cuts alone are enough to downgrade it.

The star is for what in the opinion of NGC is exceptional eye-appeal, not a comment on the grade.

The auction, photos, the grade, and the original asking price (but not the sale price) are easily found by searching the auction site. In this case the premium paid for toning is likely quite significant, many multiples of what a white coin at the same numerical grade would sell for.

It's not a game for me, but the color is attractive and I'm sure the OP is happy with it.

I got it for the low end of what most MS64* toned Peace $ have sold for over the past decade or so. Which is where it should have been priced. The seller's original asking price was indicative of prices for the period 2007-2010.

I am happy with it. When you think that there are only 205 in existence and they only make 4-5 a year a maybe 3-4 come up for sale each year its always good to grab one at a reasonable rolled-back price.

"When you think that there are only 205 in existence..."

No. Approximately 205 have been identified.....thousands likely exist.

He was speaking of those graded and awarded a star by NGC, not uncertified examples, which might qualify, if submitted for grading.

And considering how long NGC has been grading coins, by now, they have probably seen a very high percentage of the examples extant, which might qualify.

Thousands likely dont exist... Ive been searching for them for 15 years. I have "made" approximately 5% of all of the * designated toned Peace $ in NGC's census.

NGC has graded 684912 Peace $ give or take a few for crack-outs and resubmits.

Out of that total 205 have been given the * designation. Of the 205 examples given the * designation approximately 80-90% have been given it for toning.

So in actuality the percentage of * toned Peace dollars is .0002 % of all NGC graded Peace $.

Sure there are probably some very nicely toned Peace $ in PCGS plastic but very few will make the * grade. I know I have tried.

If there's a "hoard" of spectacularly toned Peace $ sitting in some vault, please tell the owner to submit them because of you know of a willing buyer.... :roflmao:

I don't have any * peace dollars :(

You should give the 1st and 3rd coins in your sig at shot at a * review...

Although I cannot for the life of me understand how a fully purple 21 peace dollar with even toning and nice orange flashes along with great silky luster didn't get a * when graded, it is in an NGC prong holder so I have just figured they don't care for it as a toner, but in the end it may be the reason I own it at all as it sold at acution to me for the price of an untoned 64. With a star maybe someone takes it much higher and I never own it at all.

I actually feel the 4th coin has the best shot, the red 24. Its in a pre * fatty and the reverse also has some nice faint but contnous rainbow bands. The first coin is raw and I have gone back and forth on whether I think its NT or not. I may one day submit it but so far at least 2 other owners have not sent it in so maybe it is what it is.

Although I cannot for the life of me understand how a fully purple 21 peace dollar with even toning and nice orange flashes along with great silky luster didn't get a * when graded, it is in an NGC prong holder so I have just figured they don't care for it as a toner, but in the end it may be the reason I own it at all as it sold at acution to me for the price of an untoned 64. With a star maybe someone takes it much higher and I never own it at all.

I actually feel the 4th coin has the best shot, the red 24. Its in a pre * fatty and the reverse also has some nice faint but contnous rainbow bands. The first coin is raw and I have gone back and forth on whether I think its NT or not. I may one day submit it but so far at least 2 other owners have not sent it in so maybe it is what it is.

I think #3 and #4 look like the most viable candidates to me. I don't think #1 is MA, but of course it is all subjective.

If I would have kept the 21 I would have sent it in for a review. Ive seen it in hand. Just because it didnt go the first time doesnt mean it wont on a re-eval. As for the 4th coin, I would bet against it. I dont think NGC likes spots/breaks in the toning. As for the first coin, I think its your best shot since its not been graded. If it ATs , try again. But as for what they look for in a * toned Peace $ it has it and more.

If I would have kept the 21 I would have sent it in for a review. Ive seen it in hand. Just because it didnt go the first time doesnt mean it wont on a re-eval. As for the 4th coin, I would bet against it. I dont think NGC likes spots/breaks in the toning. As for the first coin, I think its your best shot since its not been graded. If it ATs , try again. But as for what they look for in a * toned Peace $ it has it and more.

I've submitted a dozen Peace toners which were nicer than previously star-graded peace dollars, and haven't made a single one.

"Thousands likely dont exist... Ive been searching for them for 15 years."

Funny. You are one person looking through a few thousand coins out of hundreds of millions. Your comments about availability are nothing more than a pleasant diversion, not based on objective investigation.

Fun to do - yes.... :)

Funny. You are one person looking through a few thousand coins out of hundreds of millions. Your comments about availability are nothing more than a pleasant diversion, not based on objective investigation.

As much as it pains me to do, I am going to have to agree with Roger here.

Just muse to yourself about the possible number of old silver dollar collections languishing in attics, basements, and bookshelves in homes across the country. There are probably numerous monster toned Peace dollars that simply haven't surfaced to the market yet.

As much as it pains me to do, I am going to have to agree with Roger here.

Just muse to yourself about the possible number of old silver dollar collections languishing in attics, basements, and bookshelves in homes across the country. There are probably numerous monster toned Peace dollars that simply haven't surfaced to the market yet.

Considering that the coins were produced roughly 90 years ago and the major grading companies have been in business for about 30 years, if those coins haven't surfaced by now, who knows when or if they will? All collectors can do is try to obtain the ones that are known to be available and keep in mind that others might surface at a future time.