• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where do you get your coins?

23 posts in this topic

I buy coins on eBay, Heritage Auctions, Great Collections Auctions and from dealers.

I buy most of my coins in PCGS or NGC slabs from photo, but the seller must allow a return and refund if I do not like the purchase.

If you start buying coins on eBay, there are a lot of do's and do not's, or you can be taken advantage of by the sellers.

I buy certified (PCGS,NGC) from Ebay. Most of the photos are good enough to pick out the coin you want. Beware of the lowest priced, It's probably that way for a reason, but not always. Also It is sometimes hard to tell a coin has an even overall toning to it. (dark coin) I do not buy fuzzy picture coins. If the person can't be bothered to take a good picture, the coin probably has problems. I have bought literally over a thousand with only a few problem coins. I returned a couple with no questions. I did not return a couple of very cheep coins (15$). I have never had a dealer problem with coins not being sent and the such. I had one coin lost, the mailman said he delivered it. I figure to the wrong house and they kept it, or I stuck it some where and will find it in three or four years from now (50$).

Heritage

Scottsman

Great Collections

eBay

Collective Coin

Forum Members

Miscellaneous Dealers (Collectors Corner has been helpful to me)

In looking back at my collection, I am a bit surprised at the number that came from forum members. It was much higher than I thought it would be.

I looked this up once, as I keep pretty good records.

It's actually pretty evenly split between the following:

Auctions, mostly HA, but also SB, Teletrade, & eBay

Dealers, most notably Larry Shapiro, Mark Feld (back when he was in business), CRO, Wnuck, Laibstain, Adkins, Sego, Pinnacle, and many, many others.

Dealers at Shows

Buy/Sell/Trade forums

Only a couple have come from brick & mortar shops.

Mostly 7-11 and Wawa parking lots. McD used to be good but now they run out and pick up the coins that are dropped at the drive-up french fry window.

Heritage

Ebay

David Lawrence Rare Coins (DLRC)

Great Collections

Here on the buy,sell,trade boards

Typecoins.com

The above are the ones I use most often. Also in a lot of cases folks will have a "make offer" on their coins. Don't be afraid to make a reasonable offer on them.

Doug

does anyone know how to search for Plus graded or star coins specifically on EBAY which is where I buy my coins. I have spent time on heritage but I am not efficient at looking at coins there. Memphis does not have an amazing coin market locally in my very early experience with coins

Where do you buy your coins? Do you buy many at a time or one by one?

What are you looking to buy?

I have bought most of my coins from eBay sellers with most of the rest from public (as in live) actions. I have also bought from a few dealers on occasion.

I collect a number of series from world coins. The source I obtain them from depends upon what I am looking to buy. In the last year, I bought three coins through Calico from the "Isabella Trestamarca" collection from two different sales. This is a specialized large collection and the coins I bought are seldom available except from a source such as this one.

The auction source I use most often is Heritage. I have also bought form Goldberg and Stacks a few times, same for DNW for my South Africa collection and a few others.

does anyone know how to search for Plus graded or star coins specifically on EBAY which is where I buy my coins. I have spent time on heritage but I am not efficient at looking at coins there. Memphis does not have an amazing coin market locally in my very early experience with coins

I constantly look for NGC Star designated coins in the Jefferson Nickel series. Just click on Jefferson Nickels under Nickels in US Coin Category. Then type Star in the search box. This will bring up all Nickels (both proof and MS) that have the word star in their descriptor. I am only interested in MS pieces so I then click Business under strike type in the left hand margin.

Note: This only works if seller has identified Star in coin description. I also look at new NGC additions to the Jefferson series every 2-3 days (only takes about 5 minutes). This allows me to see if any star nickels have been added without the descriptor.

Hope this helps,

Doug

1) eBay

2) Amazon

3) Heritage

4) Great Collections

5) Etsy

6) US Coins

and the biggest surprise:

7) Dr. Eugene Bruder, Numismatist.

Had the most success this month of June 2015 with Dr. Bruder & Great Collections.

Snaked a few low-priced CC Morgans off of Etsy

Amazon tough to get good bargains but I did manage to scamp a few Franklins there.

US Coins I scoped a few Franklins in NGC Holders, a few Morgans too. Probably the lightest volume of sales there, even Etsy sells a tad more as more disgruntled eBayers are leaving eBay in droves to try other alternative selling sites.

If I do start selling coins, I will sell my Uber MS Franklins on Heritage first, probably Great Collections second. eBay is turning into the "dumping grounds" for "problem coins".

Things are slow for me now due to other commitments, but the few times I get online I am working on the Morgan Dollars, imo the most "liquid" of US Coins in case I need the moolah in a hurry( emergency).

Take care everybody!

CAL who is turning into a Coin dealer: comics are on the way out...

I just got in this decent Morgan CC on eBid.

Forgot about them...

CAL who does not make it a habit of forgetting...

I buy the vast majority of my coins via auctions but not those mentioned but rather small local auctions with less expensive offerings. I've bought a few on E-Bay but as stated, the Seller must offer returns or it's not happening.

I've sold a few on the BST here and ATS. I think in most cases this is an overlooked resource.