• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toning, what are your thoughts?

16 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I just bought this 8 reales with a bit of toning on the coin. I did not buy it because of the toning but once I received it and examined it I kind of like it.

http://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/index.aspx?CertNumber=2782523-022

Anyway, my question for the forum is as follows:

Does toning influence you to buy a coin? If so or if not, would you be inclined to pay more or less than the assessed value of the coin for the grade?

I personally like a little toning but I know some collectors despise it. I have seen my share of artificial and purely ugly toning. So my questions are more based around what would be generally considered eye appealing toning.

Curious about everyone's thoughts.

Thanks,

Mike

I prefer toned coins. My purchase of them depends on eye appeal. Other parameters are originality, strike, lustre, grade, and price.

If a toned coin meets these parameters, I buy it.

I like a nicely toned coin as long as it isn't there to hide problems. If I see a nice toned coin online, it would have to have some hi resolution pics to be able to see the details of the coin also.

When I started collecting Walkers many years ago; I liked white, lustrous coins. These days; I have grown to like some original and/or attractive toning and I pick up such coins, if the price is right. However, I refuse to pay 'stupid money' just for the color, as luster and strike are of equal importance to me. You also must be VERY careful when dealing with toned pieces (even those graded by TPGS), as toning can hide a lot of flaws and imperfections. I have seen many a coin over-graded just because of the toning and, if ever given a dip, these coins would reveal things not seen underneath all that tone and they would very likely be graded a point or two lower.

The toning on your coin is a bit dark for my taste. It's not the type of toning I'd pay extra for but a coin 175 years old that's white, you better be suspicious.

A coin with certain toning characteristics (not necessarily colorful) gets me excited.

However, I refuse to pay 'stupid money' just for the color, as luster and strike are of equal importance to me.

That is something I defenitly can agree with. Many times prices are extremely elevated on toning alone and lack other attributes. I'm sorry to keep sharing links as I don't have better pictures at this time but I wanted to share this Peruvian Sol, this one has very attractive toning on both sides with really awesome die cracks/clashes.

http://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/index.aspx?CertNumber=2789257-006

I paid a bit more than I should have, but not stupid money.

The dark toning was certainly something I put some thought into myself. Coin in hand it is alot more appealing than the pictures would lead you to believe. Albeit it is a bit darker than I normally would prefer but again it looks better in hand. I got the coin for a good deal. It is my first Cap and Rays so I am happy with it. The pictures defenitly don't do it justice

Mike

My preference is golden brown/ peach toning on classic coins. While toning does not bother me on moderns, I do tend to prefer blast white on moderns. I do like rainbow toning also, but I have found that the price is generally more than I am willing to pay, so the golden brown senoritas do me just fine.

The coin in your picture has a darker looking crescent on the reverse, however is it as dark as it looks in the picture? I posted two pictures of the same Obverse of a coin I got and the NGC picture is a very poor representation of what the coin looks like. The lighter picture is what the coin looks like with a lot of luster. Doesn't look like the same coin

qfDvlC8qQn2mOeVYeSCp_1913ms64.png

0L4K1G9TROCai34KSNiL_1913.png

Testament to the power of light

The coin in your picture has a darker looking crescent on the reverse, however is it as dark as it looks in the picture?

I believe you are referring to the Peruvian Sol vice the 8 Reales? Either way yes neither are really terribly dark on the reverse. The Sol has a very awesome blue hue that is hard to see in the NGC photos. The Cap and Rays reverse toning is lighter than the image shows but I wonder how it was stored to achieve such a strange toning pattern on both sides. When I get a few minutes I will take some hi res photos to share.

Nice looking coin btw. Mexico sure makes some awesome coins.

Ugly tarnish is more likely to cause me to reject a coin than pretty tarnish is to cause me to buy a coin. I would never pay more for a pretty tarnished coin because the tarnish is not stable and will eventually change to something less attractive.

the tarnish is not stable and will eventually change to something less attractive.

Excellent point supporting the decision not to pay massive premiums for rainbow toners.