• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A "morning after" coin?

12 posts in this topic

Have you ever had a "morning after" coin? It looked so nice in the glow of the bourse, and now, in the harsh light of dawn you wish you had a pill to take.....

Adventures?

I own one Bust dollar that is a plate coin in M.H. Bolender's die variety book, The United States Early Silver Dollars from 1794 to 1803. It is an 1800 Bolender 20, and it was his discovery coin for the variety. Back in the 1970s I almost bought another one.

It was an 1800 Bolender 12, and the reverse was pictured among his plates. There was no doubt that it was the same pieces because it had a lot of adjustment marks on the center of the reverse. The coin graded EF and had what would pass then and today for "original surfaces." The price was $2,250, which was a very high price for a Bust Dollar at the time.

After I got it home I started to regret the purchase because of the adjustment marks. Fortunately I had a chance meeting with the late Herb Silberman, who was one of the founders of the Early American Coppers club. He too agreed that the price was too high. Fortunately the dealer was willing to take the piece back, and I was able to return it.

There have been a few other coins that I regretted later, but it was not a "morning after" situation.

Also, "seller's remorse" is a part of the collecting experience.

I hate that worse than buyers remorse. I keep pictures of many of the older coins I owned on my web site in case one of the buyers wishes to use the photo for some reason or another.

I go through them occasionally and find a few that I kick myself for letting go.

as bad as buyers remorse sucks... what I struggle with even more, is "not buying and then losing out forever" remorse....

Im sitting in Portland right now, since my legs hurt so bad I can no longer stand, (im only 32) and I am looking at the coins I bought at the show today.... I would say there is a fairly good chance I will have some degree of buyers remorse tomorrow.... there is a lot of "meh" stuff Im looking at right now. Hopefully the few wowzers I found make up for it;)

Also, "seller's remorse" is a part of the collecting experience.

I hate that worse than buyers remorse. I keep pictures of many of the older coins I owned on my web site in case one of the buyers wishes to use the photo for some reason or another.

I go through them occasionally and find a few that I kick myself for letting go.

With buyers remorse you can always sell or trade the coins for a better specimen. With sellers remorse the coin is usually gone forever.

Many years ago a friend and I struggled with both 'buyers' and 'sellers' remorse over a period of about a month. It was all over a pair of uncirculated twenties, a Lib and a Saint. As I remember, the coins were nice and they lived in 2x2 Capitol holders. There was no such thing as a slab at the time. I originally bought the coins over the counter and then sold them to a friend a few days later. A few days after that he comes in and has those twenties with him...I re-look and start thinking, "gee, these are pretty nice"...."How much?" I ask him.....He adds a hundred to the deal and I buy them back.....

A few more days go by and he stops in. Yup, re-buys the coins for a hundred more.....Then they're back to me, and back and forth a couple more times, each time adding a hundred or so. (This was a time when nice twenties had a good premium).

Finally, I sell the pair to a stranger and off they go.....

My friend stops back a day or so later, "well, may as well look at those twenties"....."They're gone", I tell him......An incredulous "WHAT ?"......"How could you do that, we were making so much money on those things".....

Paul

'Seller's remorse' and 'non-bidder/non-buyers remorse' is much worse, as there is nothing that can be done for those.

'Buyer's remorse' isn't that bad, as you can usually recoup most if not all of your funds.

to answer the OP I had bought a '16-S, '19-S, '20 and a '34-s that I ended up hating. I sold them all, so it was a happy ending. I even made a bit of money on a couple.

'Buyer's remorse' isn't that bad, as you can usually recoup most if not all of your funds.

to answer the OP I had bought a '16-S, '19-S, '20 and a '34-s that I ended up hating. I sold them all, so it was a happy ending. I even made a bit of money on a couple.

Most people experiencing "buyer's remorse" aren't as lucky, and many lose quite a bit.

I'm not sure this counts as a "morning after" coin, but I bought a proof gold quarter eagle from the "glow" not of the bourse floor but of my computer screen from a well known auction house without a return privilege and no lot viewing like a complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person. I knew better, and I still don't know why I did it. It turns out that the coin had altered surfaces (it appears that PVC haze or other surface contaminant was intentionally applied to cover marks) that was not mentioned. The coin wasn't a complete loss as it would grade problem free once conserved, albeit at a slightly lower grade (and there wasn't much of a difference price wise). I took a $200 loss when selling in a wholesale transaction though. I completely deserved it though as I was very sloppy. I usually have it together a bit better than that.

I guess mine would be this one. I bought it at a show, where it looked good to me. I got it home and noticed alot of hairlines in the obverse field. Still a decent looking coin, buy not what I thought I paid for......

1861S_zps5249f37f.jpg

1861S-R_zpsb6820325.jpg