• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Native American set ...

71 posts in this topic

This set becomes available on November 20th from the Mint. If I purchase the set, it would be a first for me. What I really don't know is, if it's worth it...I don't know if it's silver set or not, I am sure it isn't gold. Any advice on buying set? For those who want to know if I did research, no I didn't. There are just some things that are better answered by those with "hands on experience" in buying sets

Thank you

why are you buying the set?

a few years ago, someone calculated it would have cost over $35K to buy every mint offering that year...

in most cases, you can purchase mint products on eBay a couple years after release for less than mint issue - the exception is when bullion jumps in value or an extremely popular issue.

Well I'm presuming that the email didn't come from the US Mint. The only native american coins that are from the mint are the sacagawea dollars. These are in the Uncirculated Sets, Proof Sets, and the Uncirculated Dollar Sets. These are made mostly of manganese and I've never seen "any" made of silver. If coming from a marketing mint company, you may be looking at some silver plated ones. So where did the email come from?

What I really don't know is, if it's worth it..Thank you

Moneyhoney, you seem really confused about what you are trying to accomplish here. Do you want to be a collector or a dealer? Until you answer that question you cannot really get a definitive answer. If you want to be a collector, buy what YOU like. A lot of us here will pay a premium for something we like. A lot purchased the Kennedy 4 coin set that is worth about 30 bucks in silver content, and we paid 100 bucks for it. A lot of people feel a connection with Kennedy and the price is somewhat immaterial. But if you want to be a dealer you have to look at other factors. Cost becomes a little more important. Experience and knowledge become even more important.

As to your question is it worth it, well that is for you to decide......if you buy it because you like it and want to collect along those lines I say get it, it's worth it, but if you want to turn a quick profit, you will probably be disappointed.

This set becomes available on November 20th from the Mint. If I purchase the set, it would be a first for me. What I really don't know is, if it's worth it...I don't know if it's silver set or not, I am sure it isn't gold. Any advice on buying set? For those who want to know if I did research, no I didn't. There are just some things that are better answered by those with "hands on experience" in buying sets

Thank you

It definitely will not be a silver coin so you can forget that aspect.

At $13.95, I would not put it real high on a want list nor a list where I thought that values might seriously escalate.

I actually think I'd put it on my "Loser List" of products to avoid.

The Kennedy Set called The 2014 Coin Discovery Set might have some possibilities though. By that, I mean it would not be the 1st time that someone seriously screwed up and put a Kennedy which was not intended to go into the set...........in the Set.

In 2012, some of the Birth Year Sets contained 2012 90% Silver Kennedy Proofs which turned into a windfall for some.

Edited to add: After reading the thread I can see that there was no mention that the online edition of Coin World made this announcement today.

22014Products11-20-2014.jpg

The email heading reads "U.S. Mint" 2014 Native American $1 coin and currency. Also, U.S Mint "America the beautiful" 2014 quarter circulating set (5D, 5P) Another proof set 14 coins 90% silver $31.95 SMM. Silver Proof 2014 $53.95. I got the email and I was passing it along. This is from the United States Mint, which I signed up to receive email. I have learned a lot by looking at what they sell. I also read about companies selling plated silver coins, etc. The dollars will be a thing of the past..well I don't want to get into it with you guys...I am just a "junkie". You guys really get irked with me...sorry about that. I willingly accept your advice....

I got the email from the U.S. Mint. I am new here and I appreciate your thoughts but some of you guys are real hard-hearted... :( and puffed up..
"Puffed up"? I would re-read newpreppers post and then consider what your own interests or goals are as a collector. Enjoyment, resale, a combination, etc. 2c

I don't know if it's silver set or not, I am sure it isn't gold.

...That is one of the reasons that I recommended the Red Book! It has soooooo much information in it, like, for example, what the coins are made of and other very very good to know facts.

I'm not trying to upset you just merely point out a bit of advice... (thumbs u

I wasn't aware of this Native American set being offered. Anyway, it's basically a nice crisp $1 bill and an uncirculated sacagawea dollar. If it floats your boat then get one my friend. lol Btw, the sac dollar is not silver. You can go broke buying all the sets that the mint offers, so try not to get caught up in sets that will most likely not hold any future value. If you want them for your own collection, then go for it.

I got the email from the U.S. Mint. I am new here and I appreciate your thoughts but some of you guys are real hard-hearted... :( and puffed up..

I'm 65 years old, and I've been a collector since I was 10. I was also a dealer for over 10 years. Over that length of time I have many good deals and bad deals.

These sets are not good deals, unless you only want them for personal enjoyment. There is no silver in these sets. They are all base metal coins with a piece paper thrown that have been issued in other venues. You are buying the packaging, and a lot of private companies sell the same thing for inflated prices. People are greatly disappointed when they try to sell these items. It might look nice, but the collector value is just not there.

sigh......I was only asking questions...sigh...apparently some guys have been nice...other not so nice...thanks to those who helped me understand some things....I guess at times I may appear to be a collector other times a seller...just haven't got myself straighten out, so I ask all types of questions....sorry....I guess I will have to found another group or just keep reading...thanks for everything...yes, some of you guys are up over your heads in your great and fabulous collection and don't have time for junkies like me...it wasn't my intention to do what you are implying.....sorry if you got the wrong impression...nice talking to everybody...take care....I never felt like I was welcome in the first place...but I hung in there....

Great, glad you had a good "ride" here. I guess I was heading in two directions at the same time. I have all these coins here and I see this and I see that and I start asking questions...some got the wrong impression...that was a nice response, not puffed up...thanks....I think I belong with the cherry pickers group...it's more my style and I am guessing at that...some many things to consider and I was asking question about this and about that and some of the guys don't like it....so thanks been great finding information...I signed up for the mail out of interest and after prices for silver dropped, I started reading article about what to do. I was wrong to post here asking questions and passing on info from the email that I had.....thanks and good luck, you been in coin collections a long time, take care...been real nice talking to some but some was just irate...I was going in too many directions and asking questions but it wasn't up to them to question my intentions, if I saw something that interest me, I asked questions.....

I didn't say it was silver..as far as I know it isn't silver the best is the Cheerio's Sacagawea dollar...I read up on that and I don't have that...I have the normal dollar which isn't worth as much as the cheerio's dollar...well, I was just reading article in reference to silver prices dropping and now was a good time to buy and I signed up that the mint's mailing list. I did ask the question here but someone wanted to know "do you want somebody to tell you to buy it?" I was just asking the questions and got some good answers but some guy got irate...boy take the coin collections TOO serious. ...thanks for the response....and I didn't say the Sacagawea was a silver dollar. I was quoting about the native Indian set that is being offered and there was another set also of 14 and 7 coins was silver coins. I might have got them confused ....but I know Sacagawea isn't silver..

United States Coins guide book. It's red but it isn't THE red book, just smart advertising......this book has the composition of each coin too but at the beginning I got lost with the prices which is for M and PR coins, It also have a list to grade coins an I finally came to the conclusion those prices are of Mint and Proof.....Some guys with all those fabulous photos and coins, got big heads and I don't like the way they talk...that's all, they always accusing me , and I cant help what they think. I get a lot of answers by asking questions, lot of question. Silver is bank up and so is gold and I was looking at the prices and website saying it's a good time to buy...so I started asking questions...one big-head collector wanted to know if I wanted somebody to tell me to buy...I wanted info, the cons and pros because most of the guys here been in collecting a long time....oh, well...some guys ego bigger than the blow up photos they post....like to hang with the "Trumps of coin collecting"...

SIGH..... you are not getting played. For once perhaps you may encountered an honest person, I cant help how people think. I am sorry you guys feel that way....I will not post because I am not too welcome here, never did but I made the best of it. I am not a guy I am a 72 year old lady. Yes, I am...now that should be a laugh for you guys....thanks for everything...

:facepalm:

as a 72 year old lady, you should already know what type of coins you like and want to collect, Surely something you remember as a kid, silver coinage, buffalo nickels, indianhead cents, walking liberty halves....

SIGH..... you are not getting played. For once perhaps you may encountered an honest person, I cant help how people think. I am sorry you guys feel that way....I will not post because I am not too welcome here, never did but I made the best of it. I am not a guy I am a 72 year old lady. Yes, I am...now that should be a laugh for you guys....thanks for everything...

:facepalm:

No laughs, but I really think if you would've let everyone know who you were, then some of the responses might have gone a little easier. My mom is 71, and as much as she loves her ipad, I think she would be very limited on being able to post pictures of coins or know how to properly search the internet for a lot of the questions that you have asked. Now I can understand some of your frustration in some of the coins and questions you have shown and asked. My advice is if you are still interested in coins and collecting that you still go to Yahoo or Google search and type in any questions about a certain coin that you may have or are interested in. You would be surprised at how many links that may come up with basically the same answers. If you get stumped, then ask, we are still here to help but it also helps if you take some of the advice that is given. Maybe also rephrasing a question differently so everyone actually knows what you are asking. I hope this helps in some way!

I have some rest experience on people like this. I think anyone would have known this but if I have to spell it out, I will. We seem to be dealing with an internet troll. It's sad that I came to this forum to get away from the trolls but apparently they exist here. Translation ignore the post at all cost

Actually, I disagree - I don't think moneyhoney is a troll.

I've been following (and replying) to her posts since she started posting here. To me, she seems to be exactly what she says she is: an older woman who doesn't have very much technical expertise and who is rather confused about coin collecting.

When she arrived here, she said she was interested in selling off some inherited coins that her father had accumulated during his years as a storekeeper. I presume that either he, or someone else, told her that the coins were valuable, but she had no idea why.

She received a lot of advice about how to sell her coins, but, I think that except for the very obvious (like how to sell silver coins), most of the advice just confused her.

And then she got distracted and thought she might be interested in collecting coins - but wasn't able to explain what coins she was interested in collecting or why she was interested.

I think this is a case of misunderstanding all around.