• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buy what you like because...

17 posts in this topic

you might get stuck with it... Is this your mantra ??

Do you buy only what you like or do you only buy what you think will increase in value or do you try to do a little of both ?

Interesting article in this months Coin World...

How can someone successfully invest in rare coins?: 7 lessons in collecting

The book provides a rare opportunity to get inside a collector’s head. Some coins were winners in terms of profit, others were losers, but the collection overall was a success. According to Shippee’s calculation, the collection — which he called the Waccabuc Collection after a location in New York — sold for $1,405,136 at a Nov. 13, 2007, Stack’s auction. Shippee calculated that the 138-lot sale represented a gain of 39.4 percent over his initial purchase price (or a compound return of 10.2 percent annually over the holding period).

I am new. The state quarters interested me in a cheezy obtainable kind of way. Most wheat Pennies are affordable.

Man, Morgan dollars are nifty as can be but the Mustang, the model railroad and numerous other things are pulling at my twenty dollar bills.

So I get what I can and try to keep from becoming too serious about things.

I buy what I like, but I like some things better than others. I have admit that when I was finishing my type set that a few coins were bought to fill holes. For example I have never been a fan of the nickel three cent piece or the 1873-4 With Arrows silver coins. The rest of the set was a matter of buying what I liked.

I like profit and I like coins - so a little of both.

I also like to be entertained. Some coins for sale at auction are presented in such a way as to create a high risk factor. Is it as good as it appears, worse or better? It is a gamble which I find entertaining.

I have a collector friend who buys more coins than anyone I know. He loves very old and historical things and will pay from $1 to 1,000 on any one of them. He tries to stay away from "problem" coins but circulated coins often have some issues that in his mind are not deal-breakers.

I say this because I strive (with limited success) to only buy quality. Either path is perfectly acceptable provided you appreciate what you own.

There are some who buy a coin, put it away and never look at it again. I don't get that.

I buy what I like. I like certain series I collect more than others and will tend to look for them first. If I don't see anything that fits my criteria in those series, I'll go down my "series" list till I find something I like and feel is worth the asking price.

I mostly buy what I like. This is definitely the case for sets I am putting together.

The exceptions:

- I did put together the Ike Silver set in both business and proof strike though. I don't care for these coins, but I thought the set was relatively inexpensive and might appreciate in value over time.

- When completing my type set, I already know there are some coin designs I don't really care for, so I won't spend as much on those. I'll still buy coins that appeal to me though.

- I've bought some bullion hoping one day it might appreciate. I'm not holding my breath.