• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kennedy half dollar

19 posts in this topic

Well, 6 bucks is a little "low".

I almost don't even like to admit this, but at this point, I could say I "specialize" in Kennedys, mainly 1964's. (if specializing in 1964 Kens is a thing).

That said, yeah, the coin is definitely much better than average, It is absolutely Uncirculated. and easily would grade MS65, and depending how it looks "in hand" rotated under light, I could easily see it grading MS66, which is maybe a 75 dollar coin roughly.

So is it special??? I don't think so.... Is it waaayyyyy better than the average UNC 1964 you will come across. YES. without question.

If it means anything, I would grade that coin. Although I would send it with a batch of them, to the bulk department where the pricing break makes it a little more sensible.

In fairness, it could be the toning, but it looked like the piece had rub to me. The price listed was based on the value of an AU 1964 Kennedy.
I will have to admit that I see what might be rub as well on the cheek especially, could be tone as Kenny stated. The reverse, especially the tail feathers seem to be quite baggy and for that I couldn't see this above 65 and therefore not worth grading. Therefore even if it was a 65 I couldn't see this selling for more than $15 raw. As an AU I would expect $6 to be a good deal. I've purchased many that have this look for spot.

Hey coindude.... I see what you guys are talking about possibly being rub no the cheek... Its not. that is a common look for a 1964 half, I haven't ever really thought much about it, but it is either the toning or the nice strike that causes the luster to give it that appearance. I have many with that same exact "look". I believe THAT THE MAJORITY of what you are seeing on the reverse shield is not bag marks, but voids in the metal where it didn't fill in all the way when the coin was struck. (-which is there a better word or explanation for "voids from where the metal didn't fill in the die completely when struck"? seems sort of akward to say/explain.).

And as far as value, I didn't say you cant find a coin like the one pictured above for melt, I just said that "I THINK" it is worth more than melt. I too have gotten more than my fair share of BU+ UNC Kenedys for right at or slightly below melt value.. I think it is one of the initial reasons I was turned on to the Kennedy series was because of how under-rated they are to most coin-guys. For example, many many dealers have sold me 1964 proof set with an Accent Hair Kennedy for the price of the normal 1964 proof set... Has anyone seen the prices of Accent Hair Kennedys lately??? It is unbelievable!

I almost don't even like to admit this, but at this point, I could say I "specialize" in Kennedys, mainly 1964's. (if specializing in 1964 Kens is a thing).

That said, yeah, the coin is definitely much better than average, It is absolutely Uncirculated. and easily would grade MS65, and depending how it looks "in hand" rotated under light, I could easily see it grading MS66, which is maybe a 75 dollar coin roughly.

So is it special??? I don't think so.... Is it waaayyyyy better than the average UNC 1964 you will come across. YES. without question.

If it means anything, I would grade that coin. Although I would send it with a batch of them, to the bulk department where the pricing break makes it a little more sensible.

I'd grade it 64 before I'd grade it 66. The luster looks muted and it's unattractive looking (to me). I don't think it's worth getting graded. Nor do I think there's anything special about it.

I would call this a slider. The obverse looks like a 64, the reverse looks au58 with the hal in half as well as the feathers and shield look like they took some beatings. Not worth grading imo. These coins are still widely available in raw ms66/67 for a couple bucks over melt.

I would call this a slider. The obverse looks like a 64, the reverse looks au58 with the hal in half as well as the feathers and shield look like they took some beatings. Not worth grading imo. These coins are still widely available in raw ms66/67 for a couple bucks over melt.

widely available in raw ms66/67 for a couple bucks over melt??? lol, I have to know, what do you mean by this exactly? Do you have any available, because I would be happy to pay you more than a couple bucks over melt for any/all that are currently available.

Seriously, if you knew anything about the series you would know that they are next to nonexistent in MS67 period end, no matter where you look. In 66 they do exist, and "are possible to find"... but widely available??? Enlighten me... in fact, you should just PM me this wonderful info, I'll split the profit with you.

widely available in raw ms66/67 for a couple bucks over melt??? lol, I have to know, what do you mean by this exactly? Do you have any available, because I would be happy to pay you more than a couple bucks over melt for any/all that are currently available.

Seriously, if you knew anything about the series you would know that they are next to nonexistent in MS67 period end, no matter where you look. In 66 they do exist, and "are possible to find"... but widely available??? Enlighten me... in fact, you should just PM me this wonderful info, I'll split the profit with you.

I do disagree with the other poster's comment that MS66 and MS67 coins are available for a couple of dollars over melt. I agree with him, and disagree with you, however, on the point of availability. The coins are not rare by any stretch of the imagination. Even if the proportion of MS66 to MS67 coins is low, there is still a huge number of them.

For 1964 Philadelphia minted coins, NGC has certified 680 in MS66; 53 in MS67; and 0 finer.

For 1964 Philadelphia minted coins, PCGS has certified 1,046 in MS66; 34 in MS67; and 0 finer.

For 1964 Denver minted coins, NGC has certified 294 in MS66; 12 in MS67; and 0 finer.

For 1964 Denver minted coins, PCGS has certified 505 in MS66; 34 in MS67; and 1 in MS68 with none finer.

And there are probably several MS66 raw coins still out there.

I don't quite understand what exactly you are disagreeing with me about coinman??? I never said they were rare, in fact I dont think they are. I dont think MS66's are even scarce, let alone rare..... what I said was that MS67's are next to nonexistent. whether you are looking in rolls or in slabs, here there or wherever... My comment was regarding the claim that these coins are readily available and can be bought for a couple bucks over spot in raw MS66/67......... THAT STATEMENT IS NOT EVEN CLOSE. At least from what Ive seen anyways, being a guy who actually cares enough to look. I have bought and searched tens of thousands of 1964 business strikes to search for the elusive 67.... They ARE NOT easy to find. anywhere.

There were close to a half a billion 64 Kennedys b.s. minted for circulation -Many, if not MOST of those were not even circulated... and between PCGS/NGC there are a whopping total of 133 that have been graded MS67. (based on your numbers above). So, 133 out of almost half a BILLION.. I dont know if that is considered rare or not, I dont care. What I do know, is that they are not "readily available" or easily found in raw MS67 for a couple dollars over spot.... Can it be done? sure. I finally did it in 2014. paid 15 bucks for a 1964 Kennedy at a coin shop because I thought it was MS67, NGC agreed. I tried hard for a long long time.... so can it be done readily/easily? NOPE.

I don't quite understand what exactly you are disagreeing with me about coinman???

This is the part I was responding to; I think the MS66 coins are widely available. And I think you exaggerated a bit on the MS67 coins being next to "nonexistent."

Seriously, if you knew anything about the series you would know that they are next to nonexistent in MS67 period end, no matter where you look. In 66 they do exist, and "are possible to find"... but widely available???

Fair enough guys. Not trying to start any fights. I find ms 65s all day. Coinman is right they are tougher to find above that. And I do have a local shop owner in Eagle Idaho that inherited boxes of these rolls from his dad. So I may have an unfair advantage.

We aren't fighting - we just disagree on the point of availability of the pieces at certain grade levels.