• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re-holder or leave it alone?

22 posts in this topic

I would like to get this coin into a new holder yet I'm not sure if the holder itself (I think its a PCGS 4) is scarce or not. I know some early holders are sought after but I don't know if this is one of them.

The holder is in decent shape but the plastic does not have the visual clarity of the current generation which is my primary reason for wanting to re-holder the coin. I collect coins, not holders, and would like to be able to see the coin better. That said, if the early holder adds value, I should also consider that aspect.

Any opinions or knowledge on this matter would be appreciated. Thank you!

11795_zpsabb9b471.jpg

I would leave it as is. One thing about PCGS holders is that they buff up pretty nicely with some plastic polish. I'd probably give that a go...

That coin looks like it has a lot of meat on the bones for a F15. (thumbs u

Personally,

Being that it is an older holder, and I also am not that much into old holders just for themselves, I would leave it because it shows that the coin was encapsulated a long time ago and has not turned in holder.

Shows it less likely to be messed with and having something happen in the holder down the road.

Nice coin and it looks better in that older holder, to me, than it would in a newer one (thinking someone was trying to max it out a number of times with submissions).

I would leave it as is. One thing about PCGS holders is that they buff up pretty nicely with some plastic polish. I'd probably give that a go...

My thoughts exactly; the OP should be able to buff out those marks.

Green label holders can give you a leg up when it is time to sell. The holder does not look to scratched, so I'd get some headlight polish and see if it could be improved.

Just to make the decision harder for you, I'll supply contrary arguments. I don't know that the holder generation makes much difference on this type of coin. Stability is more an issue with copper than these. It's an obvious choice F15 1795 dollar in any generation holder, and the serial number, which I think is kept on a reholder (check this), should be an indication that it wasn't messed with. Aesthetically, this generation holder is not so nice. The label is almost as ugly as the doily, and you could cut yourself on the stacking rim. While the plastic will polish up nicely, it won't be as nice as the newest generation of holders, which will improve the presentation of the coin. You'll also have an opportunity to have it go through the SecurePluserizer for a mug shot and sniff test, which should provide reassurance to a downstream buyer. If the serial number is kept, you can get the CAC sticker replaced, although the fact that it has been stickered will be in their online database. If you're keeping it in your collection indefinitely, by the time you do sell, the "charm" of a green label holder may turn into a stigma that the market perceives as an indication of a coin that will never upgrade.

If it were my coin I'd leave it in the old holder. I don't care for that rather strange looking toning pattern. I wonder if that coin was improperly dipped and later turned in the slab.

If it were my coin I'd leave it in the old holder. I don't care for that rather strange looking toning pattern. I wonder if that coin was improperly dipped and later turned in the slab.

Looks like a relic of the photography...reflection on the slab. (shrug)

Compare with a bunch of VF 20 coins and see if it might upgrade by today's standards, "reconsideration" service may be an option: http://coins.ha.com/itm/early-dollars/silver-and-related-dollars/1795-1-flowing-hair-three-leaves-vf20-pcgs-pcgs-population-179-836-ngc-census-54-622-mintage-160-295-numismedia/a/131425-28589.s

Otherwise reholder and CAC with all the postage could cost you significant money and the wait could be significant this time of year unless you are going to FUN where you can get everything done on site.

Looks like a relic of the photography...reflection on the slab. (shrug)

Yes, that's a reflection. I took a crappy cell phone pic for purposes of this discussion. Am planning on getting new pics done after the new year.

Thank you everyone for your opinions. I still don't know what to do, lol. Will leave it as is for now and I can always revisit this later.

My thoughts exactly; the OP should be able to buff out those marks.

Its not so much scratches to buff. The clarity of the plastic is not up to today's standards... when you tilt the coin, it blurs. Similar to the problem NGC had until they went to the clear plastic a few years back.

I'd leave it alone. I like the old slab and the green CAC sticker. It looks like you can see it just fine to me. I don't think it will upgrade, either, so I'd leave it be. Besides, whether you collect slabs or NOT----truth be told the old slab STILL likely adds some value. Also, I wouldn't be worried about that discontinuity of color either, as it is likely ancient and it looks stable to me.

I would crack it out

take lots of pictures of it

put it in a 7070

or carry it around for awhile as a pocket piece

or use as poker card protector

after a couple years

I would re submit until I got a VF25

The fact that it is in an old holder with a green bean adds two value added arguments that have already been noted here - first, it has been stable in that holder for a long time. Alot of folks feel comfortable with that. When something is in a new holder, you just never know if was recently toyed with (unless the sniffer sez otherwise). Second, those two aspects - old holder and bean, means that if cracked and submitted raw, chances are good for an upgrade. So keeping it as it give you those two value added a factors if you ever decided to sell.

Best, HT

How clear are the lines between fine and vf? I have had Bust material that NGC called VF and graded F12 elsewhere. The real unfortunate reality that encourages all these resubmissions is the fact that people aren't willing to stretch much for a super nice coin if they look up the auction records or GS and see that they are all trading within 10% of other coins in that same grade. Then you see a huge jump in the next higher grade. Is there anything that discourages that crapshoot where collectors and dealers are trying to get their upgrades? It is relatively easy to fix those slabs with the polymers as others have mentioned, which saves the aggravation of reholders, in this case two, PCGS and CAC.

I only collect original slabs, not cleaned slabs. You know, there's an idea. I wonder why PCGS doesn't yet offer a conservation service for their slabs. There's probably a proper way to do it, and an improper way to do it. After all, the slabs are the windows that show off the coins. Why take a chance on goofing them up when you can let the professionals properly conserve them?

Why don't you give them the suggestion. I bet they would be thrilled to have yet another way to have their koolaid drinker pay them again to handle their coins, And I'm sure the drinkers would be pleased to pay them again for them to do so.. After all if it is PCGS it has to be the way to go. :D

Why don't you give them the suggestion. I bet they would be thrilled to have yet another way to have their koolaid drinker pay them again to handle their coins, And I'm sure the drinkers would be pleased to pay them again for them to do so.. After all if it is PCGS it has to be the way to go. :D

Yeah, I'm thinking on it. Except they don't seem to like me over there. So I really don't seem to have any recourse.

But I think it's a great idea. I think it would go a long way in protecting consumers. They already have a coin sniffer over there for their coins, and they can just use it on their slabs, too. I don't want a slab that's been messed with by some slab doctor, do you? That's artificial. Their coin sniffer will be able to tell whether a slab has been messed with by some slab doctor. I don't collect cleaned slabs. I collect only original slabs. I know some people might think that's a little strange, but they're not educated.