• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newp 1796 Bust Dollar

24 posts in this topic

Here are a few cropped shots from my iPhone.

After admiring this one up close, I just couldn't pass her up.

I'll post some additional photos and the Trueview later, if anyone is interested.

I'll also hold off and post the grade tomorrow for anyone wanting to guess it.

Thanks for looking!

1796 $1 B-4, BB-61 Small date, Large Letters

imagejpg1_zpsec9fee5d.jpg

imagejpg2_zps1ebd1391.jpg

Fantastic Bust Dollar – I saw this when you posted it in another thread.

At least VF 30 maybe VF 35.

I am bumping my guess up to no less than VF 35 maybe XF 40 .

VF 30 was to low , I would bump it 5 points just for the Eye Appeal .

Very nice coin! Unusually good detail...look closely in the deepest areas - you might see the engraver's tool marks.

PCGS graded it XF45.

It is truly a trophy coin for me and the highlight of my collection.

This was the sellers favorite coin and it took some convincing on my part to wrestle it away.

Here is the Trueview. My photos taken by my camera rig are below. My photos don't do it justice and came out a tad dark when posting to photbucket.

Thanks for looking!

imagejpg1_zpsbdb0f990.jpg

imagejpg2_zpse297abe4.jpg

Edit: spelling

Along with congrats for getting a fine specimen, I agree that's a fabulous rendition with an iPhone, please give us suggestions or tips on technique.

With iPhone 6 native program I used one ott light on each side and used the shipping box as my stand. Used iPhone 6 native app to crop after taking the shots. I was surprised at the results considering it took only a few minutes to setup and Shot them.

I love the toning - beautiful Bust Dollar. I have a deep toned 1797 - not in same league as that one - also the toning has a big impact on value (grade of mine is XF40, but that color is very unusual for bust dollars I've seen...).

153166.jpg.6860aa55777357bf877a9959ee0c3562.jpg

May be a bit weak, but she has a nice reverse. IMO the adjustment marks give her character. It is easy to look past them when admiring the wing and breast feathers.

Are these the only photos you have? I've always had a hard time taking photos in NGC slabs, but would love to get a better idea of the color and overall look.

Nice coin! (thumbs u

Thanks - the draped bust coins are my favorites. I have more dimes because they are an area of focus for me, but I love the dollars. They are all unique with so many individual dye varieties and strikes and wear and toning, etc...

I don't mind the adjustment marks either - I agree it adds to the history (funny how precise they were with the amount of silver weight). ... I would not like them on the obverse though, because I think the lady is so pretty.

I don't really have photos other than the ones I got from the place I purchased - although, NGC has pictures too on coin cert:

http://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/index.aspx?CertNumber=3267833-001

In looking at the coin vs the two sets of pictures, I think both are not 100% true. NGC is a bit too dark and misses some of the color, while the others are a bit too light. Somewhere in between and tilting gives different hues. I think that's always the case for coins - pictures are one view...