• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need Help with a Possible Mint ERROR! New Update with Pic's!

13 posts in this topic

I bought a 2013 W Girls Scout Uncirculated Silver Dollar in December of 2013 before the US Mint's cut off date. When I received it, I inspected it through the capsule and noticed a marking above the head of the Girls in the Reverse of the coin. At first I thought it was a button of the cap. As month's went by and seen several of them being sold. However, neither of them had the same marking on the reverse of coin. Upon looking at it even more with a 30x loop. It became clearer that this was no button for a cap, but it looks like if the coin was struck through. I researched to see if there is any other out there. I have not yet found one with the same issue. I would like to send it in to NGC or PCGS for grading, but I don't know if they will reject it because of the way it was struck or maybe it doesn't meet their criteria. Please help me with this issue? I don't know what to do? I need some feedback in what to do. The Coin has never been removed from original US Mint Capsule! I still have the paperwork from the US Mint verifying the purchase. Thank you! Please Help me with this? image2.JPG

image1.JPG

occasionally you will find a coin that is struck through a chunk of wire or other item.

Most TPGs require grading as an error, which costs more - usually so much it is better to keep or sell raw (unless the error is dramatic)

I believe that the odds of it being worth it to have the coin graded are quite slim.

I agree with this.

OP, it would still be helpful to see images to make sure that the coin is a strike through. It could be, but damage would need to be ruled out. I agree with the poster above that even if it is a strike through, it probably wouldn't be worth grading especially if it is that small.

Do you think it's a strike through? I didn't know to what to make of it. How often does the West Point Mint make mistakes? Do you think it's worth sending it in to NGC or PCGS for grading? I'm a member for both. Every advise helps since I'm new to collecting.

Do you think it's a strike through? I didn't know to what to make of it. How often does the West Point Mint make mistakes? Do you think it's worth sending it in to NGC or PCGS for grading? I'm a member for both. Every advise helps since I'm new to collecting.

Unless a coin has a "significant" strike through, I think its foolish to submit a coin for a Strike Through label. Even some significant strike throughs are just a waste of money as the $55+ required at PCGS will never be recovered.