• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

which camera is best for coin photo?

28 posts in this topic

I am still trying to find an inexpensive camera to post coin photos. I understand from what I read that all digital cameras have the macro setting. I just don't know the specifications I need. Perhaps I should ask "which INEXPENSIVE" camera is best?

This is my new photo...nothing special , just the photo

151564.jpg.9c7c32009ed2e7b8fbb5a4d0c5864015.jpg

I like the Canon t3i. The camera is quite capable and the software is very good.

You can tether it to your computer and shoot in live mode. This allows you to see a blown up image on your monitor when focusing/shooting.

As has been stated here many times - the camera is important but the lens, lighting and stand all play important roles.

There are many threads here on the topic - try a search ;)

Money,

There may be something with the way you uoload the pictures also. For YEARS I have used photobucket. I suspect it loses me some resolution when linking them into websites like this one. Photobucket runs soo slow on my old computers and galaxy note ii phone I haven't fooled with settings in forever.

20141126_001435-picsay_zpsnzfytgnh.jpg

This is off my Note II phone through Photobucket and its App's upload.

1986Liberty1_zpse21f6d66.jpg

This from my pre y2k scanner.

There are also chances to lose resolution when transferring photos and in the camera settings. Make sure your camera is set to HIGH resolution and don't use texted photos if you can avoid it.

MarkVIIImarc, I don't have a camera yet. I have been using my scanner and paint.net instead of photobucket. Photo bucket will not work for me. I don't know why, I save my photo from my scanner, open it in photo bucket, click on resize, accept and apply and the photo will not change one bit. I gave it up and switch to paint net. Only problem is when I attempt to enlarge it, I get the pixels and they photo is a mess. I thought my photos would look better using a camera, at least that is what they guys think will work better. So now I am looking for an INEXPENSIVE camera. Nice photo you submitted, what did you use, your scanner or camera?

Messydesk, I don't intend to use it for nothing else. Of course, maybe I will take some photos of family, don't know. I am not a camera, or cell phone person. I used my scanner and paint net but still not able to see details on the coin. I understand all digital camera have Macro settings

This really may be an issue for you as you seem to be technically challenged. Using a digital camera most times will also require photo software to resize and crop. If you at least had a newer cellphone (smartphone), you could download the photobucket app and take pics with the phone and upload from it. With the challenges you face right now, you may just need to look at your scanners owners manual to determine settings on how to accomplish what you are trying to do.

Do you have a camera now? Do you have a phone that has a camera?

It is easy to spend over a thousand dollars on a camera set-up.

There may be a few coin photographers that have over $5000 in their set-up.

Best is a relative term - and even if you have the 'best', you may still shoot crappy photos that no one can see.

If you have a scanner or camera now, you may be able to produce adequate pictures for what you want, if you learn how to run your machine.

Don't get frustrated, just keep adding to your skill-set a little everyday, and hopefully not lose what you learned last week. Do you have any kids, grandkids, nieces, or nephews that can help you with what you have?

I have talked with the technician at Dell and he told me to get a digital camera and the same advice in an article I read about scanning. ....other articles I have read mentioned that a good photo depends on lighting, etc. with the camera being the last thing to consider in other words a cheap camera and macro lens works well. I got confused at that point since all digital cameras have macro settings....

There is a book some recommend

Numismatic Photography by Goodman

http://www.amazon.com/Numismatic-Photography-2nd-Mark-Goodman/dp/193399004X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418081000&sr=8-1&keywords=coin+photography

otherwise learn how to do search of forums here and at PCGS site

your initial question is similar to 'which car is best for driving on road'? as far as I am concerned, as there are many that can get similar results.

I have a scanner, but my photos just have too many of those little squares in them. One camera I like because of the price is the Photosmart M425 and I think it has macro setting.

Most scanners will do a number of different resolutions. I bet your scanner has a pixel setting. Bigger numbers are better.

For my photos earlier in the thread, the first one I took with my cell phone. It is a Galaxy Note II. A decent phone but not cutting edge anymore. The second larger photo is off my old scanner set to the 1200 dpi setting.

MarkVIII...the dpi on the scanner preview page only go to 300dpi. ...you post some great photos and it also depends on "how much a person know"....

It sounds like you have an older model scanner. A newer scanner that can scan with a lot more dpi would probably be cheaper than a decent camera.

Boss, I increased the dpi to 600, using a Lincoln cent's photo. Beautiful, large and clear, only problem is the file manager prompt for "larger than 2000 bytes". Hard for me to figure out what to do now but to try 400 dpi. I usually use 300 dpi and the photos are all pixels. I am going to try 400 dpi to see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion

edit: it will not set at 500 dpi or 400 dpi, it automatically reverts to 300 dpi. I tried the 300 dpi and file manager rejected at 200000 bytes.....sigh...the photo was much clearer w/o the pixels...oh well, I will keep trying..

Is it possible your scanner is trying to scan its whole surface area into memory. On mine there is a box to click for "preview". From there drag the highlighted box corners to a smaller area just around the coin on the preview picture.

Not sure I explained that well but I know what I meant. Thats why I am not a teacher.

Boss, I increased the dpi to 600, using a Lincoln cent's photo. Beautiful, large and clear, only problem is the file manager prompt for "larger than 2000 bytes". Hard for me to figure out what to do now but to try 400 dpi. I usually use 300 dpi and the photos are all pixels. I am going to try 400 dpi to see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion

edit: it will not set at 500 dpi or 400 dpi, it automatically reverts to 300 dpi. I tried the 300 dpi and file manager rejected at 200000 bytes.....sigh...the photo was much clearer w/o the pixels...oh well, I will keep trying..

What is the brand and model? If you do not have the original operators manual, most can be found on the internet. Some scanners can give good results, some not so good, and slabs are harder as there are different levels to focus on and reflections.

You still probably need to learn some file manipulation skills, once you get a pic or scan. (crop, resize, saving, transfering,....)

I have a Dell v515w. I know how to resize, crop, save, open and all of that from doing flyers in school. Scanning is different than making flyers but resizing, etc. is about the same. I had to refresh my memory on some of that. I go real excited when I was able to resize to a very large photo with no squares but, when I tried to post it file manager said it was too large. I don't understand that because of some of the large photos I see in this forum. Now I am trying to find out how large 200000 bytes is. I will keep working on it because I almost had it right. Thanks for the help and suggestions...calling it a day now...it's Tuesday morning...

Yes, I have that "preview" option too. I will try that tomorrow and see if I can work with that...Every teacher knows that most learning comes from hands on experience. So you are there....talk to you guys later today...

The 200000bytes should be 200mb. You keep trying to load to a file manager. Can you not create a folder on your computer and have the scanner send it there?

Yes, boss, I can do that and that is one other option to create a folder and save it in the folder...it can be done...thank you for the reminder. I will also try that.

on my way downtown now...dreary and cool outside after a rainy night...pecans fell in water puddles...sigh...awww life, sweet life...

Your scanner seems to be an all in 1 (printer, copy, fax, scanner, ..).

How is it connected to your computer? is there a USB hardwire connection or is it Wi-Fi?

The 200,000 max file size has me confused, as it is only 200 kB, which is not very large these days. So I do not know where the limitation is occurring - transfer, computer, website, ...

The files posted here being larger than yours, are probably stored larger than yours.

By right clicking on my linked pic, I can see the dimensions are 640 x 480 pixels

DSC07640_zpsf1b5bd0d.jpg

my picture is 143 Kb in size (143,000 bytes)

I am not sure if the Wi Fi scanner to your computer is restricting file size. or somewhere else along the way

That is the message I get when I use file manager to open a file. It will not download and I have found out what it is yet. I been trying to post other photos and DD don't show up. I will work with this a few more days but, I think my best choice is a camera. I am going for the HP photosmart M425, it has macro options. At least it's inexpensive and I don't plan to photograph the world with it. I am just wasting my time with this scanner...

Edit: I see you use photo bucket. When I download photos from my computer to photobucket, it's usually thumbnail size. When I clock on editor and use the resize button, nothing happens. So it's probably my program or something...going to check with Dell but, I am tired...you have nice photos...

thanks for responding