• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reverse of Eisenhower 1972 dollar

20 posts in this topic

I hope this is clear enough to determine if this is a type 2 variety of this coin...

Your opinion is greatly appreciated (worship)

according to what I read online "only those with MM S from 1971-1978 are 40% silver. I will have this coin graded for sale

151031.jpg.ed0bb84b6ddf58b6a6fb8e6c8bdaa11a.jpg

151032.png.176b5f0de55469f8ec83b2eef04aa564.png

Type 3 Reverse.

Consider the following image as it illustrates the different "Earth Types" for the Eisenhower Series:

T1-T2-T3-T6-T7EarthCopyright-eBay-1.jpg

Your coin is an exact match for Type 3.

Now, a few words about the Type 2 Reverse.

The Type 2 Reverse was actually intended for the 1971-S and 1972-S Silver Proof Coins. The Islands of the coast of Florida are not represented by hunks of metal in relief off the coins surfaces (as in the Type 1, Type 2, and Type 6) but are actually lines incused "into" the coins surface to give the impression of islands. With very weak business strikes, it can appear that no islands exist but they are there.

Another note about the different "Earth Types" is that the overall shape of the Continent is completely different on the 4 different types but only through close study, can you actually see the differences.

I didn't mean type 2...it definitely doesn't look like type 2. I am very grateful that you took the time to photo each type. Very good and clear photos, perhaps I will be able to post photos that well one day.

A big thank you....the coin I have is a very good coin, I haven't attempted to grade it yet but if I have to guess I say XF and excuse me if I am wrong.

Thank you again and I make notes and I can put this one with my notes... (worship)

I know that you rely a lot on the help from these boards, but a simple google search for your same question here will get you results a lot faster than waiting on replies here. You really should try it once!

I didn't mean type 2...it definitely doesn't look like type 2. I am very grateful that you took the time to photo each type. Very good and clear photos, perhaps I will be able to post photos that well one day.

A big thank you....the coin I have is a very good coin, I haven't attempted to grade it yet but if I have to guess I say XF and excuse me if I am wrong.

Thank you again and I make notes and I can put this one with my notes... (worship)

Well you have me confused then because if you didn't mean "Type 2" then why did you say "I hope this is clear enough to determine if this is a type 2 variety of this coin..." ?

As for grading, the Type 3 Reverse only steps into value at MS63 or above with MS65 being around $150-$200.

BTW, the Type 2 question is a quite common question since the three different types do exist for 1972 thanks to Herb Hicks discoveries.

according to what I read online "only those with MM S from 1971-1978 are 40% silver. I will have this coin graded for sale

not entirely correct as nickel clad proofs were available in 73 through 78, and no silver clad in 77 or 78.

According to what I read online "only those with MM S from 1971-1978 are 40% silver. I will have this coin graded for sale

You need to read it again then since there were no 1977-S OR 1978-S 40% Silver Eisenhower dollars.

AND not all S mint Eisenhower Dollars were 40% Silver.

Specifically:

1973-S CnClad Proof

1974-S CnClad Proof

1976-S Type 1 CnClad Proof

1976-S Type 2 CnClad Proof

To make It even more confusing, there were some 1974-D 40% Silver coins made in error AND some 1977-D 40% Silver coins made in error. But I could almost guarantee that you'll not come across either of those.

Finally, a piece of friendly advice: Don't bother having your coin graded or you'll end up kicking yourself in the but when it sells for less than what you paid to have it graded.

I do boss, I had already researched that Eisenhower and had labeled it as type 3. I posted it incorrectly but, it's always good to get a second opinion. However, I realized there are some collectors here that are frustrated with me asking questions. I will continue to post when I have questions and if someone prefer not to respond I let it go at that. If there are some that will respond I appreciate the help. Everybody have their own opinion and I realize that I am in the forum with of lot of professional coin collectors and I expect to get negative reactions.

Thank you and that is more than a "friendly piece of advice". I agree with you and I thought about that too. As I said before ebay is a good indicator of how well certain coins are being sold. There are so many of the same thing that has been there for some time.

That statement said that the only 40% silver would be the S MM. It's confusing reading info from one website to another. It helps to have some prior knowledge and that is the reason I ask questions however, there are some in this forum who are frustrated with me asking questions. I thank those who responds. I make a note of advice that I get in the forum and try to remember...but I don't forget some things...

Thank you for taking your time to type that info and I really appreciate it :)

Type 3 Reverse.

Consider the following image as it illustrates the different "Earth Types" for the Eisenhower Series:

The Type 2 Reverse was actually intended for the 1971-S and 1972-S Silver Proof Coins. The Islands of the coast of Florida are not represented by hunks of metal in relief off the coins surfaces (as in the Type 1, Type 2, and Type 6) but are actually lines incused "into" the coins surface to give the impression of islands. With very weak business strikes, it can appear that no islands exist but they are there.

Another note about the different "Earth Types" is that the overall shape of the Continent is completely different on the 4 different types but only through close study, can you actually see the differences.

this is something good to have for future reference

Type 3 Reverse.

this is something good to have for future reference

Something else to remember is that the 1971-S thru 1973-S 40% Silver Business Strikes each have the different Reverse Types in sequence.

1971-S 40% Silver Business Strike = Type 1

1972-S 40% Silver Business Strike = Type 2

1973-S 40% Silver Business Strike = Type 3

An astute collector will memorize the types and be on the look out for possible variations and/or die marriage differences.

For example, a 1971-S 40% Silver Business Strike with possibly a Type 2 reverse?

Anything is possible for this highly neglected coin series.

I have to read up on business strikes because I don't know what it means. I will keep looking but, since I have just started this I cant remember to look for everything when I see a coin. I am in the habit now of watching everybody's change. I think I need to change that..

Moneyhoney, it doesn't hurt to make a habit checking change as long as you aren't eyeing strangers in supermarket lines. lol It's easy to get obsessed in the beginning of your new found hobby, but i still advise that you search the internet. There is a load of helpful information out there. Just type in a question you would ask here and see what you find. Then if there's a specific question that it did not answer, ask here. There is soo much to learn about coins that the majority of people out there have no clue to the extent of it. Try to concentrate of what you are interested in, instead of trying to gather everything about everything all at once. It will definately get too confusing after a while. You don't want to get frustrated from not understanding something by intaking too much information. Slow down and enjoy the hobby while you learn my friend.

Hello and thanks boss. Haven't heard from you lately...good to hear some good advice. Got stuck today with a bank roll. In one roll was a "Commonwealth of Bahamas" coin. I was surprised to find that because when I took my coins there, the teller went through each roll. She removed the black five cents. It was still a nickel but it was rejected. I am going to clean it hopefully I can remove some of the yuck on there. It was black but I thought they would take it.

I have to read up on business strikes because I don't know what it means. I will keep looking but, since I have just started this I cant remember to look for everything when I see a coin. I am in the habit now of watching everybody's change. I think I need to change that..
Here's a quick lesson.

There are two types of commonly accepted strikes.

Business Strikes (basically coins struck for circulation OR coins not struck as Proofs)

Proof Strikes

Proof Strikes are done with specially prepared (polished) planchets and specially prepared (polished) dies. Coins are struck on higher tonnage presses (more pressure) and each coin is hand fed into the coining press to avoid "coin to coin" contact. These are produced solely for collectors and/or special occasions. "Proof" coins typically have mirrored fields and cameo contrasting devices.

Business Strikes are mass fed into the coining presses, struck only once using lower tonnage coining presses, and are what you typically get at the bank for circulation uses in daily transactions.

Some special collector coins, such as the 40% Silver Eisenhower Dollars, are not intended for circulation (like the proof coins) but they are not struck with highly polished dies. The quality is typically much higher than standard business strikes but they still suffer from coin to coin contact.

So, in the future, when a poster refers to a 40% Silver Business Strike, he means a collector coin that's NOT a proof but is of a higher quality than standard circulating coins.

Make Sense?

I'm having a difficult time here understanding your post. Where are you finding your information from? What confuses me is when you google 71-78 S Ike silver dollar you'll more and likely are going to bring up 71-74 silver ike proofs & Bi-Centennial 76'. So we're does it say that all S mm ike dollars are 40% silver? As everyone else here has said the same thing not all S mm are 40% Ag.

As for a grade your photo isn't big enough or a clear picture to really grade it. But if I had to it would be a XF 45. I could be wrong too. It's defenantly a type 3 but not worth getting graded, You would be wasting time and money. Your better off by either filling a album or giving it to someone else for a nice gift.

To make It even more confusing, there were some 1974-D 40% Silver coins made in error AND some 1977-D 40% Silver coins made in error. But I could almost guarantee that you'll not come across either of those.

I actually have come across the 74-D 40%. It's up for sale for a cool $50 grand. The funniest thing about that coin is that the person found it at the bank by mistake.