• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Collection Choices

26 posts in this topic

Big? Small? Silver? Gold? Nickel? Copper? Old? New? There are so many different answers to your question based on what you may like or want that I wouldn't even know where to begin.

If you want a challenge, variety, a lot of interesting variations, and a bit of everything, then I'd recommend a type set. You can tailor it to suit your needs (although, I'll have to admit - a prooflike type set is not for the faint of heart!)

Roosevelt Dimes, Washington Quarters, and Franklin Half Dollars in MS66 with nice toning;

Thanks CM, out of those choices the Quarter is a possibility for my likes and will be taken into consideration

Nothing wrong with the grades being all over the place. It's more important that you like the individual coins. Don't be a slave to the number on a tag when determining what you want to collect. For commems, if this means that while you'll have an Iowa in 67 and your Sesqui might be a 64, make sure they're both attractive coins.

Thanks............I like the early comms, but based on the pricing the grades would be all over the place. What are your thoughts on that?

For me personally, I have coins from AU to MS68. It's all about eye appeal. I try to stick with the coins that are just below the big run up in pricing. For the most part, I do not rush and overpay. There's always another coin in that grade in the next auction.

I enjoy the history behind each coin, positive or negative.

Edited to add: I'm just now starting to try and find the no-line fatty NGC and PCGS green label and rattlers as a new requirement for coins I need for this set.

:)

Thanks............I like the early comms, but based on the pricing the grades would be all over the place. What are your thoughts on that?

For me personally, I have coins from AU to MS68. It's all about eye appeal. I try to stick with the coins that are just below the big run up in pricing. For the most part, I do not rush and overpay. There's always another coin in that grade in the next auction.

I enjoy the history behind each coin, positive or negative.

:)

good answer lee and i agree with you 100%

Roosevelt Dimes, Washington Quarters, and Franklin Half Dollars in MS66 with nice toning;

Thanks CM, out of those choices the Quarter is a possibility for my likes and will be taken into consideration

I recommended the three that I did because several nice coins can be had in the under $75 range, and often, the pieces can be had for much less than that. If you are willing to step it up a bit, I would expand my recommendation to consider perhaps a Liberty Walking Half Dollar mint state short set and maybe Morgan Dollar and Peace Dollars. For the common dates, I would look for at least gem coins, so you are looking in the $100-$150 range per coin.

You could also consider a type set as Jason has suggested, or for an even more radical idea, don't set your heart on a specific set. Buy what you like when the coins are eye appealing, reasonably priced, and when finances permit. Also, quality matters than quantity for a good number of collectors, myself included. I would rather have one coin that I thoroughly enjoy than several coins of poor quality. As your collecting tastes mature, this is something that you will appreciate. There is nothing wrong with going long periods without buying coins. The hunt itself can be fun. I have become very fussy and I now buy less than a dozen coins per year, but the coins I purchase are usually more expensive and of higher quality than I would have purchased starting out. And I enjoy my collection and collecting generally even more than when I started out seriously collecting coins.

I'm having a good time with an OPD CBH set right now. They're pretty inexpensive in the VF-XF grades. They're also extremely easy to grade, and attributing Overton numbers is fun/challenging. I have an OPD set going in a Dansco and another in my NGC registry.

Two of my favorites:

(1) Walker short set with color (very affordable in 63-65)

(2) Merc short set with/without color, with/without FB (no stoppers except the FB 45 and affordable in most grades)

I'm having a good time with an OPD CBH set right now. They're pretty inexpensive in the VF-XF grades. They're also extremely easy to grade, and attributing Overton numbers is fun/challenging. I have an OPD set going in a Dansco and another in my NGC registry.

Two of my favorites:

(1) Walker short set with color (very affordable in 63-65)

(2) Merc short set with/without color, with/without FB (no stoppers except the FB 45 and affordable in most grades)

OP, his recommendations are also very good. I hadn't thought about how affordable that some of the Bust Half Dollar coins are in lower grades. Just don't set your heart on a complete date or variety set as there are some stoppers, even in lower grades.

Lots of great ideas and advice already.

IMO, the #1 piece of advice is to buy coins that appeal to your eye and don't worry about the numerical grade. Like Mark F. just stated, don't be a slave to collecting!

I don't think you have to even complete a set. It's your choice. You are the only one that needs to be happy with your collection.

I'm now focusing on a type set a.k.a 7070. I want them graded. I'm buying them in different grades depending on the coin. For example, I'm not a big Barber fan, so I won't spend as much on those types as I would for the CBH or gold pieces, but I will make sure that the coin I choose for the set is eye appealing and a nice example for the grade.

You'll be the only one looking at your coins on a daily/weekly basis so it's important that you like the coins.

Not sure of the your budget but I would think affordable would be less then $200 per coin and with most date/mintmarks being under $100. Eye appeal can mean in gem grades or with toning or just nice - IDK. I also assume you would want graded coins.

Assuming you want to do MS coins only - that rules out some of the coins mentioned already - Washingtons, Peace $ & even a date set Morgan $ have keys that will far exceed the under $200 goal.

I would do a War Jeff Nickel Set in MS67 with toning. Those can be had for under $200 a coin and its short so it can be accomplished. Tyler Norton recommended the short Merc Dime & Walker set and I agree. Forget color on those though.. you will exceed $200 a coin in higher MS grades.

If this person likes big coins - have them try a full Ike set in MS65/66 and Proof 69DCAM. And if you want to make it even more difficult - do all of them toned.

A toned Ike set will take years to finish and you will have to hunt and hunt and probably submit many of the coins yourself but it can be done.

Non-FBL toned Franklins can be done relatively cost effectively.

Whatever you choose - Good luck and happy hunting.

If this person likes big coins - have them try a full Ike set in MS65/66 and Proof 69DCAM. And if you want to make it even more difficult - do all of them toned.

A toned Ike set will take years to finish and you will have to hunt and hunt and probably submit many of the coins yourself but it can be done.

An Ike set is an interesting idea, but given the bulk of the coins, the coins are often heavily abraded and eye appeal will suffer. Higher graded coins are available, but even in MS66-MS67, the prices for some of the business strikes can easily exceed $1000. Even in MS65, many will have mediocre eye appeal. Ike toners are also expensive if you are hoping for any significant, eye appealing toning.

If you would recommend where somebody should start collecting a set, something affordable, but still able to find good coins with eye appeal, what would you recommend? And why?

Morgan Dollars. Easily the set that would qualify with your parameters. The majority of dates are available in gem quality that is affordable. Morgans are among the most widely collected coins and are readily available on the open market.

Carl

camp gate small bronze coinage of CONSTANTINE

extremely beautiful

and of great historical importance

huge value opportunity priced

with a fundamental reason to rise in demand

price points for every collector in the 30-45 dollar range up to hundreds of dollars maybe thousands for rarer choice to superb specimens

pillar and portrait 8 reales even the smaller demoninations 1/2 real 1 real 2 reales 4 reales

in circulated grades approx. 1732 through the first quarter of the 19th century so many to choose from and truly

one of the most active and official circulating coins of the americas and official circulating coinage of the entire world and circulating legal t3ender until the late 1850's in the usa

huge historical significance and for every budget

with great value and opportunity

with a fundamental reason to rise in demand

i could choose more but here is a start............................................

PLEASE read my statement below; thanks

You should select something you like based upon the quality you want to buy. You never mentioned your budget or what you plan to spend. Also, you didn't give any indication how important it is to either get most, all or even more of your money back.

You shouldn't make a selection that you cannot realistically afford either. For example, someone mentioned the CBH and though in circulated grades it is affordable by US standards because all of the dates are either common or relatively common, I don't consider the series "cheap" in VF or XF for a set of "collector" coins. The series is definitely very popular but a few of the coins such as the 1815 and 1807 are too expensive for the "budget" collector and so are some of the Reeded edge dates if those are included.

Michael also mentioned what I believe are some very good choices if you are interested in considering non-US coins. I am particularly partial to the pillar minors but there are many other coins off the beaten path (such as silver Byzantine in AU or MS) that are relatively affordable for the "budget" collector if bought in isolation.

When I was evaluating this question back in 1998 after I resumed collecting, I priced various US series in different grades. Today, it can be done using the Heritage archives which are real prices versus the Red Book I used. This is what I would do as it would give you an idea of the cost of each alternative and whether you can afford it. You can also get an idea of the price trends because depending upon the series, you may also find that you can afford something now but might be priced out later before you can "finish" it.

Thanks all, some great ideas........lots to consider

Is this for you or someone else relatively new to coins?

Before I started a set, I would figure out roughly how much set would cost me like I would want it and time frame I wanted to complete it in. Most people are on some sort of budget and there is no reason to start a set you could not reasonably complete in 10 years with available funds.

Things I would also consider

- raw or certified?

- current / my lifetime or before my birth

- circulating or proof

- complete set or partial

- total required coins for set

- time I am willing to work on set

- what do I like now

- what do I do best grading

- where will I get coins