• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Time capsule from 1795, with coins, found in Boston

19 posts in this topic

Originally made of cowhide, the time capsule was believed to have been embedded in the cornerstone when construction on the state Capitol began in 1795.

'Leather pouch' toned!

Originally made of cowhide, the time capsule was believed to have been embedded in the cornerstone when construction on the state Capitol began in 1795.

'Leather pouch' toned!

All cleaned in 1855 with acid. All contents exposed to water due to a leak. Oof. :sorry:

I'm surprised, because Paul Revere was involved, that the container wasn't made of pewter or silver or something that could have been rendered water-proof.

Paul

"Cleaned with acid" sounds a lot like early coin dipping to me. Even the revolutionaries/founders were coin doctors :) (I'm clearly joking).

Hopefully no abrasives were used and the coins can be substantially conserved. I wonder if the TPGs will give the coins titles like "Paul Revere Effect," "Sam Adams Effect," or "time capsule effect" (analogizing the so called ship wreck effect labels on coins from certain hoards).

"Cleaned with acid" sounds a lot like early coin dipping to me. Even the revolutionaries/founders were coin doctors :) (I'm clearly joking).

Hopefully no abrasives were used and the coins can be substantially conserved. I wonder if the TPGs will give the coins titles like "Paul Revere Effect," "Sam Adams Effect," or "time capsule effect" (analogizing the so called ship wreck effect labels on coins from certain hoards).

doh! From the Fox News article:

Pam Hatchfield, the head of objects conservation for the museum, removed each item using a slew of tools including her grandfather's dental tool.

As a marketing opportunity NCS and NGC should have had staff on hand to oversee the removal/conservation and eventual encapsulation of the coins :idea:

From the Fox News article:

Pam Hatchfield, the head of objects conservation for the museum, removed each item using a slew of tools including her grandfather's dental tool.

Dental tool is vague, but you're right that it doesn't look very well, and I am not very optimistic.

Here's a picture of some of them, including the 1795 half dime (referred to in one of the articles as a tiny coin dated 1795). There's a flowing hair half dollar that's probably XF details.

2015-01-07T011149Z_762298827_GM1EB170PE901_RTRMADP_3_USA-MASSACHUSETTS-TIME-CAPSULE.jpg

Return the items recovered to the box and reinstalled as a time capsule ???

So in another 200 yrs they can be completely corroded and indistinguishable ??

Why not just preserve them and put them into a museum for all to enjoy?

Return the items recovered to the box and reinstalled as a time capsule ???

So in another 200 yrs they can be completely corroded and indistinguishable ??

Why not just preserve them and put them into a museum for all two enjoy?

I know it's been driving me crazy....why put them back!

Fox "News" is prone to exaggeration and sensationalism anyway....

But they were closer than NBC News.

All told there were 28 coins and one medal (Actually no one seems to be able to count as none of the descriptions in any of the stories actually seem to match the pictures. The descriptions add up to 20, The picture below is labeled 23 coins and a medal. Actual count of the items pictured is 28 coins and one medal. )

http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2015/01/06/items-contents-of-mass-state-house-1795-time-capsule-2/

http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2015/01/06/items-contents-of-mass-state-house-1795-time-capsule-2/#s_23-coins-george-washington-medal_s

According to the Aug. 17, 1855, issue of the Barre Patriot, Barre, Mass., found in the box when it was opened back then were two Massachusetts cents and half cents of 1787 and 1788; U.S. cents of 1793 and 1794; a New Jersey cent of 1787; “an old halfpenny of the time of George the Second”; a U.S. half dollar and half dime of 1795; a Pine Tree shilling “of the currency established in Massachusetts in 1652”; and “a copy of a small medal struck in England in 1794 in honor of Washington,” bearing head and bust of Washington and the inscription, “George Washington, born Virginia, Feb. 11, 1732.” The article said that the coins were still in good shape, and were transferred to a new box along with some newspapers and copper and silver coins of 1855.

It also detailed the inscription found upon the original time capsule as placed there by Adams, Revere and others:

“‘This corner stone of a building, intended for the use of the Legislative and Executive branches of the Government of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, was laid by His Excellency, Samuel Adams, Esq., Governor of said Commonwealth, assisted by the most Worshipful Paul Revere, Grand Master, and the Right Worshipful William Scollay, Deputy Grand Master, the Grand Wardens and Brethren of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, on the 4th day of July, A.D. 1795, A.L. 5795. Being the XXth anniversary of American Independence.’”

When I was a kid I buried some coins in my backyard. This was in the late 60’s. I think I left a note as well. Imagine all the buried treasure out there .