• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toned 1959 P & D Franklins for the Dansco

4 posts in this topic

Here are a couple raw toned Frankies for the Dansco. Given that they're raw Dansco's they are just meant to be fun inexpensive projects.

In 1959 the Mint stopped using paper and cardboard for Mint Sets, and started using plastic flatpacks instead. Because of this it is MUCH more difficult to find decently toned Franklins from the 1959 - 1963 era, than from previous years. The P was bought via eBay, and I got the D at a show. The P mint was in a PCGS MS64FBL holder, which I cracked it out of. IMO it could easily go MS65FBL. Of note is the striated toning pattern on the reverse. This is a toning pattern that appears on some 1959 Franklins. Given the lack of paper in the Mint Set packaging it is not an effect of Mint Set paper toning. In all cases that I have seen it only appears on one side of a coin. This is a pattern that also occasionally occurs in 1960. The best explanation that I've heard is that something occurred in the rolling of the sheets of metal that would end up becoming planchets. FWIW, I also found a decently toned 1960 Franklin with this pattern to include in the Dansco, so you can see the coins essentially next to each other. The images are by Bob Campbell, and I think he did an excellent job.

bc1959_rFR2o5th_zpsce081119.jpgbc1959_rFR2r5_zpsc98ca8cc.jpg

bc1959D_rFR1o3ColTh_zps1b559c88.jpgbc1959D_rFR1r6LinesTh_zps799d82e7.jpg

I am always a huge fan of that stripey toning. It has a really unique look! It is found on dimes, quarters and halves.

Also, there is a current guess the grade thread with a 54 quarter that exhibits the same pattern. Never seen it on a coin of that year before.