• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1921 S Morgan GTG

14 posts in this topic

These pictures were taken using 3 Jansjo's and undiffused light (diffused light makes luster harder to determine) .

Whatcha got?

016_zpsvq4wpv8c.jpg[/img]

017_zpsdvqmso4l.jpg[/img]

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that PCGS gave this an MS-65 because of the unusually nice luster. All of the 1921 Morgan Dollars often have a dullish satiny luster. This one seems to be unusually bright.

As my personal grade I'd go MS-64+. I think that a real MS-65 should be a little nicer.

As Bill indicated, the 1921 S Morgans have very poor luster, the fact that this one has excellent luster and an excellent strike should have carried some weight with the graders. The neck bears the brunt of the chatter, the face chatter is very superficial IMO.

I was very disappointed with this result.

018_zps8avdltwz.jpg[/img]

That photo shows this coin in a different light from the one that started this thread. I can understand why it got an MS-63 because of the many small marks, but given the graders' attitudes about luster and higher grades, it could have gotten an MS-64.

The trouble is it's a 1921 Morgan silver dollar, which makes it "the most common of the common" in the eyes of many. I don't imagine that the graders spent much time with this one. Sometimes when a coin is very common the grading process becomes "quick and dirty."

That photo shows this coin in a different light from the one that started this thread. I can understand why it got an MS-63 because of the many small marks

That is what I was thinking too.