• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the proper way to dispose of coin dip?

23 posts in this topic

Once or twice a year, our city stages a turn-in for unwanted paint, chemicals, toxic substances, etc. Usually, if I have a small amount of some toxin, I will put it in a glass jar and identify the toxin on a label. I usually store such items in the garage until I'm able to dispose of them.

Chris

Mix with cheap Tequila, add a live earthworm and leave it on the bar at your local pub.

That's how much you know about tequila. Everyone knows you're supposed to use a caterpillar.

Chris

I through of them, but do you realize how big a bottle it would take to hold a Caterpillar? Just a simple track loader is over 61,000 lbs -- and what about the bowl of nuts?

I through of them, but do you realize how big a bottle it would take to hold a Caterpillar? Just a simple track loader is over 61,000 lbs -- and what about the bowl of nuts?

The big advantage in using a caterpillar is that cops have a hard time giving it the heel-to-toe field sobriety test.

Chris

I'm using e*Z*est Speed Dip. But there are no disposal instructions. Tossing it down the kitchen sink seems like it'll mess up the plumbing. Down the toilet doesn't seem like a good idea either.

Dilute heavily using water and either discard outside or down the sink.

Edited: You could also add a little baking soda to the dilute acid mixture to help with neutralization, but at very dilute levels you shouldn't have a problem. In my college chemistry labs, we would neutralize it and then dump acids down the drain.

Are you kidding???? dump it outside??? The correct and ONLY answer is plumbing.... the sink, doesn't matter which one as long as it is in working order plumbing-wise... The toilet, a shower or bath drain... get the picture.

No need to dilute, It absolutely will not mess with pipes.. and furthermore it will be treated, cleaned, properly and safely disposed of, by default bypassing all the ruckus it would cause ending up downstream in the environment.......

Isnt it common knowledge that storm drains literally freely lead directly into lakes, streams, rivers, etc???

Are you kidding???? dump it outside??? The correct and ONLY answer is plumbing.... the sink, doesn't matter which one as long as it is in working order plumbing-wise... The toilet, a shower or bath drain... get the picture.

No need to dilute, It absolutely will not mess with pipes.. and furthermore it will be treated, cleaned, properly and safely disposed of, by default bypassing all the ruckus it would cause ending up downstream in the environment.......

Isnt it common knowledge that storm drains literally freely lead directly into lakes, streams, rivers, etc???

EZest is a solution of sulfuric acid and thiourea. We do not know what type of plumbing he has, and for all we know, he might live in an older home with copper or other metal piping. Admittedly I do not know the precise concentration/strength of acid used (and I am too lazy to look it up). It might be harmless, but I wouldn't take that risk personally to dump it in the drain at full strength.

And if properly diluted and/or neutralized, I don't foresee adverse environmental effects. I would be more concerned about dumping it into a public water supply (thiourea is known to cause thyroid problems if ingested in very large quantities), but even then, it would be so small as to not cause any effects.

And who said anything about a storm sewer? The drive way works just fine.

Really? The reason I mentioned storm drains, is because regardless of where it gets dumped, where do you it goes once your sprinklers come on, or after it rains??? First the storm drain, then the closest river, where it will make its way to a lake... just sayin...

Really? The reason I mentioned storm drains, is because regardless of where it gets dumped, where do you it goes once your sprinklers come on, or after it rains??? First the storm drain, then the closest river, where it will make its way to a lake... just sayin...

I don't deny that chemicals can have profound effects on the environment if dumped into a storm sewer. I do not believe this is one of those chemicals. In terms of run-off, it should long be degraded and diluted by that point. At worst, in its concentrated form, it might cause pH changes, but if neutralized or significantly diluted, it should be a non-issue especially in the quantities that we are discussing. (Hopefully one of the chemistry Ph.D. holders will chime). I don't think the OP has hundreds of gallons of it. He can correct me if I am wrong.

And I don't work for a waste treatment plant, but what do you think happens to that water you flush or rinse down the drain? What isn't used for human consumption is often used in agriculture where by your logic, it would end up in a storm sewer or in the nearest stream, etc. Sometimes the water is even released back into an ecosystem and I doubt that purification will actually remove it at all. And I don't think that the purification techniques used will remove the chemicals - if there is anyone who works in the field or has knowledge of it, please correct me if I am wrong. So, the chemicals would be rendered harmless because they would be substantially diluted, which is exactly what I advocated that the OP do all along.

Look man, im not trying to argue, or prove or disprove what does or doesn't happen to the environment due to toxic chemicals that accumulate and cause problems, no matter how diluted they are or are not.

The reason I responded was to answer your question. Absolutely yes I have talked to health officials about how to "properly dispose of" hazardous chemicals. It was a number of years ago, but I believe they referred to it as "grey plumbing" which they told me a toilet was best in my case because of how toilet water is treated.

There isn't a public health official in the world who would suggest dumping a chemical such as ezest outside. In fact, I bet there aren't many places who wouldn't impose a pretty hefty fine for doing something like that to the environment.

EZest is a solution of sulfuric acid and thiourea. We do not know what type of plumbing he has, and for all we know, he might live in an older home with copper or other metal piping. Admittedly I do not know the precise concentration/strength of acid used (and I am too lazy to look it up). It might be harmless, but I wouldn't take that risk personally to dump it in the drain at full strength.

And if properly diluted and/or neutralized, I don't foresee adverse environmental effects. I would be more concerned about dumping it into a public water supply (thiourea is known to cause thyroid problems if ingested in very large quantities), but even then, it would be so small as to not cause any effects.

I do actually live in an older house with copper plumbing. And I did think of pouring it onto the driveway, but I didn't want it to rain and the stuff to runoff into the sewers. I live in MD and runoff ends up in the Chesapeake Bay, which honestly is my main concern.

Someone mentioned a toxic substance disposal. That's probably my best bet. I didn't think of that. I'm sure there is something like that around MD.

Many towns have toxic waste drives. The thiourea in the silver dip is toxic and a known carcinogen. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiourea

I would be careful working with any of the numismatic related chemicals, though acetone is naturally occurring it is toxic. A collector/dealer at a show last week spoke about not having finger prints as a result of the chemicals he has used for many years with coins.

Yeah, I looked it up this morning and the local landfill has a disposal for what they call Household Hazardous Waste (HHW). Of course, coin dip isn't on the list of things they accept, but I'm assuming since they'll take car batteries, they'll take the dipping sauce.

I do actually live in an older house with copper plumbing. And I did think of pouring it onto the driveway, but I didn't want it to rain and the stuff to runoff into the sewers. I live in MD and runoff ends up in the Chesapeake Bay, which honestly is my main concern.

Someone mentioned a toxic substance disposal. That's probably my best bet. I didn't think of that. I'm sure there is something like that around MD.

I believe it might be against the Law in Maryland, if the tie - in system doesn't have a sand filtration unit ahead of the feeder and Main, similar to Health/food prep facilities. WSSC can fine up to $5,000.00/day for each day of violation, plus clean up costs :ohnoez: .

Before anybody asks, yes it can be detected in the System and wipe downs are tested once suspected, and traced.

I would not want to dispose near a Septic/Well system either, because proximity neighbors are going to own you, your house and your Momma when the Lawsuit is finished. Not to mention cross- contamination into the Well.

The drive way doesn't work fine. A greater chance of dispersing the contaminant would occur due to surface and storm run-off. Also, every neighborhood has the wacky kid that touches puddles and tastes the fingers, or likes to lick the puddles off driveways, or throw matches on wet stuff to see if it burns. I assume that was a tongue in cheek statement, though. :whee:

The MSDS of a similar product states you can do this:

13. DISPOSAL CONSIDERATIONS

This product can be disposed in sanitary sewer system,

with dilution, where permitted by local, federal and state regulations.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The E-zest has no disposal info.

Yeah, I looked it up this morning and the local landfill has a disposal for what they call Household Hazardous Waste (HHW). Of course, coin dip isn't on the list of things they accept, but I'm assuming since they'll take car batteries, they'll take the dipping sauce.

If you have one of those, then absolutely, that is the best thing to do. You are lucky to have something like that - many localities don't. And it might help if you refer to it by its chemical ingredients rather than "coin dip." Good luck with whatever you decide.

Many towns have toxic waste drives. The thiourea in the silver dip is toxic and a known carcinogen. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiourea

Wikipedia is generally unreliable, but yes, in very large quantities (much more than you would see in a jar of dip), laboratory studies have shown that thiourea can cause thyroid problems and be a carcinogen when ingested in large quantities in rodents.

Look man, im not trying to argue, or prove or disprove what does or doesn't happen to the environment due to toxic chemicals that accumulate and cause problems, no matter how diluted they are or are not.

The reason I responded was to answer your question. Absolutely yes I have talked to health officials about how to "properly dispose of" hazardous chemicals. It was a number of years ago, but I believe they referred to it as "grey plumbing" which they told me a toilet was best in my case because of how toilet water is treated.

There isn't a public health official in the world who would suggest dumping a chemical such as ezest outside. In fact, I bet there aren't many places who wouldn't impose a pretty hefty fine for doing something like that to the environment.

I wasn't arguing, but having an interesting conversation. I absolutely think that environmental concerns are worth consideration, and would not have made the recommendation if I thought it posed a significant concern. If there is a possibility that I am wrong, I would absolutely want to know. That's also the reason I was hoping that one of the chemistry Ph.D. people would chime in. When I had looked at an EPA page for thiourea compounds previously, I didn't find anything suggesting a problem especially at the levels in a dip.