• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I REALLY like this from PCGS

35 posts in this topic

In my estimation this is a giant leap forward in registry display software. PCGS is introducing virtual coin albums and does it ever look sharp! Only drawback, still PCGS only, oh well that's their prerogative. Any ways as the article states, you can have your cake and eat it to.

Gary

http://www.numismaticnews.net/buzz/what-a-neat-idea-from-pcgs?et_mid=720537&rid=235658567

Cute. Do the albums have clear sliders? Any chance of "album friction?"

How about album toning -- will that be NT or AT or ATF or NTSP or NCIS?

I really like it as well. I had never been a registry set member at NGC or PCGS until yesterday.

Never cared much about the holder a coin was in either.

I signed up just to use this feature and I am considering submitting a few coins for cross-overs.

Probably many more people like me out there.

Good business idea.

It sounds like a really cool product, but a I must be slow because I am having a difficult figuring out how to start one?

I saw a link, and it took me to a link saying this, but it am not sure I want to pay for the online album. Has anyone figured out how to start one for free?

Digital Coin Album TrueView Special Details

Close

$5 TrueView (per coin) on any coins submitted under the Reholder Service.

Please select the "other" option on the submission form and notate "Set Registry $5 TrueView Special” and calculate the additional fees in the fee calculation section.

All coins must be submitted under the Reholder service and postmarked by March 31, 2015 in order to qualify.

Only PCGS Collectors Club Members can take advantage of this special (excludes PCGS Authorized Dealers).

It was confusing for me as well. I saw posts saying how easy it was and I thought I must be an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

The problem was I was new to the whole registry field.

If you are familiar with the registry I am sure it is a piece of cake.

You must register.

You must add inventory.

You must make a set.

You can add non-PCGS coins to inventory and upload your own pics

The coins must be PCGS coins to use in a set and be eligible for the digital album.

It is getting easier now that I have figured out the ground rules.

You can do all of this for free.

Flatwoods,

Once I register (done years ago); add inventory (done over the last few years); and make a set (done over the last few years), then what button do I press to begin my coin album?

Thanks.

No disrespect to our host, but this ATS software is so cool!!! I just put together the below type set album, and I am motivated to fill some holes.

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/Album.aspx?setid=108959

Here are my Morgan Dollars:

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/Album.aspx?setid=75188

Too bad we don't have something similar here, because I would love to see all of my NGC and PCGS slabbed Saints and $10 Indians in one of these Dansco inspired online albums.

Here are my PCGS slabbed Saints:

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/Album.aspx?setid=119520

I like it, except, when you blow up any of the coins, the images are fuzzy and poor resolution. Is that their software doing that? If so, still needs some improving, but what a great idea. Love it if NGC does something like that. I would prefer an old style coin board. I have been building my own with photoshop - they are hard to display on the web tho' as the files are monstrous in size - sometimes getting to gigabytes.

Best, HT

Neat idea. I wonder what our hosts will come up with to top it.

I don't know, but if you will notice PCGS is patenting their software. Thus, whatever NGC may have up their sleeves, I can't wait to find out. I also can't help but to think that the one-up man-ship between NGC and PCGS only serves us, the individual collectors all the more.

Gary

I like it, except, when you blow up any of the coins, the images are fuzzy and poor resolution. Is that their software doing that? If so, still needs some improving, but what a great idea.

Agreed. I like it but users should be able to increase the size of the pages as well not just blow up the individual coins. Hopefully PCGS will be smart enough to sell the software to use outright without having to be a registry participant. Not everyone wants to put up their coins on a public site that allows anyone to share them via Facebook or Twitter.

Increasing image resolution will slow the presentation. It is intended for quick, superficial on-line use, and not for studying the coins in detail.

Increasing image resolution will slow the presentation. It is intended for quick, superficial on-line use, and not for studying the coins in detail.

Besides that---I'm not really thrilled with it. So it looks like it's in a Dansco....OK, big deal. That doesn't excite me that much. I am just as happy with the Registry and better pics and descriptions. I'm not trying to knock it but I am not overly impressed by it, either.

I give them credit for coming up with the idea and everything and I imagine there are those who'll flip over it but it's just not for me. 2c

While this album software gives PCGS the upper hand, this is where NGC's decision to accept coins in its Registry from both grading services will pay off. Now NGC just needs to add an album software similar to what they are using ATS.

I recall a PCGS poster doing something similar several months ago.....? If so, did the idea originate elsewhere?

In my estimation this is a giant leap forward in registry display software. PCGS is introducing virtual coin albums and does it ever look sharp! Only drawback, still PCGS only, oh well that's their prerogative. Any ways as the article states, you can have your cake and eat it to.

Gary

http://www.numismaticnews.net/buzz/what-a-neat-idea-from-pcgs?et_mid=720537&rid=235658567

Hmmm

hm

Talking PCGS on the NGC Forum. I'm all for free speech, but personally I do have a problem with this. It could be because Don Willis banned me from their forums, for a BS reason (thinking he's King Cobra or something) when he first became President or it could be because I am 100% behind NGC and tired of the bad Rap they get in comparison to PCGS. Ok, It is the latter reason I have to admit.

:applause:

While I understand the point of your post, I did not read anyone here to say anything negative about our hosts. If anything, I read them to suggest that NGC should include this offering to its registry participants. While I think the ATS virtual album is wonderful from my limited one day of trying it out, I'd love to have a virtual album here on the NGC Registry where I could include both NGC and PCGS graded coins.

Not a new concept but PCGS is the first to put it into use that I know of. It's a smart marketing idea that could drive more business/revenue as it could get more people to check off the photo option on submissions. I like the idea and quickly fooled around and created one album; but as was mentioned it suffers from the same registry problem because only PCGS graded coins can be used. For that reason alone I have little use for it or the PCGS registry in general. That however has not stopped the PCGS fan boys from falling over each other to post about it.

And I do agree with Lee that this is not really the place to promote this.

I don't personally see what the big "woop" is? The NGC registry has had gallery and slide show views in the Registry for years...and this "digital coin board" idea isn't novel.

IMO it's gimmicky and superficial -- lipstick on a PIG if you will.

While this album software gives PCGS the upper hand, this is where NGC's decision to accept coins in its Registry from both grading services will pay off. Now NGC just needs to add an album software similar to what they are using ATS.

Why? NGC software having Gallery and Slideshow views is infinitely more useful than some kitschy "digital album" concept.

I don't get why everyone is drooling all over themselves over such a superficial "upgrade" to the otherwise completely banal PCGS registry experience.

:whistle:

I recall a PCGS poster doing something similar several months ago.....? If so, did the idea originate elsewhere?

Neat idea. I wonder what our hosts will come up with to top it.

I don't know, but if you will notice PCGS is patenting their software. Thus, whatever NGC may have up their sleeves, I can't wait to find out. I also can't help but to think that the one-up man-ship between NGC and PCGS only serves us, the individual collectors all the more.

Gary

I have seen a private collector do something similar with a private website in the past, so I don't think it is really that novel. I wish I could remember the person that I am thinking of. Interestingly, both copyright and patent law are applicable or potentially applicable to software. I wonder if someone else already has the intellectual property rights to it. If so, this could get interesting...

This may or may not be the guy you all are thinking of. A nice 7070 set in the original album. Not sure if this is photoshopped from slabs or if it's all raw coins. But a nice way to display them regardless.

I like the new view, but that's all it is, a way to view sets. It has a bit of cool factor, but I'd prefer the normal browsing personally where I can see the reverse right next to the obverse of the same coin.

While I was stargazed by the example of trade dollars PCGS used to roll this out to the public, I have since discovered that my collections do not fit all that well into their registry. I have to admit I don't often peruse the PCGS registry, so when I tried to set up an album using the PCGS coins in my 7070 typeset I found that PCGS doesn't have a set defined by the Dansco 7070 album. Apart from the album feature I have always found the registry ATS quite bland. I am however glad that both registries are working to increase the collector experience using the technology available. And yes competition between both major TPG's for market share gives collector's more choices.

Gary

"I wonder if someone else already has the intellectual property rights to it. If so, this could get interesting..."

Yep...certainly could be.

If I were PCGS I would be more concerned with copying the trade dress of the Whitman blue and Dansco brown albums they are virtually recreating.

If I were an attorney for either company I would have already filed suit and worked out a licensing fee for each Registry Album created by users. This little PCGS invention will obviously impact sales of their albums.