• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1946-S Walking Liberty Half, what say ye?

25 posts in this topic

I went to the "twice a year" local coin show this past weekend. I always set my expectations very low, but I found one coin that I really liked this year. It isn't the best strike on the planet, but the toning really caught my eye. Shades of lilac and a bit of crimson and gold on the obverse. The reverse was the real draw though, with shades of similar lilac, rose, and peripheral tones of crimson, orange, and just a touch of deep blue. Forgive the darned scuff on the obverse slab...I tried 3 different polish compounds to no avail. (shrug)

Feel free to guess the grade if you'd like. Just goes to show, even at a small local show with 7 dealers there are occasional keepers to be found.

Cheers, Brandon

1946S_WalkingLibHalf_colorful_composite_zpsd9fc2fae.jpg

1946S_WalkingLibHalf_colorful_obv_zpsf13548c3.jpg

1946S_WalkingLibHalf_colorful_rev_zpsbe57a87c.jpg

I like the colors on that one.

7 dealers? Sheesh, what's the point of even having that show?

Not every show is Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach, or ANA. And, I'm not complaining since it's about a 3 minute drive from my house...it passes the time on a Sunday. ;)

I love the colors

whats up with the left field just off the leg?

are those die cracks?

small shows are the greatest as you have a much better chance of

cherrypicking something awesome

whats up with the left field just off the leg?

are those die cracks?

I'm not seeing what you are. Are you talking about the scuffs on the slab?

46-S's can come nice and this certainly fits the bill. I could see this in a 65 holder but think it's in a 64………………….MJ

Most of you are spot on. This coin is graded MS64, in an NGC generation 3 holder (no line fatty, no hologram, graded in 1988/1989). The obverse is definitely what's holding the coin back. There are some luster breaks in the right field, and what looks to me to be either a small strike through or a planchet void below the "T" in LIBERTY. The strike on the obverse isn't great (the branch thumb and the head aren't anything to write home about), but the skirt lines are decent. The OD of GOD and US of TRUST are also weak.

The reverse is what bowled me over for this coin. There are essentially no distracting marks or issues, and the strike is quite good. I know it's not "normal" for a reverse of a coin to be the driver, but at the price the dealer asked I couldn't quibble too much.

This was one of those cases where I felt like I almost needed to give the dealer a bit more than he asked. The coin was not marked for a price in his case. I asked to see the coin, gave it a good look over, was very pleased when I turned it over and saw the reverse. I asked simply "what do you have on this?" He went for his gray sheet -- looked for a bit, and quoted me $65. I stuttered just a smidgen, as I thought I misheard. I quietly but assuredly stated, "ok, I'll take it". I had in my mind that I would go up to $140 after looking it over decently (that's about full retail for one grade up). Needless to say, I was very happy. It is a lovely coin in hand.

Ah, gosh, I'm too little, too late. FWIW, I think the market-makers still call her MS64. Maybe she gets one of those plusses or star thingys. I don't let a girl like this get away from me at anything under solid MS65 money, I'll tell you that.