• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charmy's 2015 ANA PORTLAND Coin Show w/lots of Pics!!!

8 posts in this topic

I love coin shows that are in the same time zone as I am. I was able to leave OC the same day as the coin show and still arrive in time for set up. I got to the John Wayne airport with plenty of time to spare. Unlike my flight home from Dallas last week, getting through security even with the usual bag check was quick and painless. I even had time to grab some breakfast and a nice Baily's and coffee.

IMG_9659_zpsaizw9gg6.jpg

I am fortunate and grateful to live in an area that has gorgeous weather most of the time and Wednesday morning in Orange County was gorgeous!

IMG_9661_zpspae4ngld.jpg

IMG_9663_zpshooy5wms.jpg

IMG_9664_zpsws6bvgzc.jpg

IMG_9666_zpssfthoehv.jpg

My flight was also smooth and easy. I loved looking out the window as we flew over the Cascade Mountain Range and Mt. Shasta.

IMG_9670_zpsexk6siu7.jpg

Then shortly after that, we were flying into beautiful sunny Portland!

IMG_9672_zpsp81hflbi.jpg

IMG_9675_zpsxaglwrnd.jpg

I checked in to my hotel room which was very comfortable and had an equally beautiful view.

IMG_9719_zpskhtxap85.jpg

IMG_9679_zpsjitpuobq.jpg

IMG_9677_zpstyuvdhwl.jpg

IMG_9678_zps95j1ya8w.jpg

After unpacking, I headed over to the convention center for the 3pm set up.

IMG_9695_zps8zjtvra9.jpg

IMG_9692_zpshb7c3yew.jpg

Of course I ran into many usual suspects! Tony and Alan from Northern Nevada Coin

IMG_9682_zpsxhupl2lv.jpg

Todd Pollock/BluCCPhotos and Tony

IMG_9683_zpsrfv5kmbs.jpg

IMG_9686_zpsw8fx0j5t.jpg

And another familiar face – Emily (who used to be the ANA’s coin show coordinator)

IMG_9681_zpsogvmeolh.jpg

I took a peak at the bourse floor before they let everyone in. It was set up in sort of an “L” shape and looked very pristine!

IMG_9684_zpsjap4ifcb.jpg

IMG_9685_zpse8z7n1lc.jpg

Soon all the dealers were let on the floor to set up our booths.

IMG_9818_zpsj0dycwss.jpg

After I was set up, I walked around the bourse to do some shopping. I noticed a booth that had quite an eye-catching neon sign.

IMG_9693_zps2h7yrb3n.jpg

IMG_9694_zpsaolhvshp.jpg

I found a couple more beautiful and scarce Conder tokens for my collection!

IMG_9882_zpstulibqqd.jpg

IMG_9883_zpsbadeaxy4.jpg

I also had Todd photograph a few more Conder tokens I recently bought.

IMG_9881_zpsnfcmbzbq.jpg

IMG_9880_zps4hkn8kjg.jpg

I had brought a couple bottles of wine with me, and it was really nice to relax after set up and share them with several of my dealer friends!

IMG_9745_zps96nijs3d.jpg

After set up, we took the train into downtown for dinner

IMG_9696_zpsbdch90yu.jpg

IMG_9697_zpsipnqmupg.jpg

We ended up at Deshutes Brewery which was recommended to us by a young lady we met on the train.

IMG_9704_zpsos15kina.jpg

IMG_9705_zps15ruwn6o.jpg

IMG_9712_zpsw72dljsq.jpg

They had quite the selection of beer!

IMG_9706_zpsfxwc88oo.jpg

IMG_9707_zps3kjs6u9q.jpg

Rick and I both decided to try one of their specialties, the Nitro Obsidian Stout and it was one of the tastiest beers I’ve ever had!

IMG_9709_zpslav5seam.jpg

IMG_9710_zpsizfk5n4c.jpg

IMG_9711_zpsoswilufg.jpg

After dinner, we decided ran into one of the bicycle carts and decided to take a ride to another pub.

IMG_9713_zpsnfgvm2he.jpg

IMG_9714_zps3xjik78m.jpg

IMG_9715_zpsqy5k5wx4.jpg

We went to another pub recommended by the bicyclist - they had a musician who was playing some great music.

IMG_9716_zps2lxdjcbp.jpg

Then it was time to get back to the hotel to rest up for what hopefully would be a very busy show!

Thursday morning I ran into my pretty gal pals, Cindi and Amanda!

IMG_9722_zpsrqje3bsj.jpg

Then I had a chance to view the ANA’s amazing Money Museum

IMG_9725_zps5qtgcetq.jpg

IMG_9733_zpsgeyhdhpl.jpg

IMG_9732_zpsovufoxky.jpg

IMG_9735_zpsuxs7u2ca.jpg

IMG_9734_zpsnbb3fiox.jpg

IMG_9729_zps1zft4yap.jpg

IMG_9730_zpswdiwbklg.jpg

IMG_9726_zpsgom0nr76.jpg

IMG_9727_zpsagf6br4f.jpg

IMG_9728_zps6ztdkkvp.jpg

IMG_9731_zpsvq4jeevv.jpg

I was also able to pick up some great newps for my inventory, including this amazing stunning deep PURPLE 1936 proof Lincoln cent! This piece is probably the most vibrant penny I have ever owned, and it didn’t last long in my inventory. I think I had it for about an hour before it went to someone else who appreciates vibrantly toned copper as much as I do.

IMG_9741_zpsavyl9h5q.jpg

IMG_9740_zps8lflilia.jpg

IMG_9743_zpsqnlqiyuj.jpg

IMG_9830_zpsmlefh4y3.jpg

After the show, a group of us headed back to downtown Portland for dinner.

IMG_9746_zpsaaq4hxll.jpg

We had reservations at what was the most favorite restaurant of the dealers at the show – Jake’s Crawfish!

IMG_9748_zpsczga7wpb.jpg

IMG_9747_zpsb8fdklmz.jpg

IMG_9749_zpsufsqbabz.jpg

We waited in the bar while the rest of our party arrived. The pretty young lady next to Rick was our very nice waitress who joined us for this photo!

IMG_9753_zpsn76tqv9z.jpg

IMG_9762_zpsruffhvax.jpg

Cindi, me and of course Nina!

IMG_9764_zps1ctxb1ji.jpg

Rick and John (ANACS)

IMG_9765_zpswy9kymii.jpg

This is the same restaurant I went to last October when I was in Portland for the PNNA show. And I even had the exact same dish – almond crusted sole which was just as yummy the second time!!

IMG_9767_zpswpmqlvni.jpg

We enjoyed a wonderful bottle of Washington cab

IMG_9769_zps4vtdgdgz.jpg

Back at my room, the view outside my window was really pretty at night

IMG_9775_zpskd7nyf33.jpg

IMG_9777_zps2oetmlrc.jpg

IMG_9776_zps1vypsy99.jpg

On Friday, Todd had received a couple of the famous Voodoo donuts we’d been hearing about. Apparently, they come with a variety of unusual toppings, like Captain Crunch and Fruitloops, and even bacon. I had this chocolate voodoo doll shaped donut (if you look closely, you’ll see that it has a strategically place pretzel stick!). It was jelly filled and delicious!

IMG_9828_zpsovjabzyy.jpg

IMG_9778_zpsrfcsdorv.jpg

DennisH enjoyed the Captain Crunch donut

IMG_9780_zpsr2hp69oh.jpg

So until this day, I had never met Drunner. Some of you may remember him teasing me about when the day that we would finally meet, he would bring a bottle of wine and Led Zeppelin’s Stairway to Heaven would be playing, and that’s how I would know it was him. Well, I was walking around the show and came upon a case not far from my table that had a couple nice copper pieces, so I asked to look inside but the dealer behind the table said the owner of that case was not there yet. So I hung out while talking to another dealer until the owner came back.

When he came back to the table, I asked to see the coins. But before he pulled out the coins, he looked at me and said that this wasn’t exactly how he hoped our meeting would go. I looked up at him curiously, not understanding what he meant or who he was. Then he explained about the wine and Stairway to Heaven reference, and finally introduced himself - what a huge surprise and honor it was for me to finally meet Jeff/Drunner!!!

IMG_9779_zpsphytwkxt.jpg

He told me he would be going to the Las Vegas show in a couple weeks, and would bring a special bottle of wine from his wine cellar. I promised to play Stairway to Heaven so we could enjoy the wine and music together!

012_led_zeppelin_stairway_to_heaven_c.jpg

Bob/Watersport happened to be in Portland and stopped by my table to say hi

IMG_9781_zpshaxtqkzw.jpg

Oded Paz is a fellow Repousse/Pop-Out coin collector and is also running for one of the ANA board positions.

IMG_9786_zps6nxkmdyk.jpg

This lovely couple, Natasha and Kyle, are customers of mine and came to the show to specifically buy this gorgeous 1909-S Lincoln cent, and brought me a wonderful bottle of Washington wine for us to share!

IMG_9782_zpsjs1jxgd3.jpg

8.jpg

IMG_9783_zpsbu6wfzmw.jpg

Later on Friday, I was approached by this film crew who said they were doing a film on the history of the penny. Well, I’ve been approached by other coin people to talk about pennies, being a woman in the coin industry, etc., so I assumed it was something along those lines. However, when I asked them where the interview would appear, they said they were hoping it would be aired at the SUNDANCE Film Festival. What?!?! After a few more questions, I discovered they were from New York and weren’t even numismatists but were putting a documentary together on the history of the penny and was hoping their film would eventually appear in theaters. OMG!

Beaming from ear to ear, “of course” I say, “sure, what would you like to know!” Yes, I was very happy to talk about pennies and answer all their questions. So they begin asking me about how I became a dealer of just pennies, how I felt about doing away with the penny, their value, the most popular or rare penny, toned pennies, etc.

IMG_9785_zpscgx00prs.jpg

I showed them my grape 1936 proof, which intrigued them greatly. I also showed them some of my other colorful Indian proofs, and talked about my personal collection of toned pennies. They seemed very excited that I was so enthusiastic about my pennies, and our interview lasted about an hour.

Then they came back on Saturday and said they really liked the interview with me and wanted to ask me more questions, and go over some more material! I was really thrilled to help them with their project. Amanda’s booth was right across from mine, and she was kind enough to take this photo of our interview on Saturday.

Penny%20Crew_zpsfnfd5eea.jpg

In case any of you are interested, their website is http://dearpennyfilm.com/

After the show ended, a large group of us headed back to downtown Portland for dinner. I took some photos as we crossed the beautiful river.

IMG_9787_zpsidxdtl51.jpg

IMG_9788_zpsn7soa5pz.jpg

We decided to go back to Deshutes Brewery for dinner.

IMG_9811_zpsyx6nm6lv.jpg

As we were taking pictures at the brewery, we noticed Rick and I were dressed alike so we had to take a photo!

IMG_9791_zpsfkxve55j.jpg

And of course, here’s Nina looking adorable as always!

IMG_9793_zps9kvhopqq.jpg

Paul and Cindi from ANACS and me

IMG_9794_zpsrawqhctx.jpg

Steve Feltner, Glenn Holsonbake/PonyExpress, Winston Zach/Stone, and Steve Schuch.

IMG_9795_zpsidfgutwt.jpg

IMG_9798_zpsdtkfpxmy.jpg

One of the appetizers!

IMG_9799_zpsm2fj1hgq.jpg

Since I loved their Obsidian Stout, I decided to try their Obsidian Stout Mac & Cheese with fennel sausage – it was amazing!

IMG_9801_zpss8no78jz.jpg

A couple of others had their stuffed fish (can’t remember what kind) – they said it was delicious!

IMG_9804_zpsqvvw5wam.jpg

One of their burgers

IMG_9807_zpsc5oeostt.jpg

The rib-eye – I had this the first night I was there

IMG_9808_zpsufeeoq4u.jpg

The entire group!

IMG_9810_zpsnwnktxz2.jpg

Outside the brewery

IMG_9814_zpstnypdheu.jpg

Then it was time for the old folks to head back to the hotel, while the young ones partied on! I was in the first camp, but had one last nightcap at the hotel bar – which was a popular meeting place for many dealers!

IMG_9817_zpsvwyhelcl.jpg

Saturday morning I took an opportunity to look at all the competitive exhibits. There were some great exhibits but my favorite was the Short Snorter exhibit.

IMG_9820_zpsqjcd4da9.jpg

When I was looking at one of the notes, I noticed there was one with John Wayne’s signature (I LOVE John Wayne). What really caught my eye was the signature that was under his – it was a woman named Vikki Montan, an accordion player who was apparently on tour with John Wayne. I just happened to have a short snorter also signed by John Wayne and Vikki Montan and found an article putting them together in Australia in December 1942!!

IMG_9819_zps1p5bu5zl.jpg

Exhibit John Wayne and Vikki Montan Short Snorter

IMG_9821_zps08alix0j.jpg

My Short Snorter

IMG_3461_zps2be5f525.jpg

John%20Wayne%20Vikki%20Montan%20Article_zpsljqdd3bq.jpg

Here are more photos of the exhibit

IMG_9819_zps1p5bu5zl.jpg

IMG_9823_zps5ucxrhyb.jpg

IMG_9824_zpsbytjt5xy.jpg

IMG_9825_zps2bdssxxw.jpg

IMG_9826_zpss1g37ihb.jpg

This encased postage stamp exhibit was also interesting

IMG_9822_zpsopbmeocr.jpg

Back at my table, I got inundated with little treasure trivia hunters! This cute little guy is Spencer and his dad Michael

IMG_9829_zps4dcvkaup.jpg

Even though some of the dealers had already left, the bourse floor was quite active throughout Saturday.

IMG_9831_zpszfxmcatr.jpg

IMG_9832_zpsf08xtsr5.jpg

IMG_9833_zpscqjqwxsp.jpg

IMG_9834_zps0s0zm3nv.jpg

Just before I was about to pack up, an elderly gentleman stopped by my table and offered me his Lincoln cent collection that he had put together over many years housed in the usual small blue coin folders. I often get offered collections like this and they are usually low grade coins pulled mostly out of pocket change often containing cleaned and damaged pennies. However, when I opened these albums, I was quite pleasantly surprised to see that this album contained mostly XF/AU untampered original problem-free pretty pennies! So of course, I couldn’t pass it up.

IMG_9875_zpsosj0hlxs.jpg

IMG_9876_zpsztkb0l43.jpg

IMG_9877_zpship0v1v0.jpg

Soon it was time for me to head to the Portland airport for my flight home. This beautiful wood carving is located right inside the terminal.

IMG_9838_zpsqsoe5gqp.jpg

IMG_9839_zpsidzaurbw.jpg

IMG_9840_zpsk9hsivli.jpg

Outside it was an absolutely gorgeous day – a great day for flying!!!

IMG_9842_zpsivrixmk4.jpg

Bye-bye beautiful Portland….

IMG_9849_zpsn9et3mdc.jpg

IMG_9851_zps7n8wvngw.jpg

IMG_9853_zps0oz0qrun.jpg

Me so happy to be going home!!

IMG_9845_zpswvlono5h.jpg

If you look closely, you can see a famous landmark!!!

IMG_9862_zps2jr1avmj.jpg

(That’s Half Dome in Yosemite)

And welcome back to Orange County – it’s rare for me to be flying home when it’s still light out!

IMG_9866_zpsc8zvxg24.jpg

These are the two blimp hangars at the former U.S. Navy and Marine Corps air station in Tustin, California. The hangars were built early in World War II to house manned blimps. One is to be torn down and the other will be used as a WWII museum.

IMG_9870_zpsu2epiquv.jpg

Just about to land at the John Wayne Airport…

IMG_9873_zpsdbpl6mnr.jpg

For me, this was a great show. I was busy almost the entire time, found some nice coins for inventory, made a lot of sales, got to be interviewed for a possible "movie," hung out with my wonderful friends, and met some new friends - all the while getting to visit a beautiful bright and sunny city!!

Next up: My local Buena park show this weekend (March 14-15), then the Las Vegas show at the Riveria next weekend (March 19-22), followed of course by the Baltimore show (March 26-28)!

Thanks for another superlative show report, well-balanced between travelogue, numismatics and food & drinks; to me those glasses of Deshutes stout looked especially marvelous, and by your power of suggestion I'm having a glass of red wine right now.

You genuinely deserve movie stardom, and fortunately you have finally been discovered.

Glad you didn't omit Nina, who like you thrives in her photogenicity, and seems to equally enjoy indulging and partaking in the finer things, not limiting herself to coins, and in fact I suspect she greatly prefers the outings and the hobnobbings, and is not particularly attached to the coins except to the extent of selling a few here and there to help make ends meet.

While the restaurants and pubs looked like a fun place to be, you can keep that dark beer or stout or whatever it was. It looked like you could cut it with a scissors......

I'm a light beer guy, or maybe a simple pilsner.....

Paul

I forwarded a link to this thread to Doug Davis, from the Numismatic Crime organization, just in case he did not have any of these short-snorter photos available. The poor owner got hit and lost half of them while traveling home.

Your picture taking could possibly save the day Charmy !

Paul