• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

About that American coin set with Sagawega dollar...

8 posts in this topic

The problem is that most are probably not worth the fees for grading. You need to learn how to grade for yourself before submitting any.

Dealers have the advantage of submitting them in bulk at discounted rates, and they don't have to sort through the individual coins and/or currency to determine which are the best. You don't have this luxury, so you need to learn to grade.

Chris

Yes, I have read about grading..but, I don't intend to submit a coin until I graded it myself...It's gets confusing when it get into the M60s, etc. The set will receive a special pedigree, I don't know what that is. The 5 minimum will be waived and must be submitted under pmg economy grading tier. Well, I guess it isn't free but, will special pedigree make it worthwhile? By the way, I didn't purchase the set...

The special pedigree is nothing more than the label indicating it was in the set. Also, grading is not free. You have to become a member of NGC. You can see the differents tiers/costs they offer by going to NGC's home page.

I think trying to grade modern mint releases for 69-70 and then sending them in would be a frustrating and expensive endeavor. I would wait a couple years and pick up the scraps on the secondary market. There are exceptions of course that garner large premiums. Just my 2c

I am a member otherwise, I wouldn't be able to post. I just didn't know what pedigree meant. The list? It said it would be waived....but I just thought it would be free...(too good to be true)
r

You are a member of the collectors society forum. You have to PAY to join NGC to be able to have grading submission privileges.