• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleaning pennies....the good the bad and the ridiculous

18 posts in this topic

I am just digging into my old penny collection. Most are well circulated and not much value but it would be nice to have some shine as I line them up by year. I would love a way to clean without causing further harm during or after the cleaning.

Feels like if I can clean and wax my 68 Mustang and polish its chrome I should be able to clean a coin...well it makes sense that after 45 years the bumpers needed to be removed from the car but the penny is stuck with its metal forever lol.

It is AMAZING what is on the internet. Even on a site named penny collector. They want me to get out my dremel! So I included a link for your enjoyment.

http://www.pennycollector.com/tips_clean.html

Some of the suggestions seem a little better. I have taken turtle wax and chrome polish to my car's wheels for a decade to keep them looking decent. I understand coins are different though.

Is there anything which really works in the do it yourself world?

If they are junk cents and you are just curious as to the results, then I've heard that people have used MS70 on copper cents. The only cent I have ever tried to conserve is my 1857 Flying Eagle Cent. It has a little pvc on it and I soaked it in virgin olive oil for a few months. Didn't remove all of it but did improve it. Using brushes, polishers, etc.... will only ruin them!!!

Yeah, everything I had read on here indicates it is better to leave them alone.

Some seem more scuzzy and covered by pocket grime than aged. Any suggestion for them with physical soft "stuff" on them?

You are determined to destroy every bit of collector value on these pennies, aren't you.

Don't clean them.

No offense intended. I knew it was a delicate subject so I tried to be humorous with the title and by making jokes about the link. Plus I asked.

As I stated before, you can soak them in olive oil. It can takes months with this process. Another method for cleaning residue and some grime is Acetone (not the nail polish type). Acetone is HIGHLY FLAMMABLE so it should be used in a very ventilated area. You can swish them around in it for a while. It will not hurt the coins as it doesn't remove any metal. It also evaporates off the coin very quickly.

Verdi-Care might be a good candidate for your project.

I have used it after an acetone bath but the truth is I have not had very much success with any attempts. I may not have been using it correctly. One positive is that it did not destroy or otherwise damage the coin.

Good luck.

don't do it, unless you want to make them worthless

Please indulge me if you will. What adverse effects have you experienced bathing a penny in pure acetone (not fingernail polish remover) and later, after cleaned thoroughly, applying Verdi-Care (which from my experience acts as a protective layer on the coin).

I would be interested to here any adverse effects.

I have never use this box before...but I was watching an online auctions and they have coins from sunken ships (sunken treasure) with a lot of gunk on the coins. If they are sold, will the collector have the coin cleaned or will he/she keep it like it is?

don't do it, unless you want to make them worthless

Please indulge me if you will. What adverse effects have you experienced bathing a penny in pure acetone (not fingernail polish remover) and later, after cleaned thoroughly, applying Verdi-Care (which from my experience acts as a protective layer on the coin).

I would be interested to here any adverse effects.

I have seen no adverse affects with acetone, as was replying to Marks first post question.

Mark if you do not care and consider them only worth a cent anyway, where is a neat chemistry experiment for 'cleaning' or returning cents to unoxidized condition.

I have seen no adverse affects with acetone, as was replying to Marks first post question.

OK. Since it said Re: wdrob and was right after my response I thought it was directed to me.

Thanks

IMG_4046_zps218ebfe5.jpg

Would acetone help remove the dark toning in front of Lincolns profile - without harming the beautiful toning on the rest of the coin?

Sellers pics showed none of the dark spots - I'd love to keep it if the the dark portions could safely be removed.

In my experience, acetone does not remove toning. It is good for removing organic matter and stuff like putty from coins.

Maybe if it was in there for a very long period of time it might eventually effect toning but I tend to think not. I have placed silver toned coins in acetone for quite a while without any changes in toning.

btw; I think that Lincoln looks good like it is. (thumbs u

The only cent I have ever tried to conserve is my 1857 Flying Eagle Cent. It has a little pvc on it and I soaked it in virgin olive oil for a few months.

You tried to remove an oil by soaking it in oil?

Would acetone help remove the dark toning in front of Lincolns profile - without harming the beautiful toning on the rest of the coin?

Probably not, and me it doesn't look natural already.

my 1857 Flying Eagle Cent. It has a little pvc on it and I soaked it in virgin olive oil for a few months. Didn't remove all of it but did improve it.

Olive oil will do absolutely nothing for PVC. Any that was removed was from purely mechanical agitation. You need acetone for that. Acetone will not harm copper - but will quickly and easily remove acetone.

I recommend you take a look at my Article on using Acetone: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=41&Number=2921881

my 1857 Flying Eagle Cent. It has a little pvc on it and I soaked it in virgin olive oil for a few months. Didn't remove all of it but did improve it.

Olive oil will do absolutely nothing for PVC. Any that was removed was from purely mechanical agitation. You need acetone for that. Acetone will not harm copper - but will quickly and easily remove acetone.

I recommend you take a look at my Article on using Acetone: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=41&Number=2921881

I may try that one day. I tried the olive oil a few yrs ago.