• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When you wish upon a Star*!

19 posts in this topic

When you wish upon a Star, sometimes you get two in return! Here are a couple of NEWPS from my first submission of 2015!

First up is a 1945-S Mercury Dime I won from one of Shane's(KryptoniteComics) eBay auctions. It was graded MS64FB by NGC and was in an old fatty holder. After receiving the coin, I decided to submit it again raw to see if I could get a bump in grade. The grades came back this morning and NGC called this one a MS65*FB. I was hoping to get the Star designation and my wish was granted! Although I do not have any images of this coin yet, you can go Here to see the eBay auction for this coin.

Second is this beautiful 1946-S Roosevelt Dime. I also won this coin from one of Shane's auctions back in late November. Graded MS66 by PCGS, I thought it was an excellent candidate for an upgrade and a Star. Once I got the coin and had a chance to look it over, I decided it was well worth the shot to see if I could get an upgrade to MS67 with the FB designation. I thought the coin was more than worthy of the Star designation, no matter what the grade outcome was. And I was more than excited when I saw the grades listed this morning. NGC graded this coin as MS67+*FT, which is the highest grade I have received on a coin submitted for grading by NGC or PCGS. I am very pleased with this coin and it is definitely a keeper!

These are some quick images I took of the coin before I cracked it out and sent it off to NGC. I will get some better images once I get the coin back.

IMG_1066_zpsa4187615.jpg

IMG_1067_zps959706d6.jpg

Thanks everyone! I am very happy with these coins and I can't wait to get them back!

That Roosie is way cool :applause: and I'm hoping it'll kick off The Roosevelt All Stars! with a bang! 2008 pts for that mighty nice fella. :insane:

Thanks dadams. You may want to fix your link though. I did not choose the right registry set but have now corrected the problem by deleting the Circulation Issue Inc. Varieties set and chose just the Circulation Issue set. And I'm not stopping with 1964. I want to complete a full date-run of Star designated Roosevelts. It will be quite a task, but that's what makes it fun! I also added a #2 set but for the Proof Issues from 1950-date and these will also be all Star designations.

is that a die crack on the reverse about 5 o clock? just wondering

It probably is. A die crack from the bottom of the torch through the D, I, or M of DIME to the edge on the reverse is relatively common for the Roosevelt series. Another common place to find a die crack on the reverse of Roosevelt is from the center or right tip of the flame to the edge -- sometimes going through the last S of STATES or the O of OF. Sometimes both of these die cracks are present and it sort of looks like the torch is being struck by lightening. Here is an example of that from my own collection -- a 1951-P:

sz92tx.jpg

Eh, not the best photo there. But you get the gist.

is that a die crack on the reverse about 5 o clock? just wondering

It probably is. A die crack from the bottom of the torch through the D, I, or M of DIME to the edge on the reverse is relatively common for the Roosevelt series. Another common place to find a die crack on the reverse of Roosevelt is from the center or right tip of the flame to the edge -- sometimes going through the last S of STATES or the O of OF. Sometimes both of these die cracks are present and it sort of looks like the torch is being struck by lightening. Here is an example of that from my own collection -- a 1951-P:

sz92tx.jpg

Eh, not the best photo there. But you get the gist.

yup sure do get. thanks for that education on it :)