• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleaned Coins

22 posts in this topic

Hello,

I just purchased a raw MS 1900 P Morgan DMPL on Ebay. The coin has excellent details. The coin takes beautiful photos, but under a loupe I can see some fine hairline scratches on the observe side in the field and cheek area. These hairline scratches do not show up to the eye but if I tilt the coin, the field area gets dull and looses it mirror reflection. The reverse does not have the hairline scratches, but has a few scattered bag marks. Is this a cleaned coin?

Welcome to the forum.

If you can provide suitable images, we might be able to answer your question. But if you can't, there is no way we can do so.

Either way, if you have to ask the question, why are you buying coins like that?

As Mark said, pictures would be needed for anyone to say one way or another. However, it sounds like it isn't a "problem free" coin....

I had this conversation with someone just yesterday... Ebay is the dumping ground for problem coins, (not meaning to imply that its not an amazing resource for coins, it is probably the biggest or #1 reason I have been able to break into the business if Im being honest). I am not trying to be pessimistic, but I can only imagine that if a dealer is selling a 1900 Morgan that is a DMPL RAW... then there is only one reason for that... when buying raw coins on Ebay you sort of have to realize that they are raw for a reason..... Now there are exceptions to that concept, I myself have bought on many occasions, a raw coin that I received and literally couldn't believe what amazing condition it was in but it is not what usually happens when buying raw coins off Ebay from sellers you don't know, and pictures that aren't worth anything when it comes to analyzing condition of coin......

point is, if you buy raw coins based on pics via

Ebay, or anywhere else for that matter.... do so with the mindset that they are problem coins that way when you get one that isn't a problem coin, you will be like... bonus!.... versus the opposite mindset which will be never ending disappointment for yet another "problem coin"...

Hi Mark,

I am disabled and it is very difficult to get out of the house, so buying coins by photo is my best option. My collection is a slab collection of Peace and Morgan. I got lucky on a couple of raw coins and made a nice value score after the coin was slab. I enjoy the treasure hunt of finding a quality raw coin and getting it certified. I have bought some garbage coins from some dealers who make a living selling junk coins they call uncirculated. On any expensive coin, I always buy a slab coin as I can not risk the investment. I do not understand how some the dealers selling raw coins stay in business selling junk and most have a 100% rating on Ebay. I will not buy from anyone on Ebay who does not offer refunds.

I would love to post a coin photo, but I can not get the photo from the site's file manager to the post page.

Hack, a photo hosting site like Photobucket can be your friend. There has to be a better site, but it is the one I still use.

On the complicated reply here you can hit the photo square and paste the Photobucket code into there. It will take a couple trial and error runs to get the correct one but its worth it.

Anyway, that's how folks get pictures of cats doing ridiculous things on messageboards(!)

Hi Mark,

I am disabled and it is very difficult to get out of the house, so buying coins by photo is my best option. My collection is a slab collection of Peace and Morgan. I got lucky on a couple of raw coins and made a nice value score after the coin was slab. I enjoy the treasure hunt of finding a quality raw coin and getting it certified. I have bought some garbage coins from some dealers who make a living selling junk coins they call uncirculated. On any expensive coin, I always buy a slab coin as I can not risk the investment. I do not understand how some the dealers selling raw coins stay in business selling junk and most have a 100% rating on Ebay. I will not buy from anyone on Ebay who does not offer refunds.

I would love to post a coin photo, but I can not get the photo from the site's file manager to the post page.

You sound like you have your eyes wide open, which is a good thing!

Many Ebay sellers are able to sell over-graded coins and still end up with excellent feedback because there are so many unknowledgeable buyers. Many of those buyers mistakenly think they are getting good deals when, in fact, they are getting very bad deals. Some of them eventually learn the truth, when they get their coins graded and/or try to sell them. But others never find out.

As just one other general example, I have seen a great many obviously counterfeit coins garner numerous bids for hundreds or thousands of dollars from uninformed bidders.

Enjoy your collecting. And if you can't post images, perhaps you can provide links to any listings about which you have questions.

I think a good rule of thumb for E-Bay purchases is the following:

Only buy coins from sellers who offer returns.

Feedback is a guide, but nothing more. Most people give positive feedback in almost any circumstance.

Inspect any coin you receive (especially raw) with a 10X loupe for hairlines (on the devices especially), be satisfied with color and that any toning looks natural. If the coin doesn't pass muster, notify the seller that it's coming back, then ship it back with tracking for a refund upon receipt.

You'll find most sellers won't even ask why, it's just business. An easy transaction still warrants a positive feedback.

I have no fear buying online (even from new sellers) providing returns are part of the deal. It's just good business.

Welcome to the boards.

Hello,

Below are a couple of photos. I tried to get a photo angle that showed the scratches on the left field. The more I look at the coin and photos, I feel that this coin was polished to make it look like mirror field. Please give me your opinion.

151902.jpg.bc5601312c997bb55b56379b55c97e8c.jpg

151903.jpg.eca1deee99015fb11a66906511faa011.jpg

I have requested a refund for the coin, but I am waiting to hear back from the seller. Below is the description for the coin posted on Ebay by the seller. The seller has sold at least 8 coins he called DMPL since November. I am wondering if this seller is running a scam by getting coins with a lot of frost on the details and polishing the field as some of the other photos appear similar.

1900 P Morgan Dollar. Nice mirrors and contrast. Looks like a high grade MS/BU DMPL coin.

Difficult to find in a nice DMPL coin for this year. Check photos for condition and grading.

All coins are from a private collection. USA shipping only. Check out my other items.

Add $1.00 shipping for each additional item.

Sometimes, not always, the protected area of the fields right next to raised design elements (lettering, numbers, devices, etc.) show the original surface of a buffed or lightly whizzed coin. Those ghost looking areas around those areas on this coin concerns me greatly.

Hope you get made whole again.

I have requested a refund for the coin, but I am waiting to hear back from the seller. Below is the description for the coin posted on Ebay by the seller. The seller has sold at least 8 coins he called DMPL since November. I am wondering if this seller is running a scam by getting coins with a lot of frost on the details and polishing the field as some of the other photos appear similar.

1900 P Morgan Dollar. Nice mirrors and contrast. Looks like a high grade MS/BU DMPL coin.

Difficult to find in a nice DMPL coin for this year. Check photos for condition and grading.

All coins are from a private collection. USA shipping only. Check out my other items.

You almost certainly don't need the seller's permission to return the coin for a refund, and that's regardless of whatever his stated return policy is. Ebay has a well documented history of allowing returns for refunds when the item is "significantly not as described" (SNAD). And I believe this one qualifies.

With all the high quality coins on ebay, there is no reason for people to be chasing problem material. This coin isn't even in a grey area "maybe". The only reason I would list a raw coin is because I don't want to go through the submission process and can therefore save buyers money. But there are many raw coin sellers that seemingly get away with selling uncertified problem coins and make serious profits doing so. But after buyers get burned a few times they get turned off to that sales medium.

I have purchased many coins from e-bay myself. What I have learned is Buy from dealers offering returns, Good pictures are imperative! Stay away from those that are blurry! Stay away from the bright washed out photos! Be careful of the dark ones too! Look for characteristic cartwheeling in the photograph, learn what a Gem example looks like first hand. If you are going to spend big money then have a good picture. I managed a nice MS-64 1939-S walker this way, a MS-66 morgan also.(Raw). So it is not impossible, just have to be careful. Good luck!

You almost certainly don't need the seller's permission to return the coin for a refund, and that's regardless of whatever his stated return policy is. Ebay has a well documented history of allowing returns for refunds when the item is "significantly not as described" (SNAD). And I believe this one qualifies.

Agreed. OP, go ahead and open a case through eBay and force the seller's hand.