• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you call this coin a moose?

28 posts in this topic

I've heard the term "moose" tossed about on the boards referring to supremely toned coins. Do you think this qualifies?

ek2ctt.jpg2m3fyvm.jpg

In my opinion, a "Moose Coin" has to be purchased in the raw, for cheap, then be graded at a super high level.

I don't know if any Jefferson Nickel can meet this level.

Your's is nice for sure.

:)

Pretty close - maybe if you switched the obverse with the reverse? Either way, it's one of the nicest I've seen.

And Jefferson nickels can most definitely be mooses (meese?). Angel Dees had a 68* about a decade ago, referring to it as the "prom queen". I'd love to know what happened to that coin.

In my opinion, a "Moose Coin" has to be purchased in the raw, for cheap, then be graded at a super high level.

Your's is nice for sure.

A "moose", "monster", "Godzilla" or whatever, has nothing to do with the circumstances under which the coin is purchased, or the price paid for it. It's all about the coin, itself. And the one posted sure looks like a "moose" to me.

I don't hear the term often, but when I do, people tend to use it interchangeably with "monster" toned. If so, by Jefferson Nickel standards, I would say yes. Is this from the Appalachian hoard?

Moose - An incredible coin, usually one that grades MS/PR-67 or higher or a coin with astounding eye-appeal (c.1976-1980) A phenomenal quality coin. Evidently penned by "Boy Wonder" Kevin Lipton.

Depends on grade also. A coin has to be "all there" for "Moose" to apply. The toning sure is nice enough. If it is graded 67 or higher I would say it's a moose. Based on the picture provided, I have my doubts, however.

Your's is nice for sure.

A "moose", "monster", "Godzilla" or whatever, has nothing to do with the circumstances under which the coin is purchased, or the price paid for it. It's all about the coin, itself. And the one posted sure looks like a "moose" to me.

I stand corrected. I was thinking of a "you suck" award. :blush: