• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Legend" report

86 posts in this topic

She is no longer on the board. She did not seek another term.

Since when? She is listed on the ANA website as a Governor and I don't recall getting a new election package from the ANA.

I may have misread some of her statements. Sorry. She said she wasn't on the board, but given some of her posts, it could have been a typo (and that isn't a throw off on her).

http://www.legendcoin.com/cgi-bin/inventory/cms2.pl?page=hot_topics&article=437

One of the interesting things about their PCGS-CAC coins or nothing advice, is how they run their auctions....

In fairness to her firm, Legend has increased the number of NGC-CAC coins that it has offered over the last year or so. In the past, you would see none, but they are becoming a more frequent occurrence. And her site language appears to have adopted an all CAC approach and toned down on the all PCGS approach. I don't agree with either, but it is a notable change from the past.

Ms. Sperber, says CAC PCGS only in her blog and then auctions NGC holdered coins? Hmm.............

It wasn't an auction; the items were direct sales. One was a MS67RB* IHC and the other a PF67 CAM Mercury Dime, both CACed. Both sold in the last 30 days, and I know that Legend paid a strong price on the Dime from Heritage so she must not think all NGC coins are bad.

Even (or perhaps, especially) if they had been auction coins, if someone wanted to consign NGC coins that met the minimum values required, it would have been silly for Legend to say no.

Money over morals. Got it. (thumbs u

He did you get "money over morals" from accepting NGC coins on consignment? Nice stretch, Mr. Elastic Man. ;)

We all know her market reports are nothing but Legend-hyping bull mess. They don't reflect reality. They are designed to create talk about her company and she does an excellent job at that. I'm just pointing out that if she really felt so strongly about only PCGS/CAC certified coins, then she should not be selling any of other type to retail customers. Forgo the money you'd have made and stick to your convictions. I don't think that would be silly to say no to. (shrug)

We all know her market reports are nothing but Legend-hyping bull mess. They don't reflect reality. They are designed to create talk about her company and she does an excellent job at that. I'm just pointing out that if she really felt so strongly about only PCGS/CAC certified coins, then she should not be selling any of other type to retail customers. Forgo the money you'd have made and stick to your convictions. I don't think that would be silly to say no to. (shrug)

+1 hm

Best, HT

One of the interesting things about their PCGS-CAC coins or nothing advice, is how they run their auctions....

In fairness to her firm, Legend has increased the number of NGC-CAC coins that it has offered over the last year or so. In the past, you would see none, but they are becoming a more frequent occurrence. And her site language appears to have adopted an all CAC approach and toned down on the all PCGS approach. I don't agree with either, but it is a notable change from the past.

Ms. Sperber, says CAC PCGS only in her blog and then auctions NGC holdered coins? Hmm.............

It wasn't an auction; the items were direct sales. One was a MS67RB* IHC and the other a PF67 CAM Mercury Dime, both CACed. Both sold in the last 30 days, and I know that Legend paid a strong price on the Dime from Heritage so she must not think all NGC coins are bad.

Even (or perhaps, especially) if they had been auction coins, if someone wanted to consign NGC coins that met the minimum values required, it would have been silly for Legend to say no.

Money over morals. Got it. (thumbs u

He did you get "money over morals" from accepting NGC coins on consignment? Nice stretch, Mr. Elastic Man. ;)

I could understand such a stance with respect to their own coins that are sold via auction, but not for coins belonging to other individuals. And included among the latter could be clients who had bought non-PCGS/CAC coins from Legend in the past.

Mark's suggestion prompted me to do a search of the Legend inventory. Mark is correct. There is not a single NGC holdered coin in the Legend inventory at present. So, mostly if not wholly, when it comes to what they sell themselves, Legend sticks to PCGS only holdered coins. In fact, every single coin in their inventory has a CAC sticker. So Ms. Sperber does put her money to what she claims in her blog on that. So it does appear that only in their auctions, for clients, that they will have NGC holdered coins. So there you have it............ hm

Best, HT

Mark's suggestion prompted me to do a search of the Legend inventory. Mark is correct. There is not a single NGC holdered coin in the Legend inventory at present. So, mostly if not wholly, when it comes to what they sell themselves, Legend sticks to PCGS only holdered coins. In fact, every single coin in their inventory has a CAC sticker. So Ms. Sperber does put her money to what she claims in her blog on that. So it does appear that only in their auctions, for clients, that they will have NGC holdered coins. So there you have it............ hm

Best, HT

That's because they recently sold what they had. Two NGC coins sold at the end of March.

I usually look at Legend Auctions offerings. I've won a couple coins from their auctions and regularly receive their auction catalogues. The auctions are dominated by PCGS/CAC coins, PCGS (non-CAC) coming in second and a very distant third are NGC holdered coins.

That being said, 2 of the 3 Morgan's I've won were NGC coins.

I just see them as a PCGS preferred auction house. IMO, I don't really care. They routinely have nice coins and if I see one I like and can afford it (win it), I'll try to win it regardless of the holder.

Since when? She is listed on the ANA website as a Governor and I don't recall getting a new election package from the ANA.

I may have misread some of her statements. Sorry. She said she wasn't on the board, but given some of her posts, it could have been a typo (and that isn't a throw off on her).

She is still on the board but is not going to seek another term. If you go to her hot topics page there are a couple links to her blogs about it. She's basically saying she went in expecting to make some big changes and turn everyone to her way of thinking but found out how hard the job was (translation-she was in over her head)- so now magically she doesn't "have enough time in her schedule" for ANA duties. Funny...Her schedule was just as active when she ran...so what's different now? IMO it is that she can't be the boss so she's not interested anymore. She states that she promised she'd be back but... let's just say I won't bet the farm on it.

She is still on the board but is not going to seek another term. If you go to her hot topics page there are a couple links to her blogs about it. She's basically saying she went in expecting to make some big changes and turn everyone to her way of thinking but found out how hard the job was (translation-she was in over her head)- so now magically she doesn't "have enough time in her schedule" for ANA duties. Funny...Her schedule was just as active when she ran...so what's different now? IMO it is that she can't be the boss so she's not interested anymore. She states that she promised she'd be back but... let's just say I won't bet the farm on it.

Or maybe she saw, first-hand, that she was unable to effect changes and doesn't want to spend time beating her head against the wall.

I'm just curious whether those familiar with her business plan, is she better than other leading dealers in terms of her quality control, her/their buy/sell spreads, friendly and helpful service with potential and actual customers? Is this a case of the bark being worse than the bite? What other major rarity seller would be so outspoken and opinionated, perhaps those who go back 30 plus years remember dealers like her on a mission?

I'm just curious whether those familiar with her business plan, is she better than other leading dealers in terms of her quality control, her/their buy/sell spreads, friendly and helpful service with potential and actual customers? Is this a case of the bark being worse than the bite? What other major rarity seller would be so outspoken and opinionated, perhaps those who go back 30 plus years remember dealers like her on a mission?

I find Laura, George, Jose and now Julie to be very attentive, easy to work with, fair and objective. Actually they are dream to work with. I can also say the same thing about the other handful of dealers I work with.

Mark

I took a quick look at the inventory: https://www.legendcoin.com/cgi-bin/inventory/cms.pl?page=Inventory

Since the grading services own the forums and don't want too much controversy which the author of Legend reports tries to generate, a top to bottom critique would not be acceptable.

It would be hard for me to imagine the Founders of this country imagining former bullion coins, and silver "periwinkle" rarities selling for phenomenal amounts of raw bullion.

I recently sold a mintstate Connecticut Colonial note, certified by PMG for under $700, and by most numismatic and aesthetic standards it should sell at the price levels of extreme rarities. I have no idea how the market in $5000 plus "rare" coins has developed, but clearly it takes a lot of hype to sell coins like they market.

I took a quick look at the inventory: https://www.legendcoin.com/cgi-bin/inventory/cms.pl?page=Inventory

Since the grading services own the forums and don't want too much controversy which the author of Legend reports tries to generate, a top to bottom critique would not be acceptable.

It would be hard for me to imagine the Founders of this country imagining former bullion coins, and silver "periwinkle" rarities selling for phenomenal amounts of raw bullion.

I recently sold a mintstate Connecticut Colonial note, certified by PMG for under $700, and by most numismatic and aesthetic standards it should sell at the price levels of extreme rarities. I have no idea how the market in $5000 plus "rare" coins has developed, but clearly it takes a lot of hype to sell coins like they market.

Often, if a coin is especially appealing looking and priced within reason, it takes no hype, whatsoever, to sell it.

Nutmeg Coin, With due respect I think you're barking up the wrong tree here. Writing styles, personalities, salesmanship, egos, and everything else aside, I believe Legend is one of the good guys in this hobby/industry and they typically sell very nice hand picked, high end coins at fair prices for the quality you're getting IMO. I've dealt with both Laura and George on and off going way back to the 1980s when they were doing business as KRCG Inc. and I have always found them to be straight shooters and fair to deal with on both the buy and sell ends.

Out of the many dealers I've ever done business with in the past 35+ years, there's only a very small handful of individuals I would consider real unethical jerks and would never deal with again, and Legend is definitely NOT in that category.

Bottom line IMO: They sell really sharp stuff at fair prices......what else matters?

Lest anyone misunderstand, Legend itself isn't the problem and it has never been; I for one like the company and how it does business just fine, as I'm sure do countless others. My issues (and I suspect, those of others as well) are primarily with the attitude/ego of LS in particular. If you peruse the latest greatest rant, she waxes condescending, elitist, comes off as her own biggest fan and apparently feels the need to continually remind everyone of what "she's" done. Last time I checked, her company was composed of more people than just her, yet she acts as if she accomplished it all virtually singlehandedly.

Combine this with childish insults and belittling of those dealers and collectors she sees as inferior ("Clueless..", "...on drugs", "...Bet this guy never bought a real coin", etc.) and it paints a picture of someone with a relatively small world (or ivory tower if you prefer that metaphor) whose ego and attitude are her own worst enemies. Someone who, by the way, supposedly decries things like coin doctoring, the plight of the average collector who gets fleeced etc. and proclaims that she will continue to speak out about it... but when given the opportunity to try to effect actual change via her ANA position, decides to not seek another term because all of a sudden she's too busy (though her responsibilities were certainly equally great or greater when she was running, especially if you read the laundry list of everything "she's" been doing. If you're so busy, you don't run in the first place, right?).

So what changed? Based on her postings going all the way back to before her election and what is known of her personality (type A to the max), imo what changed was she found she either a) got in over her head and/or b) couldn't be the boss and had to learn to play well with others (rather than having her own continual bully pulpit as she does on her site)...so she's leaving at the end of her term.

Bottom line, I respect the company, but unfortunately not the person. I do feel honored that she saw fit to quote this humble lower class "chatroom monkey" dealer's contribution to the thread ATS in her latest epistle, to which she replied " Isn't there a cut off for happy hour?" It's such cerebral analysis that helps endear her to so many, no doubt.

She must really LOVE each and everyone of you -- you seem to be her most productive means of advertising and it costs her nothing but an occasionally poorly written article laden with controversial snippets which keep you all going and going and going.

I would dare to say she is much more clever than anyone participating in these never ending thread(s) with Legend and Laura as the subject matter. I was ambivalent toward her and Legend before all this, now I have a certain level of admiration for anyone cunning enough to dupe all of you very sophisticated forum participants.

Good show Laura!

She must really LOVE each and everyone of you -- you seem to be her most productive means of advertising and it costs her nothing but an occasionally poorly written article laden with controversial snippets which keep you all going and going and going.

I would dare to say she is much more clever than anyone participating in these never ending thread(s) with Legend and Laura as the subject matter. I was ambivalent toward her and Legend before all this, now I have a certain level of admiration for anyone cunning enough to dupe all of you very sophisticated forum participants.

Good show Laura!

She's like the Sarah Palin of the numismatic world. lol

The show may be entertaining (in the same way a train wreck keeps your attention), but I still wouldn't vote for her. (shrug)

It all comes down to supply and demand. There are coins that also seem inexpensive relative to rarity (e.g. many patterns).

U

Lest anyone misunderstand, Legend itself isn't the problem and it has never been; I for one like the company and how it does business just fine, as I'm sure do countless others. My issues (and I suspect, those of others as well) are primarily with the attitude/ego of LS in particular. If you peruse the latest greatest rant, she waxes condescending, elitist, comes off as her own biggest fan and apparently feels the need to continually remind everyone of what "she's" done. Last time I checked, her company was composed of more people than just her, yet she acts as if she accomplished it all virtually singlehandedly.

Combine this with childish insults and belittling of those dealers and collectors she sees as inferior ("Clueless..", "...on drugs", "...Bet this guy never bought a real coin", etc.) and it paints a picture of someone with a relatively small world (or ivory tower if you prefer that metaphor) whose ego and attitude are her own worst enemies. Someone who, by the way, supposedly decries things like coin doctoring, the plight of the average collector who gets fleeced etc. and proclaims that she will continue to speak out about it... but when given the opportunity to try to effect actual change via her ANA position, decides to not seek another term because all of a sudden she's too busy (though her responsibilities were certainly equally great or greater when she was running, especially if you read the laundry list of everything "she's" been doing. If you're so busy, you don't run in the first place, right?).

So what changed? Based on her postings going all the way back to before her election and what is known of her personality (type A to the max), imo what changed was she found she either a) got in over her head and/or b) couldn't be the boss and had to learn to play well with others (rather than having her own continual bully pulpit as she does on her site)...so she's leaving at the end of her term.

Bottom line, I respect the company, but unfortunately not the person. I do feel honored that she saw fit to quote this humble lower class "chatroom monkey" dealer's contribution to the thread ATS in her latest epistle, to which she replied " Isn't there a cut off for happy hour?" It's such cerebral analysis that helps endear her to so many, no doubt.

They made fun of her weight and compared her (or her writing) to a "dyslexic orangutan" ATS. I don't blame her for being snotty even if it comes off as childish.

On another note, while I may not agree with her style, I think she genuinely cares about the field and collectors. She is misunderstood...

Yes, Laura is very edgy vis a vis PCGS CAC coins. That is Legend's marketplace. It's business and that means saying and doing anything that increases the bottom line.

Laura/Legend are not collectors, they are sellers. It's profit nothing more.

Laura/Legend has absolutely nothing to do with numismatics, they are a business that offers products for consumption nothing more nothing less. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, it's business.

It would be interesting to me to know what coins Laura owns in her personal collection. Just a thought.

Carl

Yes, Laura is very edgy vis a vis PCGS CAC coins. That is Legend's marketplace. It's business and that means saying and doing anything that increases the bottom line.

Laura/Legend are not collectors, they are sellers. It's profit nothing more.

Laura/Legend has absolutely nothing to do with numismatics, they are a business that offers products for consumption nothing more nothing less. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, it's business.

It would be interesting to me to know what coins Laura owns in her personal collection. Just a thought.

Carl

Nothing to do with numismatics? Really? Just wow.

Bruce is a collector

George is a collector

Doesnt Laura/ Legend have the number one 3 cent silver proof collection amongst others?

Weird post

Mark

U

They made fun of her weight and compared her (or her writing) to a "dyslexic orangutan" ATS. I don't blame her for being snotty even if it comes off as childish.

On another note, while I may not agree with her style, I think she genuinely cares about the field and collectors. She is misunderstood...

I actually agree to a point. I think she wants to help the hobby; the problem is that her personality isn't all that condusive to, shall we say, portraying herself in the best possible light. As to being misunderstood, again I agree to a point, but what has she done to change that perception? Answer: little to nothing.