• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To Crack or Not

21 posts in this topic

I am going to start a NGC registered set of Morgan Dollars and in the photo's below is a MS 63 1891-O in a ANACS holder. NGC will not accept a ANACS coin for a registered set. On the upper rim of the coin there is some metal that appears to have been flattened. I have a concern that if I crack out the coin and send in to NGC for grading, it will come back on the label with rim damage. Can this coin grade at NGC or PCGS without rim damage details?

I have three options:

1) Sell the coin in the current holder and buy another coin for the registered set

2) Send the coin into PCGS as a crossover

3) Crack out the coin and send into NGC for grading

I am leaning towards sending the coin into PCGS as a crossover, but I do not want to waste the money if the coin will not straight grade. PCGS on a crossover charges a flat fee plus 1% of the total value of the coin if it will grade. If the coin does not grade, I am out the flat fee.

153474.jpg.d8b3f6a780b2d269831ca44afa863f44.jpg

153475.jpg.ee3e1ac114eeb32c6d5588784f5eacee.jpg

153476.jpg.38801962d777eb5621a1c40f8e7fffe8.jpg

From the pics, it doesn't look like something worth body bagging to me. That looks more like some sort of a die error. Jmo

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like that coin should grade at least 63. I have had bad luck trying to cross ANACS coins. You might have a better result cracking it out and sending it to PCGS raw. It will save you the crossover fee and there's a better chance it will upgrade (weighed against a non-zero chance it will come back bagged or a lower grade).

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like that coin should grade at least 63. I have had bad luck trying to cross ANACS coins. You might have a better result cracking it out and sending it to PCGS raw. It will save you the crossover fee and there's a better chance it will upgrade (weighed against a non-zero chance it will come back bagged or a lower grade).

Old ANACS or new ANACS? I have had considerable success crossing the former to PCGS even in the holder. But of course, I cherry pick.

And I agree with the others that the coin looks fine. I would bite the bullet and crack it if you need it in top tier plastic for whatever reason (but it is one that could also be enjoyed as is).

Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but I think you'd probably be money ahead to sell this one and buy another that you like in the plastic you like.

Grading fees & shipping to/from could easily eat up 10-25% of the coin's value, and that's if it grades or crosses cleanly.

' course it could come back at a higher grade too. It's just a roll of the dice sometimes.

I agree with the others that the rim issue does not look like any kind of post mint damage or "hit" as it were so the coin should grade. Now the question is what will it grade? It looks like a solid MS 63 based upon the pics provided.

Based upon the limited info, I think you'll be ok grading it after a crackout. In the end it's your call. I would however include it in an Economy Submission, even if you piggyback on a friends submission.

Old ANACS or new ANACS? I have had considerable success crossing the former to PCGS even in the holder. But of course, I cherry pick.

I probably shouldn't have included my own experience as my statement is based on an extremely small sample size of my own plus my sense of what others have told me. I should also state that I tried to cross a PL coin which is much more difficult than grade only.

I want to thank everyone for their input.

I have signed up at PCGS for a 4 coin submittal package as I will be sending in four coins (two ANACS and two NGC coins that appear to be under graded) for crossover. Once I get the coins back I will provide an update.

I wish NGC would reconsider their business model on crossovers to match PCGS as they are leaving money on the table, and I would not have gone to PCGS to submit coins.

I just received the results from PCGS about my crossover submittal. I submitted 4 coins for crossover with the voucher that I purchased, and I had to pay a 1% crossover fee on the value of the crossed coin. All coins below crossed to the PCGS holder at the previous grade:

1891 - O MS 63 ANACS holder (photo of coin in thread)

1890 CC MS 61 ANACS holder

1883 CC MS 64 NGC holder

1899 - O MS 64+ NGC holder

To fill out the order I included two coins that I felt might get a higher grade the 1883 CC and the 1899 - O, but the coins came back at the same grade in a PCGS holder.

I am happy that the two ANACS coins crossed because I can now include them in my registry set and the coins should sell for a higher value.

Again thanks for the help and recommendation on the 1891 - O.

I am going to start a NGC registered set of Morgan Dollars and in the photo's below is a MS 63 1891-O in a ANACS holder. NGC will not accept a ANACS coin for a registered set. On the upper rim of the coin there is some metal that appears to have been flattened. I have a concern that if I crack out the coin and send in to NGC for grading, it will come back on the label with rim damage. Can this coin grade at NGC or PCGS without rim damage details?

I have three options:

1) Sell the coin in the current holder and buy another coin for the registered set

2) Send the coin into PCGS as a crossover

3) Crack out the coin and send into NGC for grading

I am leaning towards sending the coin into PCGS as a crossover, but I do not want to waste the money if the coin will not straight grade. PCGS on a crossover charges a flat fee plus 1% of the total value of the coin if it will grade. If the coin does not grade, I am out the flat fee.

This is a die break and does not affect the grade. Also, PCGS is running a Crossover Special through April 30th, pay only $10 if it does not cross.

I like the coin at its MS63 grade. If crossing, I would specify MS63 as minimum grade. If it did not cross then would keep it and list it on my excel spreadsheet.

Registry is not something I do or care about nor I take downgrades to get a coin into somebody else's holder. If it has to be in certain holder then I either would not be in registry or buy another coin in the required holder to fill the hole. Furthermore, if a TPG kept refusing to cross ANACS, ICG coins I felt made the grade then they would not be getting my business. I am not a crackout or crossover player.

I used to collect Morgans avidly. Are you sure thi sisn't a die break? Looks like a light cud in the photo. Can you put a 10x to it and see any file or hammer marks? If not, send it in, looks like a choice coin to me. Good luck!

^^