• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1892 Columbian Commem - You vs. PCGS

19 posts in this topic

I just got done photographing a Columbian Commem that arrived in the mail yesterday. Although I already have a few in my collection, lol... this one's a keeper!

Curious to see how you guys would grade it.

xXc10LqSLSKJCYfGeMPG_1892%20Columbian%20Commemorative%20Half%20Dollar%20pcgs%20ms64%20-%20white%20no%20label.jpg

This type of toning make it tough to tell from pictures if the high points might be worn. It could be an AU58 or an MS65.

Yep, I was just asking for fun. I don't think anyone is holding your feet to the fire on your guess... I know I'm not anyways.

I love the gold rim toning but the speckled purple tone on the devices is strange----fingerprint?? Anyway, assuming no rub, which I can't tell for sure from the images, I'd go with 65. It's colorful but lacks luster a bit. Beautiful coin nonetheless.

These coins are always a bear to grade, especially from photos. The toning makes it harder. Some of these coins are weakly struck and there is always a debate as to whether it's the strike or a rub.

I'm going to say MS-62 on this one because of the weakness in Columbus' face and the sales on the reverse.

I have one with very attractive toning that is sharper than this that PCGS only graded MS-63, despite the fact that the dealer who owned it sent it in three times. I think that my coin is under graded by 1 point. It is in a green label holder, which was often a sign of conservative grading ... although you can't assume that.

LX4ocBsS5ayEebm4LZSU_1892%20Columbian%20Commemorative%20Half%20Dollar%20pcgs%20ms64%20-%20white.jpg

I agree, it's stuff to interpret the luster on heavily toned silver. This is something I personally use to help distinguish between rub or a weak strike. This one has strong underlying luster when looked at in hand and is struck slightly on the weak side. Although a weak strike, it's fairly common for Columbian's and it doesn't distract from it's extremely clean surface and eye appeal. I actually paid a tad extra for this one, but didn't mind at all since it's staying with me for a good long while.

Thanks to everyone that put their guess up... Danye West nailed it ;)

These coins are always a bear to grade, especially from photos. The toning makes it harder. Some of these coins are weakly struck and there is always a debate as to whether it's the strike or a rub.

I'm going to say MS-62 on this one because of the weakness in Columbus' face and the sales on the reverse.

The TPGs are bizarre in grading these. I have seen coins in MS66 holders with weakness in those locations and it appears to plague this issue for some reason. For me, I don't think the coin has the luster to make it into a gem holder based on what I see.

Bill, I think by today's standards that is not a 63 any longer. If you want to keep it in that older PCGS holder then I would think your coin should be CAC bound sometime in the future. Beautiful example and I especially like the frosty luster in the toning!