• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questionable eBay Listing posted by MBC

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Double reverse Large Cent Error for $199!

Last week I happened upon a eBay listing for a "Double Reverse" Large Cent offered at $199 or Best Offer. The photographs showed a Large Cent supposedly struck with matching reverses, but no obverse. However, both sides were well worn, making me question how such an oddity (even for its day) could have stayed in circulation for so long. Other critical photographs showed the coins edge with fingers and a thumb in the way. How on earth could something like this have escaped certification by NGC, I asked the seller. About 7 or 8 other watchers were looking it over,to see if anyone took the bait, I guess. The seller offered a 7 day return privilege so I asked if he would take a 30 day return so I could submit it to a third party for certification, and go from there. Needless to say, he never replied. Makes me wonder how many collectors would have gotten stung by something like this 50 or 75 years ago. Just mentioning NGC seems to have scared the guy off.

See more journals by MBC

There are MANY double sided coins made. I saw a double headed Kennedy last month at the Silver Shop. Those coins are made with 2 coins sliced and attached together.

Later

I can see that some reasonable conditions could be put on a raw coin sale, like a return should a grading service determine the coin was not as described.

But I have had buyers of NGC and CAC certified coins claim that the coin was overgraded or a problem coin and want to send the coin to an ANA governor to show how loose the services are getting. That sort of thing is extremely rude. No auction company would accept such a return.

I did buy a raw two headed foreign coin on eBay that turned out to be legitimate. It sits nicely in an NGC slab. However the posting was several years ago and did not seem shady at the time. It was also sold at a pretty inexpensive price at the time. But I typically error on the side of caution.