• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what do you think of my new PCGS graded rainbow SLQ ?

39 posts in this topic

That's pretty cool. I've noticed some don't like the "dipped and retoned" look....personally I like it. To me, it's better than boring ol' gray.

jom

I see the market grade didn't get any help from the amazing toning. PCGS blew this one. According to its own Guidelines for Eye Appeal, this toning is good for a full-point bump. This coin is a market grade G6 all day long. :)

Possibly they were taking the reverse into consideration with the total grade, some light scratches there, so no G6. The coin has stories that can only be imagined by its organic buddies. Because silver, copper and gold do not break down over time as organic living beings do but experience wear of which this coin is a prime example. Some of the most discriminating collectors will be looking to acquire this specimen, if it ever becomes available again. Any auction listing will be full of effusive praise directed toward the artistic disk.

I see the market grade didn't get any help from the amazing toning. PCGS blew this one. According to its own Guidelines for Eye Appeal, this toning is good for a full-point bump. This coin is a market grade G6 all day long. :)

Possibly they were taking the reverse into consideration with the total grade, some light scratches there, so no G6.

+ 1

Possibly they were taking the reverse into consideration with the total grade, some light scratches there, so no G6.

+ 1

OK, G4. Come on, loosen up. :)

"Toning" is desirable or undesirable -- depends on viewer. I can see no logic to giving an extra point or two on the GRADE for something that is not related to abrasion.

"Toning" is desirable or undesirable -- depends on viewer. I can see no logic to giving an extra point or two on the GRADE for something that is not related to abrasion.

You and I agree.

However, PCGS doesn't.

PCGS will bump coins (even circulated ones) for eye appeal. It is called "market grading" - and, like it or not, its what the TPGs and FPGs do.

This problem is less severe at NGC, where a Star gives the bump in value without bumping the grade.

The coin looks extremely attractive.

That said, it's difficult for me to imagine a coin being that heavily circulated and displaying that color, without having been cleaned (and then re-toned on its own).

The coin looks extremely attractive.

That said, it's difficult for me to imagine a coin being that heavily circulated and displaying that color, without having been cleaned (and then re-toned on its own).

Looks like circulation crud (dirt, oils) on the rubbed away devices so doesn't that negate the 'been cleaned' then toned?

To me, if it was cleaned, it was sent back into circulation, plucked back out sometime later...stored for it to cure into what we see today.

Interesting find.

What do I think? I think it's ugly and you wasted your money. And the same has been said about what I collect. But, if it's what you like, then enjoy it. It should be all about what you like.

Interesting comments! I realize it's not everyone's cup of tea, which is cool.

I liked it and paid $21 for it. It was an eBay BuyItNow coin.

(I can just hear the gasps: "OMG you paid $21 for an AG SLQ, you threw away your money!")

I probably did, but just thought it was too "interesting" to pass by.

I do have a question for the experts .... if you were going to artificially cook something like this, how would you do it? How do you cook rainbow color and only in recessed areas of the coin? I am thinking if it was easy to do I would see more coins like this floating around. And I haven't seen many.

Seeing the same pallete of colors on the reverse over a much smaller area (and only tucked away in some limited recessed areas) makes me think this color developed slowly over a long period. Perhaps album toned??? I am guessing the the heavy layer of oils from people's hands on the high parts of the design protected those areas from reacting with the environment and therefore no color on the high parts of the design (rim and center devices).

And wouldn't the labor involved require a sale price of more than $21 to make it worth someones time if this was carefully cooked. Geez if it took someone 5 hours, it's like they are making $4 an hour.

As I recall the seller only had this single colorfully toned coin for sale -- the rest of their inventory was just plain stuff (not toned).

TVBlack_1928DSLQ_AG3.jpg

if you were going to artificially cook something like this, how would you do it? How do you cook rainbow color and only in recessed areas of the coin? I am thinking if it was easy to do I would see more coins like this floating around. And I haven't seen many.

Unless I overlooked some posts, I don't think anyone said it was AT. I think it was alluded to the fact that the coin was either dipped and retoned or cleaned and retoned. So it is natural secondary toning. Regardless of any issues (including the scratches), it is attractive. And if you are happy with the coin, then it doesn't matter what you paid for it.

So there is no way to AT something like this? Is it impossible?

I would never make categorical statements and state that it is "impossible," but I do believe the piece to have retoned naturally overtime on its own (i.e. it is secondary toning). My first instinct was that it had been cleaned and retoned, but another poster mentioned that it retoned after a dip which is a possibility. Either way, there is no mention of the piece having been "cooked" or otherwise artificially toned.

I don’t think anyone would consider $21 for this coin throwing away money.

I would pay $21 for it however I would never spend the money to have it graded.

Why did you have it graded ?

The question of was it cleaned and re toned , is it NT or AT, for a coin like this it does not matter.