• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice for Books on Grading coins

10 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone would suggest book(s) on the grading of coins. I have read Jason's book and props to you Jason I found it very informative, easy to read, and I definitely learned a lot about grading coins. I really like your step by step process to grading a coin to keep your eyes focused where they need to be. I have been using it on ebay and greatcollections on good photo's. Notice all kinds of potential surface problems I never recognized before. Never realized how many coins on ebay that have probably been improperly cleaned, guess that why they are there.

I would now like to get a book that focuses to some extent on grading coins from photos, but do not want to miss out on a good read if someone has a favorite. Like Jason points out in his book not all collectors live next to a top dealer, or lucky enough to have a coin show visit their area. Also, if anyone knows of any books that focuses on the half dollars all issues late 1700's to present.

Again any book that someone feels is a must read for all collectors I am interested knowing about it.

Thanks

PCGS has a couple editions of 'coin grading and counterfeit detection'.

The best though is if you can get to a coin grading class put on by ANA. They have some only a couple days at big shows/conventions. They also have couple week classes in CO during summer. NGC and PCGS also have some at various shows throughout country.

PCGS has some decent videos on youtube and there are some vhs / dvds that have been made bt various companies/people that are helpful.

Words and pictures have a harder time showing/describing some important terms/ideas such as ->

luster types, whizzed, overdipped, some artificial toning, ....

Since you've already read my book, I think the next ones I would recommend would probably either be Q.D. Bower's "Grading Coins from Photographs" or PCGS' grading guide. Both of these go through each series, showing pictures of each coin in each grade. I think Bowers does a better job of describing the characteristics of each coin.

Both of these books, in my opinion, are vastly superior to Photograde or the ANA Guide. All 4 cover pretty much the same thing - the differences will be the quality of the photos, and the accompanying explanatoin.

I'm really glad you enjoyed my book!

I first learned to grade from the ANA Grading Guide and Photograde. I have owned two editions of the PCGS grading guide and did not think much of either of them. Many coins have no pictures to support the grading for the circulated grades which I think is essential to learning how to grade. I have seen the Bowers book but have never owned or used it. I understand that it is quite good.

Since you've already read my book, I think the next ones I would recommend would probably either be Q.D. Bower's "Grading Coins from Photographs" or PCGS' grading guide. Both of these go through each series, showing pictures of each coin in each grade. I think Bowers does a better job of describing the characteristics of each coin.

Both of these books, in my opinion, are vastly superior to Photograde or the ANA Guide. All 4 cover pretty much the same thing - the differences will be the quality of the photos, and the accompanying explanatoin.

I'm really glad you enjoyed my book!

I use the pcgs guide but never heard the Bowers book. Thanks Jason!

I just got the Bowers book and like it very much. Some of the pictures of the early small coins could be a little bigger and clearer but it's a great book. I will have to get Jason's book next to compliment it.